Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2009, 22:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Dell laptop service

I want to share this with fellow members.
I have heard many members claiming that Dell makes $hitty products, especially the Laptops.
Well maybe they are right. But I must say that their service is greatest that I have encountered yet.

I recently bought a Dell from a fellow member from Bangalore for one of my office boy for field work. After about 1 week the 320gig went bust. It was luck that we had not put any datas yet on it. I emailed the fellow member (Gopi) down south about the bill etc as he told that it was still under warranty. He gave me a XPS toll free.

I called them on Friday (2nd). Lady (Ms. Ishinder) on the other side asked for the service tag number, nothing else was required, not even on whose name it was purchased or where it was purchased. She asked the usual- type of problems etc, and offered her problem solving technic on phone, I explained that I already have a competent technical team and we have already plonked an extra 160gig and laptop is running. I just asked her to send me a new 320gig. She told that it will be delivered on Monday, not only that it can be delivered to any address in India.

About the old one, she told that Dell will call me and will give me an address where to courier the busted HDD.

To my surprise it was delivered to my delhi home on Saturday, just after 18 hours. The courier wala did insisted on the damaged HDD, but since i was travelling, he called someone on the phone, and left saying "aap khud bhej dena'.

I must say this kind of service is unheard of.
Old 4th January 2009, 22:59   #2
BANNED

Dell has this quality of service since long. Based on my personal experience, Dell makes the best desktops. They are quite good in laptops too. They have excellent offers on their desktops & laptops. Checkout Learn about Dell's notebooks, laptops, desktops, monitors, printers plus computer electronics & accessories.
Old 4th January 2009, 23:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well now about the HP service. (this was mid last years experience, I thought of sharing this too)
I have numerous laptop. Among this is two HP compaq 3000AU powered with AMD on a Nvidia mobo.

Just when the usual 1year warranty expired, The mobo went bust. We tried to repair but the southbridge was burned due to excessive heating. Be warned in case of AMD's fan rpm is very critical. If there is dust etc even on cooper heatsink, use a blower to blow it,(Do not use blower on keyboard though).

We decided to send it to HP. We called a HP toll free, after 30 minutes of transfereing here and there, we finally reached a lady, whose work was just like a travell guide, she was kept there to point to their other places where HP repair is done.
She gave us a nearest ahmedabad address, since at that time we were working there. It was called Exchort or something.

We left both the lappy there. We befriended with a technician, he did acknowledge that "isme model me to problem ata hi hai'
We took our chalan and left. After a week one of my boy called them, they said that Mobo needed to be replaced (like it was not known to us). They will have to source it and it will take another week. Again after a week, i myself called them. To my surprise they told me that mobo is 12k. but the problem is that they simply don't have it and cannot source it.
Here is the catch
The lappy was bought for 51k (25500 each) and after one year+ of usage its cost can be valued at 16k. Now if mobo costed 12k imagine the cost of HDD, ram cpu, display. And above all HP people were NOT ABLE to source it.

I still have both the lappy at office. the hdd were ripped and used in casing as external 2.5incher. I complained to HP about this but yet I havn't recieved anything from them. I can buy if they sell them. But they are incapable of sourcing them.

I finally sourced the mobo at
Main Board (Motherboard) parts

Surprise! they also do not have it in stock.

After that i myself have always stayed away from HP. Be very warned HP is using the same SHIBA China made mobo in high end pavillions also. But the AMD/nvidia based some batch of mobo is the problematic ones.

Last edited by SirAlec : 4th January 2009 at 23:13.
Old 4th January 2009, 23:15   #4
BHPian

Have been using Dell since last 3 years now. No problems so far, touchwood!
Old 5th January 2009, 00:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

I've got some issues with my Dell cropped up an hour ago.
Can you help me with the XPS helpline number please.
Old 5th January 2009, 01:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
After that i myself have always stayed away from HP. Be very warned HP is using the same SHIBA China made mobo in high end pavillions also. But the AMD/nvidia based some batch of mobo is the problematic ones.
Well i currently own a F733AU Compaq and i must say even Acer is better in terms of build quality. My DVD writer knocked off some days ago i went to HP service center and they took out my writer and replaced it within 2 - 3 days.

But then another problem started with grinding fan noise. Went to the same service center and told them to fix it. As per technician i will have to leave my laptop with them for 3 - 4 days. I agreed to it but then he asked me to backup my data as they will format HDD and run some cds and crappy tools to find the problem. I asked him if i can keep my HDD the reply was a NO as they will need HDD. I wonder what does HDD have to do with fan grinding noise.

I came back from the service center and gonna open up the laptop within a week and fix the problem as i know its just the fan. Either it needs oiling or bearing are kaput.

My next laptop will never be a Compaq for sure and i cant say whether it will be HP. But I am sure it will be a Dell!

SirAlec i think some AMD/Nvidia chipset boards come with mainboard from Quanta
Old 5th January 2009, 01:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

My Dell laptop was bought in the United States with a 3 year warranty. The video card fan started acting up. I emailed Dell with my machine and service agreement numbers. They sent a new fan from the U.S. special delivery. There was no quibbling, no discussion, everything was handled by email. They called me to let me know when exactly their techy would arrive and he did. The skilled technician rode a bus for 9 hours from Chandigarh to my house. He cleaned my laptop, intalled the fan and tested the whole machine. Below is the tech with my laptop in pieces. It now works great. I might add, the machine never did quit totally and it was subjected to a lot of dust so I have no complaints on the initial quality whatsoever.

India, this is called "Service".
Attached Thumbnails
Dell laptop service-dell-technician.jpg  

Last edited by DirtyDan : 5th January 2009 at 02:01.
Old 5th January 2009, 04:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

I've been a DELL customer for 6 years now & have never been disappointed till date. Service & replacements have been prompt & the quality too has been fantastic.
Old 5th January 2009, 04:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have to totally agree with you on this, it all depends on the desi practice of the company. Many of the companies are handled locally with big tie ups and all. Have horrid tales and will never reccomend a Acer/HP/Compaq to anyone no one. If you buy it you're just plain stupid. I bought a 1 lakh RS VAIO once and the build quality was absolutely pathetic. I have a ThinkPad Z60m (Titanium) with me and recently compared it the the lenovo's they are nothing in front of the build of this machine. I can post a picture of me standing on the laptop (I'm 5'8" 76 kgs) and nothing will happen to it. I switched over to Apple about a year back and have never been happier, I did encounter problem in my Laptop once, it was just replaced withing a day no questions asked. That moment I bought AppleCare 3 year plan for my iMac as well as the MacBook, I even have my TimeMachine covered under the applecare of the iMac they are very professional and amazingly fast. The companies are operated by their US principles hence this service. The desi people just try and sqeeze all the money out of the customer.
Old 5th January 2009, 07:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

A good share, SirAlec!

Am having my Dell XPS for the last few months and had to call service last month for a noisy HDD. A couple of emails with the service personnel, all with regard to running diagnostics and providing the result, and then they agreed to replace the HDD.

And, if you share the toll-free number, it will come in handy for others.
Old 5th January 2009, 08:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and will never reccomend a Acer/HP/Compaq to anyone no one. If you buy it you're just plain stupid.
Please mind your tone, such tone is not appreciated at Team-Bhp
Old 5th January 2009, 10:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

I have been customer of Dell from the last 6 years, the service provided is indeed best in the industry !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I've got some issues with my Dell cropped up an hour ago.
Can you help me with the XPS helpline number please.
You can go through Dell Website support stuff or to cut short you might visit service center resource where in they have managed service support info for the various manufacturers. @ Service Center Info - Product Service Centers details available 24 x 7.

PS: If i am voiding tbhp policies anyhow, kindly remove the link.
Old 5th January 2009, 10:21   #13
F50
Senior - BHPian

Wow, list of happy Dell owners is growing.

We ordered 2 Dell 1525s customized Laptops in October 08. Both with identical customization and color. But after a week or so, one of the two started to act funny. Switch it ON wont last for a minute or two and OFF! We informed Dell about the problem, the technician was there in 24 hrs. He changed a part, still the same problem, another part, still the same, third and still the same. We emailed Dell asking for a replacement. They agreed, although the replacement thingy took a month but once the laptop was taken by Dell they delivered the new one in 10 days flat. The new one carries m'board of new version or something, new carry case which is fab compared to old one.

Dell has hit the right note in India.
Old 5th January 2009, 13:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Abhinav - XPS support # 011-60009045
Old 5th January 2009, 13:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ishan Ji.
My Battery aint charging and also when i type, automatically the cursor goes off location.

Most Viewed