Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2014, 12:17   #1816
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I had this app sometime back; but un-installed due to some issues. Installed again; now the better part is, this app can NOT be used between 8:00 - 12:00 hours!!

What's the point!! Which basically shows that one can NOT book a (tatkal) train ticket using windows mobile. Is there anywhere we can bring this to someone's notice?
Not Just tatkal, if you are planning to book for a busy weekend - like 2 months in advance at 8:00 AM, it still doesn't help! I downloaded this App with much delight, but once I came across this limitation, the app was practically useless.

Uninstalled it immediately !
Old 7th August 2014, 12:53   #1817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Anyone here used AirWatch MDM Agent? Its a mobile device management app that is now mandated by my company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Some reviews indicate issues with 8.1. So you could go back to 8.0 or wait for the new version before your deadline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Airwatch did not support windows 8.1 so far, though it was in pipeline. Not sure whether they've rolled out the support for windows 8.1, which could be reason for your issues with Airwatch MDM. You may have to hang on a little while. Nevertheless, Airwatch is quite a good software for managing mobile devices.
Problem solved - I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it, after which I was able to seamlessly set it up (kudos to my company's tech team for also providing clear step-by-step instructions). I noticed that in the reinstalled version, some of the screens/behaviour was subtly different, so presumably there's been a small update.

Therefore, I can confirm that AirWatch works as expected with WP 8.1 Update (i.e. the update that came out 2 days ago).
Old 12th August 2014, 21:25   #1818
BANNED

Installed the Cyan update on my sister's 625 (i'm still using the dev preview 8.1 on my 720) and it has made it slower. lagging occurs and apps take longer time to open. and so has the battery drain increased. overall she is not happy.
Old 12th August 2014, 23:54   #1819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Installed the Cyan update on my sister's 625 (i'm still using the dev preview 8.1 on my 720) and it has made it slower. lagging occurs and apps take longer time to open. and so has the battery drain increased. overall she is not happy.
Try a Hard Reset after finishing a backup. Almost always helps.
Old 13th August 2014, 15:24   #1820
BHPian

Any idea when will be the official 8.1 update out for Lumia 525?
Old 13th August 2014, 16:59   #1821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Any idea when will be the official 8.1 update out for Lumia 525?
Well it will be the last Lumia to get it probably and should be here early September, but if you are on Dev preview, then you will have to downgrade to WP 8 to install the latest firmware/OS.
Cheers,
Old 14th August 2014, 14:37   #1822
BHPian

I suppose the Cyan update for Lumia 520 has been officially made available this morning. I am a little reluctant to update so early considering poor battery performance on Win 8.

Anyone already updated the windows version on Lumia 520. Please throw some light on the battery performance
Old 14th August 2014, 14:58   #1823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebfg View Post
Well it will be the last Lumia to get it probably and should be here early September, but if you are on Dev preview, then you will have to downgrade to WP 8 to install the latest firmware/OS.
Cheers,
No need. Cyan update happens automatically, even if you are in DP. In fact the good thing is, if you are on DP, the download size for Cyan is only about 150 MB.
Old 14th August 2014, 15:11   #1824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
I suppose the Cyan update for Lumia 520 has been officially made available this morning. I am a little reluctant to update so early considering poor battery performance on Win 8.

Anyone already updated the windows version on Lumia 520. Please throw some light on the battery performance
Hey Paresh,

My Lumia 520 is running on 8.1 developer version.
I just checked if the cyan update is available. But the phone says its up to date. So i guess it hasn't been made available yet.

Cheers
amansanc
Old 14th August 2014, 16:41   #1825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
No need. Cyan update happens automatically, even if you are in DP. In fact the good thing is, if you are on DP, the download size for Cyan is only about 150 MB.
Well WP Central says that you still have to downgrade, because there is a problem with BitLocker. And my son's 520 couldn't get the Cyan update because he is on DP with 8.1 Update
Old 14th August 2014, 16:46   #1826
KRN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post

I updated to Cyan today morning and don't see any major issues with battery life. But my usage is very different and low as the 520 is a secondary phone that I use only for my emails (Moto g is my primary phone)
Old 14th August 2014, 16:53   #1827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebfg View Post
Well WP Central says that you still have to downgrade, because there is a problem with BitLocker. And my son's 520 couldn't get the Cyan update because he is on DP with 8.1 Update
Am saying from my experience. My Lumia 925 was on 8.1 DP, and the very first day Cyan was rolled out the phone showed the update. The download was just about 150 MB. My phone was updated in minutes. No issues so far.

EDIT: I checked WP central. The issue is only for phones given by companies and have Bitlocker installed for encryption. Not for normal Lumia owners.

Last edited by blacksport : 14th August 2014 at 16:59.
Old 14th August 2014, 16:57   #1828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Am saying from my experience. My Lumia 925 was on 8.1 DP, and the very first day Cyan was rolled out the phone showed the update. The download was just about 150 MB. My phone was updated in minutes.
Well I guess it must be for phones with company account setup. My 1520 is, so that's why I think I had to downgrade
Old 15th August 2014, 09:02   #1829
Distinguished - BHPian

A few updates:

Installed Cortana yesterday. Though it may not be as intuitive as Siri, it is still good in doing all the basic things. Expect it to come with better capabilities later. But voice recognition is very accurate even though I have a normal Indian accent. We just need to speak clear. Recognition is almost instant.

Battery life has somehow stabilized to last a day with decent usage. So it typically lasts from 8:30 to around 19:30 with some battery still remaining. This without using battery saver.

On 2G the battery lasts very long compared to 3G. Also, it swallows a lot of data on 3G.
Old 16th August 2014, 22:26   #1830
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Got a Lumia 525. My previous smartphone was an Android.

Still trying to get a hang of stuff - been just a couple of hours. But the default keyboard kills the Android keyboard.

Couple of quick questions
1) Is there a way to turn off touch tactile feedback (i.e. the screen vibrates when you touch the screen)
2) Is there a way to turn of all notifications for one particular app. For eg. in Android, I could go to settings->Apps->Chose the app & then turn off notifications for the app. This is not from the apps built in menu - but from Androids menu. I used this for Whatsapp - to turn off the toast for everyone and all groups. Is there a way to do this here. Here I saw Whatsapp has a builtin mute for groups (but not for individuals) but even there is lasts for just a week max.

Most Viewed