Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2009, 00:25   #31
aZa
Senior - BHPian

I use GPRS too extensively. Although in college and home i use wifi!
Old 5th January 2009, 00:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

Dont know why you guys are comparing speeds for GPRS and WiFi - they are in NO way comparable.

WiFi is obviously faster (depending on the speed of the network the router is connected to and the number of concurrent users on the router), but GPRS/EDGE is everywhere.

WiFi is your Airport Taxi that is easily available at the airport or if you book in advance. GPRS is your friendly neighbourhood Autorickshaw that is everywhere.

The speeds are also comparable, but when the traffic is heavy (network is clogged with users) both move along at pretty much the same kind of speeds.
Old 5th January 2009, 00:47   #33
BHPian

I had an iPhone and loved the wifi connectivity on it. Just press a few keys and all your mails are downloaded. Just check your orkut, facebook etc. too. True one cant relish surfing tbhp on that but still it was very convenient. I had also saved passwords of all friends and relatives so if I use to visit them I could still check my mail / surf.

My experience with GPRS wasnt very good as I found it terribly slow. Even recently I tried surfing on a friend's mobile on GPRS and cursed it no end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
But i may have been paying 299 for unlimited edge/gprs over the years, though there may be cheaper options available now.
cheers!
Cheaper than this??? Vodafone charges something like 899 or 1000 for an unlimited plan, 499 for 500MB and 199 for 0 MB. Are you sure you are paying just Rs. 299 for an unlimited plan?

For all download geeks, time to dump the expensive unlimited download broadband connection and shift to this GPRS provider
Old 5th January 2009, 04:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Dont know why you guys are comparing speeds for GPRS and WiFi - they are in NO way comparable.

WiFi is obviously faster (depending on the speed of the network the router is connected to and the number of concurrent users on the router), but GPRS/EDGE is everywhere.

WiFi is your Airport Taxi that is easily available at the airport or if you book in advance. GPRS is your friendly neighbourhood Autorickshaw that is everywhere.

The speeds are also comparable, but when the traffic is heavy (network is clogged with users) both move along at pretty much the same kind of speeds.
Absolutely, no use comparing. If you compare 3G (UTMS/HSDPA/EvDO) that might be valid. But GPRS/EDGE is just like a last minute backup! Except on a Blackberry its much better because Blackberries use their own servers and dont rely on the crap servers that our operators (Voda/Airtel) have.
Old 5th January 2009, 10:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
Cheaper than this??? Vodafone charges something like 899 or 1000 for an unlimited plan, 499 for 500MB and 199 for 0 MB. Are you sure you are paying just Rs. 299 for an unlimited plan?

For all download geeks, time to dump the expensive unlimited download broadband connection and shift to this GPRS provider
Vikram,

Various such schemes are offered majorly to corporates and large group mobile no., like i have been on GPRS from around 4-5 year and been charged 99 for unlimited usage/download due to being a corporate connection.

However, GPRS is good for browsing just in case you connection signal is good at you end and you didn't need to download pictures and attachments. For me working on gprs is more or less like you have been on old dial-up lines where you need to wait a hour or so to download a 10 MB attachmen.

Cheers
Old 5th January 2009, 12:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

I use GPRS/EDGE quite extensively on my phone, ususally when I'm away from home/office. I don't use WiFi Internet at home (I have a cable connection in both the rooms I'm usually in office/bedroom). When I'm not in these 2 rooms at home, I use GPRS/EDGE.

Yes GPRS/EDGE is slow at times, but it is better than nothing, isn't it? I have an unlimited plan from Airtel (1200/- a year if I remember right).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
... I don't know how to do it with my phone, but since my office and my friends' houses have wireless networks, I want to be able to send and receive files, to and from shared folders, over the network too. This I havent been able to yet figure out. Any help would be welcome. Phone is the ASUS P320 running WM6.
I'm a bit rusty on WiMo, but I'm pretty sure you can do this with Resco Explorer. I used to transfer files between my ancient O2XDAIIi and computer over WiFi with Resco Explorer.
Old 5th January 2009, 12:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I'm a bit rusty on WiMo, but I'm pretty sure you can do this with Resco Explorer. I used to transfer files between my ancient O2XDAIIi and computer over WiFi with Resco Explorer.
Cool, will check this out, thanks.

Although I still don't understand why they can't simply have a "network neighborhood" in WM6 itself.
Old 5th January 2009, 12:58   #38
BHPian

I use Airtel's Mobile office (Edge) on the move and WiFi at home and office.
WiFi is faster, but can't be used on the move.
Speed on Edge depends on the tower and congestion rate. I home it pretty slow, so I prefer WiFi.
At office both of them work equally well.

My office email is connected 24/7 on Edge. So far it is good except the slow attachments.
Old 5th January 2009, 13:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Although I still don't understand why they can't simply have a "network neighborhood" in WM6 itself.
Because you are on Windows Mobile edition !! You'll be open to various vulnerabilities once you are on network neighborhood.
Old 5th January 2009, 13:28   #40
Senior - BHPian

@B&T, Resco Explorer will work. Webpage: Resco Explorer 2008 for Pocket PC

They mention ability to map shared network folders here. And here (Resco Explorer 2008 for Pocket PC) they give more details.

Quote:
The Network Browser let's you discover and take advantage of the wired-up world directly from your device.
Simply map the shared network folders and work with them as easily as with the local ones.
Various settings allow you to set your network drive in the exact way as you desire.
OT: They need a new proofreader. "let's you"
Old 5th January 2009, 13:39   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Dear Frank, I meant WiFi in a mobile phone, not WiFi in general. So, mentioning router prices is irrelevant as we all agree that WiFi is a great thing. At home, for serious browsing, I use my Laptop (through WiFi) which doesn't take eons to boot up.

I am keen to understand advantage of WiFi in a mobile phone.

For e.g, inspite of having WiFi available at home, I still use GPRS on the cell to check email in a jiffy. The total time taken to download email via GPRS is about 4-5 seconds whereas via WiFi it is at least 15 seconds. This is because first I have to activate the WiFi whereas GPRS starts by default when I click on Send/Recieve in Outlook on the phone.

I use wifi at home as well as at my office if I am using my phone for browsing. Way faster than GPRS.
Old 5th January 2009, 13:57   #42
BHPian

i guess its Edge Vs GPRS

Wifi, Bluetooth, or USB cables are medium through which mobile can connect with Computer as modem.

Get an Edge Class 10 mobile, for fastest connectivity.
am using samsung j210i and vodafone for surfing on the move. speed am getting is 100 ~ 120 Kbps for downloads and 80~100kbps for downloads.

BSNL has got lot cheaper schemes Rs250 for unlimited usage
Old 5th January 2009, 23:42   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post

oops, sorry for misquoting, my mistake, just referred the bill, it is 199 actually, not 299 as posted earlier, roaming edge/gprs access adds rs. 0.02 per kB btw..

Post, the Option-II under C. GPRS SERVICES should clear things up.

however couldn't understand why is broadband being compared to gprs here.

as well worth mentioning, mine is not a corporate account

cheers!
Old 6th January 2009, 00:22   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Vikram,

Various such schemes are offered majorly to corporates and large group mobile no., like i have been on GPRS from around 4-5 year and been charged 99 for unlimited usage/download due to being a corporate connection.

However, GPRS is good for browsing just in case you connection signal is good at you end and you didn't need to download pictures and attachments. For me working on gprs is more or less like you have been on old dial-up lines where you need to wait a hour or so to download a 10 MB attachmen.

Cheers
I am also a Vodafone Corporate customer and the voice plan I have is quite good. So does it mean I should check with them if they have a good corporate GPS plan too?

For me working on gprs is more or less like you have been on old dial-up lines where you need to wait a hour or so to download a 10 MB attachmen: Cant agree more dude.

By the way I am Amit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
however couldn't understand why is broadband being compared to gprs here.
That was just in a lighter spirit implying that a normal 256Kbps unlimited download broadband connection costs about Rs. 600 - 700 per month and speed on that is also not too great. So if GPRS is so cheap and unlimited than it can replace broadband.
Old 6th January 2009, 08:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

@Diabloo: going back to your original question. WiFi is out of question if he is using the mobile on the move. Did you mean WiMax?

Obviously, if you are at home or in a place with WiFi connectivity (such as airports & cafes) WiFi will be faster. The catch is in places other than home you gotta pay for WiFi. When i am on the move i use GPRS/EDGE for browsing. When i am at home i use the same for almost everything, except for making Skype calls, where i switch to WiFi.

Oh, and WiFi is a bigger drain on the batteries.

Most Viewed