Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2014, 03:20   #1861
BANNED

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Immediately after this, I could get the 8.1 update. So now my 525 is only 8.1. What's interesting in 8.1?
Old 28th August 2014, 08:28   #1862
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I got a 8.0 update today. I clicked next before reading a description of the update. The update hasn't caused any issues, but I have no clue what it provided - how do I find out what bugs have been fixed by this update and what features have been added.

Post the update, my phone (525) shows
OS Version: 8.0.10532.166
Firmware Revision: 3055.40000.1347.1001
Radio software version: 2.0.242028.8

Any idea what I got in the latest update?.
This is most likely the update prior to 8.1. Within a few minutes of getting this update I got the 8.1 update. So check again for updates and you will mostly get the 8.1 update.

EDIT: somehow missed the next post. What's new in 8.1? Well most of the anomalies this OS had were sorted out. Once you start exploring you will come to know the changes.

Last edited by audioholic : 28th August 2014 at 08:30.
Old 28th August 2014, 08:59   #1863
BHPian

I got an update on my L820 this Sunday. This was an update for Preview for Developers app IIRC. I started noticing something peculiar, although this might not have anything to do with the latest update since its been a long time I used the phone camera. Whenever I press the dedicated camera button, the screen turns blank for a moment and the phone reverts back to the home display. This happens both when the phone is under 'Lock' mode or otherwise. I can still use the camera through the camera app though.

Another thing that I have oft noticed is the periodic activation of phone GPS inspite of it being kept off. This can be confirmed from the icon that flashes on the top when location is activated. It appears that the phone on its own operates GPS system and regularly update its current location, although this is not visible on the map. At some level I find it quite disconcerting. The last time it happened, I got the screenshots both with the location turned off and turned on.

This started happening only after the 8.1 update. Has anyone else too noticed this?
Attached Images

Old 8th September 2014, 11:11   #1864
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Did somebody talk about battery drain? I forgot to charge my Lumia 720 for a while. This is what I saw today. See the bottom part of the image.

Remember this? It has become a fast fading distant memory to me after I upgraded to 8.1 version. Now I am lucky to get even 24 hours. It started getting drained in 18hours if whatsapp was on. So I got rid of whatsapp. Now I get just 24 hours.

How can I revert back to the sensible 8.0 version? The biggest feature provided by 8.1 is battery drain, and I am not interested in it.
Old 8th September 2014, 11:33   #1865
BHPian

Quote:
The biggest feature provided by 8.1 is battery drain, and I am not interested in it.
I happen to visit the service center just after the Win 8.1 update on the Lumia 520 to extend my phone warranty by another year. Guess what? They refused to give me the extended warranty as I updated to 8.1.

Quite stupid I suppose.

So I asked, whats the solution? The reply was- Sir, we can only give the warranty if you revert to Win 8.0.
So I asked again- can you revert the OS and give me extended warranty?
Reply was- yes Sir. I said great. Job done.
So guess you can try with the customer service
Old 8th September 2014, 11:36   #1866
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
So I asked again- can you revert the OS and give me extended warranty?
Reply was- yes Sir. I said great. Job done.
So guess you can try with the customer service
Wow, great. I am getting it done then.
Old 8th September 2014, 11:43   #1867
BANNED

Quote:
How can I revert back to the sensible 8.0 version? The biggest feature provided by 8.1 is battery drain, and I am not interested in it.
What will factory reset do? Will it reset it default 8.0 or default 8.1?

That said, I have also upgraded to 8.1 - I don't see much difference in my battery performance till now (though it's early days). I am a light user of a smart phone though. I rarely browse or hear music or play video on my phone. I think the only apps I use regularly are Exchange Mail & WhatsApp. I have notifications turned off for WhatsApp and my battery performance seems to be proportional to how often I open WhatsApp.
Old 8th September 2014, 15:35   #1868
Senior - BHPian

I am in the process of migrating from my good old Samsung Omnia W (WP7) to Xolo Win Q900s (WP8.1).

The problem I am facing is I am unable to play video (.mp4) files in WP81, which played flawlessly in WP7. I am trying with built-in xbox Video app. The video played is jagged, out of sync with audio. 'Windows Phone App for Desktop' failed to copy this file from desktop to phone with this error 83000006. So I copied from explorer without conversion. If I convert, the quality is pathetic.

Since xbox video app is of no use, I tried with Moliplayer. Here the video plays fine with SW decoder, but result is same as xbox video app with HW decoder.
Moliplayer is restricted in accessing files of the phone. Is there a way to set xbox video app to use SW decoding?

One more, Zune software worked fine in managing music, video, podcast files in WP7. Is there a similar tool for WP81?

Last edited by msdivy : 8th September 2014 at 15:37.
Old 13th September 2014, 11:15   #1869
BHPian

I got an update today on my Lumia 925. Do not know the details of the update. It was already running on 8.1 before this update.
Old 13th September 2014, 11:22   #1870
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I got an update today on my Lumia 925. Do not know the details of the update. It was already running on 8.1 before this update.
I also got one on my 525. I think it's a Lumia specific update not a windows update. The update is called Cyan, I think. It does some improvements to camera related stuff.
Old 13th September 2014, 18:52   #1871
Senior - BHPian

Got the Cyan on my 920 and liking it so far.
- Somehow feeling better and smoother performance.
- Pretty useful Action Center finally, however, it has only 4 direct controls (besides the notifications etc).
- More compressed tiling on screen with more tiles and transparency giving that personal touch with the personal picture. Some non-transparent tiles cause big problems in continuous vision though.
- Separation of Radio, Music and Videos - find it better than earlier.
- The Power+VolUp for screenshot is tricky as sometimes it pulls out vol control.

Still exploring other things.
Old 21st September 2014, 22:54   #1872
Distinguished - BHPian

I randomly got an update on my 925 today. However, there was no mention on what it was about. Do you guys have any idea what this one was meant for? My location is set to the United States and language is English(US)
Old 22nd September 2014, 01:05   #1873
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
- The Power+VolUp for screenshot is tricky as sometimes it pulls out vol control.
Yes. Before the update, screenshots were easier in Windows than in Android. They probably did this to catch up with Android.
Old 22nd September 2014, 14:46   #1874
Senior - BHPian

Ever since i got the 8.1 +Cyan official updates, my phone has been going crazy.
It hangs atleast 2-3 times a day, or just shuts down on its own. Then i need to hard boot it and its getting really irritating.
Whatsapp performance has also gone back to intermittent and i need to keep restarting the phone to get updates.
Anyone else facing similar issues? I am on 720 and really really getting tired of these issues.
Old 22nd September 2014, 15:16   #1875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Ever since i got the 8.1 +Cyan official updates, my phone has been going crazy.
It hangs atleast 2-3 times a day, or just shuts down on its own. Then i need to hard boot it and its getting really irritating.
Whatsapp performance has also gone back to intermittent and i need to keep restarting the phone to get updates.
Anyone else facing similar issues? I am on 720 and really really getting tired of these issues.
Faced similar issue in WP8 Black update on my 920. It worked fine with clean install of OS - complete flashing and re-install of the OS at the Service Center. Don't confuse with Factory Restore/Reset Phone feature. This is done through their update software.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks