Team-BHP - Virus problems/spyware problems! post here!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Virus problems/spyware problems! post here! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/50187-virus-problems-spyware-problems-post-here.html)

i havn't seen any thread dedicated to above. i can see many members facing such issues and in the process reformatting to solve the issue. WHich is a painfull process.

Post here and will try to solve them earliest as possible.

Some of the tools i recommend are given below. Download them they are totally free and does great job if used properly. Google them.

1. AVG, from free.grisoft.com
a very good antivirus abd above all totally free.

2. Hijackthis. 'The' tool for cleaning up job.

3. Malwarebytes. very useful tool for removing rootkit, adware, spyware.

4. SDfix. this is a geek tool, but quite effective.

5. Combofix, this is also a geek tool but the creater has put some uselessly expiry thingy.

6. Spybot search and Destroy. a great spyware removal tool.

Will explain in comming days when ever I am free, how to use each of the above effectively.

Thanks & Regards

Possibly OT but why suffer the virii headaches? Use other O/S's.

I like kaspersky over any other anti virus right now.
Does its job pretty good .

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudev (Post 1082375)

The problem is getting softwares. I am doing project on 3D Max and its difficult to run these type of applications other than windows. Maya is available for Fedora, but not the best. The availability of development tools compel us to use Windows.
And its not that linux is virus free. It also gets affected and when it does, it is very difficult to solve the issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 (Post 1082464)
I like kaspersky over any other anti virus right now.
Does its job pretty good .

Kaspersky was never a good experience for me. As soon as I uninstall it, I have virus. And I am talking about the free trial version that lead to this.

Presently Free AVG works for me well.

I am using Quick Heal Anti Virus software right now. Its working well with Vista and it scannes not just the Drives, but also the rootkit and the memory. Above all its INDIAN. Surely it does not come free, but well the kind of important work and files we have on the comp, its good investing in one.

kaspersky is also good. But its a licensed one, unless you are downloading a patch key available everywhere on net.
Main problem with Kaspersky is that its engine crashes and prone to infection.

Quick Heal is a great software, its indian and very quick in scanning the now notorious USB drives too. Again! you need to buy it.

i am stressing on freeware here. and please do post problems only!!

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudev (Post 1082375)

I have been using a Mac for the last couple of years. Zero virus problem, touch wood. And obviously I don't have any anti-virus. I surf all possible virus infected sites in the world.

Once you get the taste of Apples it's difficult to go back to bananas.

I had created a similar thread but specific to something called 'Windows 2009 anti-spyware' :-)
I used AVG freeware to get rid of it.

Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...re-2009-a.html

Guys

My Chrome browser(on Windows 8) seems to be affected by a virus. Anything I click, opens up a new tab that carries, the url (http://cdn.cloudwm.com/), which I think is the virus. I think even my google results are being manipulated.

Any idea on how to get rid off it? It's become a real pain.

Quote:

Anything I click, opens up a new tab
Try to reset Chrome settings

https://support.google.com/chrome/an..._topic=3434353

Run a program called hitman pro and another called spybot search and destroy.

These will identify the malware for you. Then we can discuss ahead.

Facing couple of issues on Chromium.

OS - Win 7
AV - Kaspersky

While browsing many sites, including TBHP, when I click on that webpage, a new tab opens to junk site - url contains the word cobalten, and then this page changes to another junk site with URL containing the word newsprofin

any thoughts on how to resolve this issue ?

This happens on Chrome, but not on Firefox.

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 4446729)

Hi Condor,
Funny, this is a common problem when you download free ware from shady sites. What has happened is the home page has been changed to 'cobalten' in Chrome settings.

How to rectify :
Hope it helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ritz3645 (Post 4446740)
Hi Condor,
Funny, this is a common problem when you download free ware from shady sites. What has happened is the home page has been changed to 'cobalten' in Chrome settings.

How to rectify :
  • Restore to a previous date or
  • Go to settings in Chrome and change the home page to 'www.google.co.in' * copy paste it.
  • Delete if any Chrome add-on which you download just before cobalten thing happened.

Hope it helps.

I have been having this problem for the last couple of months (know a few other bhpians too). Tried various malware / anti-virus tools, but nothing seems to work.

Checked your solution as well, but my home page has not changed - it was www.google.co.in

Anything else that you can suggest?

Quote:

Originally Posted by samaspire (Post 4446833)
I have been having this problem for the last couple of months (know a few other bhpians too). Tried various malware / anti-virus tools, but nothing seems to work.

Checked your solution as well, but my home page has not changed - it was www.google.co.in

Anything else that you can suggest?

One way is to uninstall chrome and clear the cache folder and registry entries of Chrome. If I remember correctly, the cache is in the user data folder and you have to enable the visibility of hidden items to locate it. After clearing it, you can reinstall chrome.

Alternatively, you can use registry cleaners like CCleaner to clear the registry entry and cache. If you just unistall and reinstall chrome, it will be back again.

I had a tough time with a similar issue (and a ton of other malwares) in a computer in our college lab.lol: