Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2010, 16:18   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
My dell studio 14 laptops battery is not charging. i assume it means the battery is dead. Is that right?
How can i obtain a new battery?
Urgent ..
Batteries are covered only up to 1 year from date of purchase. If older than that you are on your own. This was the case despite a 3 year complete cover for my latitude. My OE 9 cell battery died in the 14th month of purchase. I bought the replacement from Dell and that came with a 6 month warranty. Could have bought the second battery from open market but then they come with their own set of issues.

Do have your charger checked. I had a similar problem as my battery stopped charging and I got an error message saying the power adapter is not recognized. The notebook would work on AC power but would not charge the battery. Got both the main and the travel charger replaced yesterday. So far so good.
Old 30th September 2010, 23:16   #92
Senior - BHPian

Thanks.
Thankfully i detached the battery and put it back after an hour and is now working again
Strange thing is on dell india website i cant see the options to buy a new batter.

Btw how much is a new 6 cell battery for dell?
Old 30th September 2010, 23:33   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Batteries are covered only up to 1 year from date of purchase. If older than that you are on your own. This was the case despite a 3 year complete cover for my latitude. My OE 9 cell battery died in the 14th month of purchase. I bought the replacement from Dell and that came with a 6 month warranty. Could have bought the second battery from open market but then they come with their own set of issues.

Do have your charger checked. I had a similar problem as my battery stopped charging and I got an error message saying the power adapter is not recognized. The notebook would work on AC power but would not charge the battery. Got both the main and the travel charger replaced yesterday. So far so good.
@khoj - Dell battery warranty is only for 1yr irrespective of the system warranty. Though for Latitudes now you can opt for an additional 2yr or 3yr EBS (Extended Battery Service) where you can claim one Battery per year in the event of a failure. But you got to pay more though

Quote:
Thanks.
Thankfully i detached the battery and put it back after an hour and is now working again
Strange thing is on dell india website i cant see the options to buy a new batter.

You can call our Toll Free No on 1800-425-8045 (9am-6pm) and ask for a quotation to be sent. I guess it will make you poorer by 4.5-5k or so

Last edited by lloydofcochin : 30th September 2010 at 23:36.
Old 30th September 2010, 23:34   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Strange thing is on dell india website i cant see the options to buy a new batter.

Dell India does not list battery sales on their website but would direct you to get in touch with their customer care.

The batteries sold by Dell and any of their stockists are a big rip off and I would suggest that you buy them off EBay Global or ask someone to get it from US if they are flying down.

Brought one for myself and then for a colleague from EBay Global; listed price / dealer price in India slightly above 7k. Got it from Ebay at 2.8k, including shipping, and also the battery is of a higher amp rating (these are for the 1530 series).

Last edited by HappyWheels : 30th September 2010 at 23:36.
Old 30th September 2010, 23:52   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

Should cost you roughly 5~6k.

EDIT: Just noticed that you had got replies already!

Last edited by DRIV3R : 30th September 2010 at 23:55.
Old 30th September 2010, 23:59   #96
Senior - BHPian

don't buy battery from dell. Battery is the only part that is not very good. and its considered as consumables.

I bought an after market one its just like original, it even has led indicator. It lasts about 3 hours. I paid 2400 at NP. I forgot the shop. BTW its just in line with BPB publications at NP
Old 1st October 2010, 16:43   #97
Senior - BHPian

UPdate.

Due to some power surge. The charger went kaput.

Logged the call on wednesday. Got the charger today through their Jaipur office. Beat that.

Though, i got the charger free of cost, what i am wondering is that the price mentioned on challan was Just Rs. 545. Is it true.

BTW other company sells the charger at about 2800/-. How much does the dell sell their chargers if its out of warranty.
Old 1st October 2010, 20:49   #98
Senior - BHPian

Now I want to extend the warranty of my dell latitude D520 for another 2 years which is worth gambling on it incase if it gets into problem. I submitted the form many times and received message telling that with in 48 hours they will contact. I did not called or mailed in this regard. Now my warranty is left for 52 days. I wonder whether they will send quote or not. Members any one can help. The service Tag is C4JFS1S.
Old 1st October 2010, 22:42   #99
Senior - BHPian

Dial
1800 425 2066
080 25108066

call them. Its expensive though. mine will expire sometime next year and its going to cost me about 8k.
Old 1st October 2010, 22:49   #100
Senior - BHPian

How is the failure rate on the Inspiron minis?. Planning to order one and want to make sure.
Old 2nd October 2010, 13:22   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I paid approx. 4500/- for the 9 cell battery. The 6 should be cheaper or thereabouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
@khoj - Dell battery warranty is only for 1yr irrespective of the system warranty. Though for Latitudes now you can opt for an additional 2yr or 3yr EBS (Extended Battery Service) where you can claim one Battery per year in the event of a failure. But you got to pay more though
Yes the battery with the system is covered for an year. The replacement battery from Dell is covered for 6 months only. They wanted another 4500 odd for a full years coverage and obviously I said no as for the same price you can buy another battery. Anyhow the replacement battery is running for nearly 18 months now, which reminds me that I need to extend my laptop's warranty which will run out in the next few quarters.
Old 4th October 2010, 21:06   #102
Senior - BHPian

What is covered under accident coverage from Dell? Was told Theft isnt.
Old 4th October 2010, 21:16   #103
BHPian

Quote:
I paid approx. 4500/- for the 9 cell battery. The 6 should be cheaper or thereabouts.

Yes the battery with the system is covered for an year. The replacement battery from Dell is covered for 6 months only. They wanted another 4500 odd for a full years coverage and obviously I said no as for the same price you can buy another battery. Anyhow the replacement battery is running for nearly 18 months now, which reminds me that I need to extend my laptop's warranty which will run out in the next few quarters.
Khoj, The policy has changed. Now the replacement Batteries carry a 1yr warranty.
Old 4th October 2010, 22:43   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I paid approx. 4500/- for the 9 cell battery. The 6 should be cheaper or thereabouts...
As mentioned earlier, I paid only ~Rs.2800 for a 9 cell of Ebay Global. Been using it for some time now and have perfectly no issues.

So, I see Rs.4500 as highly overcharged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Khoj, The policy has changed. Now the replacement Batteries carry a 1yr warranty.
What about the price? Is it still at that ~7k+ now?
Old 4th October 2010, 23:55   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Dial
1800 425 2066
080 25108066

call them. Its expensive though. mine will expire sometime next year and its going to cost me about 8k.
Hi Alex,
It is nice of your suggestion. But it too did not work. I called on Sunday and complained to toll free and was assured some one would call me on Monday 9 Am.It is Tuesday 00 hours it did not work. It seems we need some one there in dell to follow up.Anyhow let me test my luck tillThursday.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks