Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2014, 10:08   #1936
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
In addition to what has already been answered,

2. This is possible in 7.8 too. Not sure why you aren't able to do so. Nevertheless yes its possible on 8.1 also.
I am specifically asking about two MOBILE numbers for a contact. In 7.8, only way to do that is to create two contacts with same name and different mobile number and then link both contacts.
Old 18th October 2014, 10:35   #1937
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
I am specifically asking about two MOBILE numbers for a contact. In 7.8, only way to do that is to create two contacts with same name and different mobile number and then link both contacts.
Yes that's correct. For a single contact you can store multiple numbers like Home, Work, Mobile, Fax and so on. For a second mobile it appears as mobile 2 and so.
Old 18th October 2014, 10:41   #1938
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
My dad cracked the screen of his Galaxy S2 and wanted a new phone urgently. After scouting for non samsung phones(read Sony, etc) he ended up buying the Lumia 730. This phone is a killer package for the price paid. What he liked was the design, which was clean and bold. Moreover the UI was a welcome change compared to the cheesy looking samsung interface. And compared to the Lumia 720 my mum has, this is a superb upgrade.

Now I can call it as a Lumia family with four lumias in the house, except for my kid brother who has an Xperia. Currently we have a 710, 720, 730, 925 at home That itself speaks about the 'experience' we have had with using the Lumia. It may have limitations but that depends upon how much we tend to extract out of the phone. For modders, custom ROM guys etc android will offer good customisation capablities, but for a normal user, WP is excellent.
Ditto here. I bought my Mom a 520 last May. I loved it so I bought myself a 720 last July. My sister loved my phone so she bought a 625 this april. My girlfriend loved my phone so she bought a 625 as well just couple days back. Only dad went to the Z10 but he was considering the 925 as well.
Old 18th October 2014, 11:35   #1939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
TrueCaller has been updated and it shows the 'caller' in realtime now. Needs WP8.1 Cyan update

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/st...3-57313f5ece90
How good is it with Indian numbers? Does it identify spam numbers?
Old 19th October 2014, 20:19   #1940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I am also using Lumia 720 on WIN 8.1 and the phone connects to my home wifi the moment i reach home. I have to do nothing manually. I agree with ani_meher that may be a soft reset would resolve the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Even I find this weird behavior in my lumia!
After the 8.1 update one can easily make out from the icons at the top how the traffic is flowing.

In spite of being connected to wifi (100% reliable) continuously, I see the phone using 3G connection a few times.
This is also verified independently since !dea gives an annoying message at the end of every data session.

I am bewildered why is the phone behaving this way!?

Also another weird behavior is that sometimes the phone does not connect to previously known wifi network. I have to manually key in the password again! Looks like an 8.2 update is sorely needed.
I'm on 720 with 8.1

When I'm connected to wifi and 3G data is on, I've observed that phone switches to wifi whenever there is no data on wifi network. I observed this when browsing on IE. Apart from that it never uses 3G data when on wifi.
Old 20th October 2014, 09:54   #1941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
The Lumia 930 will be available in stores and on-line from this week. Even though Ebay.in or some online store has it already listed at 34,999/-, that is not the official Lumia 930 as per Microsoft statement.
Have the 925 for an year almost. Battery is bad these days and I am wondering if a reset to factory would help. I am on Dev OS .

Next thing I wanna do is get a new battery or maybe get 930 ( never knew it was a 5inch one!)

And best time to get Lumia 530. Got one for mom last day, Diwali offer and hence 6300INR! I know you can get it cheaper online but I dnt have time
Old 20th October 2014, 12:45   #1942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Have the 925 for an year almost. Battery is bad these days and I am wondering if a reset to factory would help. I am on Dev OS .
One major factor I've noticed is the auto-brightness setting. If it is turned off and the brightness is set to low, the battery lasts much longer. If you are spending time indoor mostly, then you can save up the battery with this setting. Only downside is that it is very difficult to see when outdoor during the day. Try this if you haven't already done so.

I have an HTC 8X that is nearing 2 years now and it gives me around 1.5 days these days, with Wifi always on.
Old 21st October 2014, 08:55   #1943
BHPian

Nokia lumia 625@6999 on Amazon today, in case any one wants to buy it.
Old 24th October 2014, 10:25   #1944
Senior - BHPian

There is a "Critical Update" for those running the Developer's Preview. Installing the update as I type this.

Quote:
"This update contains our usual scope of fixes and improvements. We're requiring this update so we can continue to test our update systems. The update will show as a "critical update" on your phone."
I don't know if this update is critical for us or for Microsoft after reading this.
Old 24th October 2014, 22:57   #1945
BANNED

Just got the "critical" update. downloading it now.

Also need some tips for setting Cortana on my friend's 625. She got it delivered today and I told her to update to 8.1 first things first. She has done that now but working on how to get cortana running.
Old 25th October 2014, 01:04   #1946
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Just got the "critical" update. downloading it now.

Also need some tips for setting Cortana on my friend's 625. She got it delivered today and I told her to update to 8.1 first things first. She has done that now but working on how to get cortana running.
Cortana wont run unless your regional, language as well as keyboard is set to English(US). Once you set all the three you ve to restart the phone. It will then install some updates which will provide cortana.
Old 25th October 2014, 08:55   #1947
Senior - BHPian

Gifted my father a Lumia 530. He was previously using the 610 and is highly impressed with the entire Windows ecosystem. I got the 530 from a local store at Rs 5300 with screen guard installed free of cost. IMO, this is a highly VFM product.
Old 25th October 2014, 09:09   #1948
Senior - BHPian

I'm also installing the critical update now. By the look of it based on the description and the forced update warning that says it would forcefully update on 28th if it is not installed by then, here are the possibilities that I can think of:
  1. There is some vulnerability that could compromise the personal data of the users on the lines of the iCloud hack.
  2. There is some compliance issue that was probably not addressed by Microsoft earlier and needs to be in compliance by 28th.
  3. There is some other update on its way which might have been found by them to break dev preview phones.

Just guessing

EDIT: Saw a tweet that from MS that this update doesn't contain any fix. They are just testing the critical update capability! They should have announced it earlier and asked users to let it install as a forced update. Since I updated manually, it was just like any other update to me where I triggered the install.

If they wanted to test the forced push, they should have users who didn't install the update till then.

Anyone who is yet to download the update, can you check if it can be downloaded via GPRS/EDGE or if it requires Wi-Fi/3G? If it does require Wi-Fi for download, I'm curious how they would force the update on someone who rarely connects to Wi-Fi. It may not be common in US, but it would be in India

Last edited by zenren : 25th October 2014 at 09:24.
Old 25th October 2014, 11:17   #1949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Anyone who is yet to download the update, can you check if it can be downloaded via GPRS/EDGE or if it requires Wi-Fi/3G? If it does require Wi-Fi for download, I'm curious how they would force the update on someone who rarely connects to Wi-Fi. It may not be common in US, but it would be in India
It can be downloaded via Cellular as well.

My phone was set to download updates only via Wi-Fi. But when a popup showed up for this update, it showed me a choice to update via Cellular as well. And no other updates were available via Cellular prior to this.

Guess the "critical updates" get the special treatment!

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 25th October 2014 at 11:23.
Old 25th October 2014, 12:25   #1950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
It can be downloaded via Cellular as well.

My phone was set to download updates only via Wi-Fi. But when a popup showed up for this update, it showed me a choice to update via Cellular as well. And no other updates were available via Cellular prior to this.

Guess the "critical updates" get the special treatment!
Thanks for confirming, I think critical updates would be just single critical bug fix payload which should be small enough to be downloaded over the mobile data.

Most Viewed