Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2012, 15:35   #136
BHPian

re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
On my phone I keep phone data off as I have WiFi both at home and at work. Use phone data only when I am outside.
oh ok..my data is on all the time. Thing it, its only in the past couple of charges that the battery life has really gone down for me. I think ive uninstalled the culprits..lets see what happens.
Old 7th March 2012, 19:50   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm sure you can get it unlocked or check if there is an updated ROM for it.
It requires replacing the ROM in the phone. I am in no hurry to have 3G anyway. Enjoying my phone as it is right now.
Old 7th March 2012, 20:58   #138
TOR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
It requires replacing the ROM in the phone. I am in no hurry to have 3G anyway. Enjoying my phone as it is right now.
I have an AT&T Samsung Focus, unlocked and bought from ebay India, my phone runs BSNL 3G quite well, moreover the settings are available in the 'Diagnostics menus'.
Old 8th March 2012, 16:00   #139
BHPian

so i did a hard reset...and i am still having the same problem; the battery is just draining away way too fast. Could the battery be defective...?
Old 8th March 2012, 16:16   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
so i did a hard reset...and i am still having the same problem; the battery is just draining away way too fast. Could the battery be defective...?
How about calibrating it. Let it die, then charge it for 8 hours with phone OFF, then switch ON, charge for 1 hour, then switch OFF, charge for 1 hour more.
Repeat if still not much gains. If after 2-3 tries still not much gain, then my friend, obituaries for your dear departed battery!
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 16:19   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
How about calibrating it. Let it die, then charge it for 8 hours with phone OFF, then switch ON, charge for 1 hour, then switch OFF, charge for 1 hour more.
Repeat if still not much gains. If after 2-3 tries still not much gain, then my friend, obituaries for your dear departed battery!
i'll try that. Im really surprised that even after a hard reset, the problem is still continuing. I just bought this phone recently, any chance i can claim the battery problem through the warrenty?
Old 8th March 2012, 16:24   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
i'll try that. Im really surprised that even after a hard reset, the problem is still continuing. I just bought this phone recently, any chance i can claim the battery problem through the warrenty?
Well what I have written above will work if your battery has somehow got wrongly calibrated and hence not charging to the full. this kind of charging method is called Bump charging and there are people who claim you can get upto 2x gains in battery life with such charging. However it is cumbersome and is known to shorten overall battery life if done everytime. But it is recommended that one should do it every once in a while (maybe monthly or bi-monthly) to calibrate the battery, especially every time one updates SW or installs new ROM etc.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 16:51   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Well what I have written above will work if your battery has somehow got wrongly calibrated and hence not charging to the full. this kind of charging method is called Bump charging and there are people who claim you can get upto 2x gains in battery life with such charging. However it is cumbersome and is known to shorten overall battery life if done everytime. But it is recommended that one should do it every once in a while (maybe monthly or bi-monthly) to calibrate the battery, especially every time one updates SW or installs new ROM etc.
i did install a new software update (8107) the other day, but this was way before the battery problem started.
Old 9th March 2012, 11:49   #144
BHPian

Quote:
My Lumia 800 battery used to last some 16 hours. So I used to charge every night for 7 hours. Once I forgot to charge at night and next day I had busy travelling schedule. Lumia was dead, so I removed the micro-SIM and somehow inserted in my old E5. I left Lumia to charge while switched off till I came back next day. Now I realised my Lumia can go on for some 30 hours.
Old 11th March 2012, 22:15   #145
BHPian

after a couple of charge cycles, and another hard reset, i am happy to report that my battery is doing pretty good again. Ive decided to try keeping the phone on wifi while im at home and switch on the cellular data whenever im outside.
Old 13th March 2012, 12:05   #146
BHPian

Folks I have Samsung Omnia W and need some clarification on the following points:

1. Could someone tell me how to use the arrow keys on the phone (I dont see arrow keys)

2. Can we install Ovi maps on Samsung ? (Assuming Lumia and Omnia are on the same platform
)
Old 13th March 2012, 14:21   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Folks I have Samsung Omnia W and need some clarification on the following points:

1. Could someone tell me how to use the arrow keys on the phone (I dont see arrow keys)

2. Can we install Ovi maps on Samsung ? (Assuming Lumia and Omnia are on the same platform
)

There are no arrow keys on the WP7 keyboard. To move the cursor you have keep your finger pressed and then you will see a cursor icon pop up. While continuing to keep the finger pressed on the screen you can drop the cursor wherever you want.

I'm not sure if Ovi maps can be installed on the Omnia W. Platform may be the same, but the Ovi installer has a check on which hardware it is being installed. If you have a fully unlocked phone then may be you can try it.

The Ovi maps on WP7 is called Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive. The Nokia Maps is just a map application while the Drive has full navigation. Both these apps come pre-installed on all Nokia WP7 handsets.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 16:56   #148
BHPian

Quote:
There are no arrow keys on the WP7 keyboard. To move the cursor you have keep your finger pressed and then you will see a cursor icon pop up. While continuing to keep the finger pressed on the screen you can drop the cursor wherever you want.

I'm not sure if Ovi maps can be installed on the Omnia W. Platform may be the same, but the Ovi installer has a check on which hardware it is being installed. If you have a fully unlocked phone then may be you can try it.

The Ovi maps on WP7 is called Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive. The Nokia Maps is just a map application while the Drive has full navigation. Both these apps come pre-installed on all Nokia WP7 handsets.

Thank you Viram. I shall try installing the Nokia Maps on Omnia and see it works. Bing maps sucks big time and the gmaps doesn't support navigation. Do let me know if you have any alternative solution for this.

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 13th March 2012, 18:55   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Viram. I shall try installing the Nokia Maps on Omnia and see it works. Bing maps sucks big time and the gmaps doesn't support navigation. Do let me know if you have any alternative solution for this.

Cheers,
Rajesh
Nokia Maps and Drive are both working on my phone, but I have to remind you that I have a HD2 running WP7 and I have no idea how the peeps at XDA got this stuff working.
Old 14th March 2012, 10:51   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Viram. I shall try installing the Nokia Maps on Omnia and see it works. Bing maps sucks big time and the gmaps doesn't support navigation.
Just to set your expectation right. Nokia maps available on WP7 are not as good as Ovi maps. Many of the features of Ovi maps are not provided in Nokia maps. For example, you can not save locations.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks