Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2009, 13:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

My XPS 1530 has a noisy hard disk. Got in touch with the service support and went thru a circus of running diagnostics and all that. All the tests passed, but still I had the sound.

The support guy said, since sound is still there, the hard disk will be changed and arranged for a person to visit my home.

A day before the visit, went about cleaning all the data and moving them to a hurried brought 1TB hard disk and all that.

Guy come spot on time and runs test and says that since they did not fail, no change of HD!!!

The support guy should have mentioned this earlier; would have saved me a hell lot of time.

Mentioned this in the feedback. A lady called today and said that she will forward to the relevant department and will get back with a resolution.

Lets see what happens.
Old 26th March 2009, 14:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

know dude! you should have just asked for the hdd and not a support guy.

read my post hat i did!!
Old 26th March 2009, 14:22   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
My XPS 1530 has a noisy hard disk. Got in touch with the service support and went thru a circus of running diagnostics and all that. All the tests passed, but still I had the sound.

The support guy said, since sound is still there, the hard disk will be changed and arranged for a person to visit my home.

A day before the visit, went about cleaning all the data and moving them to a hurried brought 1TB hard disk and all that.

Guy come spot on time and runs test and says that since they did not fail, no change of HD!!!

The support guy should have mentioned this earlier; would have saved me a hell lot of time.

Mentioned this in the feedback. A lady called today and said that she will forward to the relevant department and will get back with a resolution.

Lets see what happens.
@HappyWheels, did they ask you to take the HDD off the comp and try powering on the computer? it may be a issue with the optical driver or the Fan of the computer. And this model has a slot load optical driver.

if you put the computer upside down, and if the battery bay is far from you, towards right hand bottom there are 2 screws with cylindrical like symbol next to them, you can take those 2 screws off and pull the HDD out and power on the computer n check whether you are still getting the sound.

Most of the notebook ‘s hdd are customer replaceable unit and from Dell you can get a replacement HDD with factory image on it( for some computers) which will include all the factory installed software on the replacement hdd and you just need to take out the old one and install the new HDD and follow the screen instruction for setting up your computer.

Last edited by vinayvtec : 26th March 2009 at 14:28.
Old 26th March 2009, 15:03   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
...read my post hat i did!!
Should have tried that! But now, will have to wait for their response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
... it may be a issue with the optical driver or the Fan of the computer. And this model has a slot load optical driver...
Had the same question asked by the engineer also. In the XPS the hard disk is the the bottom left corner and optical drive in the right top corner. So, no chance of mixing up the source of sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
...if you put the computer upside down, and if the battery bay is far from you, towards right hand bottom there are 2 screws with cylindrical like symbol next to them, you can take those 2 screws off and pull the HDD out and power on the computer n check whether you are still getting the sound...
Will try this check. Thanks.
Old 26th March 2009, 15:13   #35
BHPian

In the computer you can get sound from Fan, HDD or the optical drive. So make sure from where you are getting the noise, than going for the HDD replacement. Did the service tech tell you what he would be updating the backend team?
Old 26th March 2009, 15:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

No info on the back end team. But post his visit, got the survey form and post that, got the call, since I said the satisfaction level was low.
Old 6th November 2009, 18:45   #37
BHPian

Dell praises

I see all praises for Dell. But I do see a pattern here.
All the experiences of service goodies by Dell I see here are for laptops that are still under warranty. Any one on Dell's service after warranty?

My boss' Dell laptop got few problems and it is out-of-warranty.
I'm surprised to hear that there is no Dell service center in Chennai. It has to be sent to Bangalore for service with postage + insurance to be be paid by my boss. I find this really peculiar to not have service center in all (at the least) major cities...
Old 7th November 2009, 11:53   #38
BHPian

With my experience with Dell, I would like to add that as long as the Dell product is under warranty, their service is excellent. Whatever problem, they will rectify no questions asked.

But when the warranty is over, you are on your own. You have to struggle to get through to customer care, any part you want to order will cost a lot and most of the time, they wont have it in stock (if you want 6 cell battery, they will never have. They will force you to buy 9 cell battery). So anybody who plans to buy Dell, do opt for extended warranty (they have something called complete cover where they will provide service without asking questions).
Old 7th November 2009, 16:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

^^^^^
In Jaipur, i mean rajasthan they have tied up with wipro service centre. Please try to log the call on 1800 number and definitely someone will visit. Ofcourse they will charge.

PS: BTW I wrote this thread, as I am worried about parts availability, WHich HP and Toshiba and some acer are horrible. I am ready to pay but they are least interested.
Dell do supply parts, i usually install on my own.
Old 8th November 2009, 13:08   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Or call neeraj sharma, he owns a small laptop repair centre in nehru place. A reliable guy.
A couple of years ago I wanted a battery for my Toshiba. Found this chap's name and address in the net. Called him and he had the battery ready stock. He was ready to courier it to me. In the meanwhile, I was visiting New Delhi, but didn't have time to go to Nehru Place. Mr Sharma arranged for someone to deliver it at the railway station. That was cool.
Old 8th November 2009, 14:27   #41
Senior - BHPian

^^^ he is a trusted good friend. and a good honest dealer. which is rare to find in Delhi.

atleast 5 people from this forum has been benefited from him

Last edited by SirAlec : 8th November 2009 at 14:29.
Old 9th November 2009, 17:54   #42
BHPian

@SirAlec, My brother is in the US and he intends to buy a laptop , i have recommended the inspiron studio 17 and the spec seems to be decent ,can i suggest it to him , your take on that sir.
Old 9th November 2009, 18:48   #43
BHPian

Lemme share my experience with Dell as well. My trusty old Latitude D-series at work was proving insufficient, and, I decided to upgrade to a new machine: Latitude E-series. Within a week of usage, one of keys popped out. There seemed to be a problem in the key-seat and it would pop out once in 3-days. This degenerated to once a day, and, then several times in a day.

Called, Dell and the response was: Sorry, mechanical wear and tear, hence no replacement. Had to tighten some screws, and got a replacement keyboard FOC. Not the greatest service, but, still OK.

On a side note: I feel the E-series latitudes are not as well built as the earlier ones (D-series). The powder coating on the speaker grill is already peeling off, and the laptop in general appears flimsy.

Cheers,
Su-47
Old 9th November 2009, 23:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari78 View Post
@SirAlec, My brother is in the US and he intends to buy a laptop , i have recommended the inspiron studio 17 and the spec seems to be decent ,can i suggest it to him , your take on that sir.
In US they have some great discount on Dell.
Dell is very popular there, micheal dell i guess was 'The IT man' of US government.
Old 28th December 2009, 20:28   #45
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE!! a must read again!!

Since i have loaded leopard (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...10-5-5-pc.html) on my XPS, i was using this a lot instead of my 17incher.

Sadly on 23rd, its mobo gave up. emailed Dell at night but again just to be sure gave a call to dell bangalore on 24th. A lady picked who in turn transferred the call to another lady. She was technical, i can know if somebody is one. I tried to convince her that you just have to sent the mobo, no need for an engineer. She agreed and asked for a PPID number of Mobo. I told her that i haven't opened it yet, on that note she agreed to call me at 11. i opened it up completely. At last i discovered that i could have just opened the ram lid and on it was the PPID of mobo.

at 11:15 the call never came so i decided to call her instead. this time a guy picked up. I gave him the lady's name. And keeping me up on a hold for a while she asked this guy to take the PPID number for her. He convinced me i will get the part on 26th after christmas holiday. After that i went on my usual way.

AFter an hour a lady called from a mobile, this from delhi. See told me that the parts is not with her and it will take one more day, But the delhi lady told me she is not willing to risk the part through courier and above all on my hand all by itself. She insisted she will send me an engineer. No engineer no parts period. Delhi women, deadly as ever, beleive me i know as i am married to one too
She said the guy is all paid in full and i need not worry about anything. and its not a waste of company time as he is hired for such jobs only. i also insisted that the engineer should be very specific about his time, on this note i ended my call.

after about 30 minutes she called me again, this time with a conf call to her jaipur guy. he asked my address and ideal time to visit me.

In the evening the jaipur guy called and requested me that all engineers will be on holiday and if its okay if he send somebody on monday instead. I agreed to that if and only its on monday and not beyond that.

Today (monday), just i was thinking it was moharam again a guy called from udaipur that he has already left and will reach me by 3:00pm.

he promptly reached my office at about 3:15pm. and change the mobo. A skilled engineer, i can tell when i see one. change my mobo and hinge which i ordered as extra as it was losing color. at 4:45 a job well done, signed some papers. Send one of my boys along with him for a lunch and to see him off back to Udaipur. This guy was Pankaj Dadhich (hope i spelled correctly).

Now compaq and HP people! Beat that. considering the fact that xps1330 is not in production and i personally checked the manifest that it was dispatched promptly from Malaysia on 26th.

Dell laptop service-dell1.jpg

Dell laptop service-dell2.jpg

Name:  dell3.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  106.2 KB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks