Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2009, 19:37   #1
BHPian

Prepaid data card?

Are there any internet/mobile providers in India, who will sell a prepaid data card? I will be visiting India in Feb, for a month, and need data card for that time frame.

What will be other options to consider, if I want internet on my laptop for a month in India? I inquired rates for AT&T data card in US, and they are quite high for use in India.
Old 4th January 2009, 19:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Reliance, AirTel, Vodafone, Tata Indicom, dont know about the others - maybe Idea and others have data cards too. If I'm not mistaken, BSNL/MTNL has EVDO data cards and plans too.

Thats a wide range of technologies - CDMA1X, CDMA2X, GSM/GPRS/EDGE, EVDO. No 3G yet, but when its launched there will be plenty of those too.

You have much more choice when it comes to telecommunications services in India than you would have in the US. Dont bother with AT&T or Sprint.

Last edited by Steeroid : 4th January 2009 at 19:42.
Old 4th January 2009, 20:25   #3
BHPian

Thanks Steer.
My only question is, do all these companies in India provide data card for a month? Like prepaid phone card? I would not want to take a year's contract.
I mainly would want to use it in Pune. Idea seems to be having some prepaid data plans.

Any experiences with it? How fast is internet connection? Will I be able to realistically use it to remote-login into my machine in US?

Abhijit

Last edited by abhijitaparadh : 4th January 2009 at 20:30.
Old 4th January 2009, 23:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

You can buy a GSM data card, if you have any ther bring it here, just make sure its quad band.

Install any prepaid sim, activate GPRS in it. Airtel has Rs.10-14 per day service with unlimited download. But the speed will be bit slow here even with EDGE. Well that my experience.

Or if you have N series or similar mobile, use it through bluetooth or data cable. You don't even need to spend extra cash on data card.

Last edited by SirAlec : 4th January 2009 at 23:30.
Old 5th January 2009, 00:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
Thanks Steer.
My only question is, do all these companies in India provide data card for a month?
Like prepaid phone card? I would not want to take a year's contract.
Dunno. My prepaid data card is Reliance, I pay per kb. My postpaid plan with Airtel costs me roughly Rs.100 ($2) per month for unlimited usage, I'm sure there are similar plans for prepaid.

Its nothing to worry about in terms of cost. Even if you went for the yearly postpaid plan its Rs.1000, which is $20. What can you get for that kind of money where you come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
Any experiences with it? How fast is internet connection? Will I be able to realistically use it to remote-login into my machine in US?
Dont know about remote desktop, but I've connected to my corporate VPN comfortably for emails. I cannot use any of my corporate applications, though - takes forever to load up and therefore times out.
Old 5th January 2009, 10:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
You can buy a GSM data card, if you have any ther bring it here, just make sure its quad band.

Install any prepaid sim, activate GPRS in it. Airtel has Rs.10-14 per day service with unlimited download. But the speed will be bit slow here even with EDGE. Well that my experience.

Or if you have N series or similar mobile, use it through bluetooth or data cable. You don't even need to spend extra cash on data card.
Airtel here charges 20 bucks for 24 hours. But wouldn't a data card be much faster ?
Old 5th January 2009, 11:35   #7
BANNED

A sensible option would be to get a good phone with GPRS / Edge facility, connect to the PC / Lappie. And use a GPRS / edge enabled prepaid connection.

Idea has a USB modem type data card. Prices are a bit too steep though. 1.5K per month for unlimited downloads.
Old 5th January 2009, 11:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Airtel here charges 20 bucks for 24 hours. But wouldn't a data card be much faster ?
Also the phone (Nokia 5310) loses charge rapidly when i do this. My SE W550i is not like that though, I wonder why.
Old 5th January 2009, 11:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Idea has a USB modem type data card. Prices are a bit too steep though. 1.5K per month for unlimited downloads.
??? A Reliance data card costs all of Rs.2.4k all inclusive. Not sure about Voda, but their prices are similar and so is Tata Indicom.

What is idea providing that is special enough to warrant a 1.5k per month charge when competition offers Rs.100 per month unlimited GPRS plans and USB/PCMCIA modems (for GSM - CDMA you have to buy from the operator!) are freely available in the market anyway.
Old 5th January 2009, 12:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would advise against using these datacards or USB internet devices unless absolutely needed or for short use.

I use a prepaid TataIndicom USB modem in Kolkata. Speed is pathetic and it crashes often. Connectivity in Kolkata is worst. My regular Airtel phone has an echo all the time. But just gets the work done. Browsing Tbhp is a pain with this speed.
Old 5th January 2009, 13:45   #11
BHPian

I think abijithaparadh is looking to rent a data card for one month use for temporary use. I doubt any ISP has any such scheme.

Old 5th January 2009, 15:43   #12
BHPian

@ abijithaparadh, where do you intend to use it in India. If the answer is Pune (Your locations says that), go for Tata Indicom. That is what I have seen most users prefer here. If there is any other circle than Maharashtra, please mention so.
Old 5th January 2009, 16:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Reliance, AirTel, Vodafone, Tata Indicom, dont know about the others - maybe Idea and others have data cards too. If I'm not mistaken, BSNL/MTNL has EVDO data cards and plans too.

Thats a wide range of technologies - CDMA1X, CDMA2X, GSM/GPRS/EDGE, EVDO. No 3G yet, but when its launched there will be plenty of those too.

You have much more choice when it comes to telecommunications services in India than you would have in the US. Dont bother with AT&T or Sprint.
BSNL has the EVDO card, which is nothing but 3G. I have been using one for the past 6months, with maximum speeds that i have got being 1mbps.
In non EVDO (3G) areas, you still get CDMA 1X.
Old 5th January 2009, 19:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I would advise against using these datacards or USB internet devices unless absolutely needed or for short use.

I use a prepaid TataIndicom USB modem in Kolkata. Speed is pathetic and it crashes often. Connectivity in Kolkata is worst. My regular Airtel phone has an echo all the time. But just gets the work done. Browsing Tbhp is a pain with this speed.
Yup i will second that. Recently used reliance data cards on my friends machine and god its so slow and crashes so often
Old 5th January 2009, 21:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
BSNL has the EVDO card, which is nothing but 3G.
EVDO is not 3G. When a flavour of the standard is used over GSM, it becomes a part of 3G. That does not mean that EVDO = 3G. EVDO is CDMA 2000.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks