Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2015, 20:49   #2056
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Hey guys,

After having used Android phones, I've been using a Nokia Lumia 925 for the past year (or 2? - I forget).

I didn't want to like the phone & just tried it on a whim but over time I got used to the interface & I began appreciating the phone.
Did was it was supposed to very well & didn't give me any problems.
Battery life was never an issue, grabbed network well, and had no dropped calls, etc.
Phone was never "laggy" playing back videos, nor did it get slow over time as Windows computers are known to.

The camera is great with some inbuilt picture editing -worked really well for me. Picture & video quality was right up there.

The one issue was no slot for additional storage card, & the limited 16GB internal memory that meant frequent backups of pictures & videos of a hyperactive 3 year old.

Though initially I did miss the multitude of Apps available on the Android system, I did get used to it and possibly the lack of nonsensical Apps even helped keep my phone more of a phone than a gaming / time-pass center, other than the usual WhatsApp nonsense.

Anyway, so now I've decided to move back to Android, for no reason other than I got a deal on a new-ish Android phone that I couldn't refuse (free!!!).

What I need with is help backing up my some of my SMS / text messages.
I could save some of my WhatsApp messages via the "email chat history" option, but a backup on a Windows Phone, will not restore on an Android phone.

This is the only link that, very loosely, comes close to taking a backup but people have had mixed results & I've had no luck:
SMS back up can be viewed online

Before I get booed out of this thread for switching alliances like old Brown Ben Plumm, has anyone else had any luck with backing up their SMS / text messages?

Last edited by aah78 : 14th January 2015 at 20:58. Reason: Edit. Added some more junk.
Old 14th January 2015, 21:09   #2057
BHPian

My dad got a Lumia 630 after his E52 gave up. He's not very tech savvy, so I have been helping him a little with the phone setup and customization.

I have never used a Windows phone before , neither has dad , so based on my brief experience, here's a list of things I didn't like about them.

1. No file browser. Android phones have a file system browser, as did Symbian (still using my Nokia N8). I hope there is a free app to do this at least.

2. No simple way to set new MP3 ringtones - you got to PC, connect phone, drag and drop MP3 songs to specific folder. What a usability trough.

3. Music library doesn't refresh easily and there's no way to make explicitly tell it to , in order to even see the new music files transferred. It probably will refresh media library after a reboot. Again a usability mess.

@carboy - thanks, will check if 8.1 update is available for the 630.

Last edited by Ricci : 14th January 2015 at 21:23.
Old 14th January 2015, 21:15   #2058
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

1. No file browser. Android phones have a file system browser, as did Symbian (still using my Nokia N8). I hope there is a free app to do this at least.
8.1 has one. 630 should be upgradeable to 8.1 if it's not already on 8.1.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-in/st...9-3526f54fc25e

Last edited by carboy : 14th January 2015 at 21:17.
Old 14th January 2015, 21:22   #2059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Please download the app called "Files" from the Windows store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci
2. No simple way to set new MP3 ringtones - you got to PC, connect phone, drag and drop MP3 songs to specific folder. What a usability trough.
Please download Windows Ringtone maker from store and make the tones from MP3 files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci
3. Music library doesn't refresh easily and there's no way to make explicitly tell it to , in order to even see the new music files transferred. It probably will refresh media library after a reboot. Again a usability mess.
You can check this from the "Files" app.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th January 2015 at 21:40. Reason: Post edited. Bold format removed. In-line replies removed.
Old 15th January 2015, 15:32   #2060
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I'm using gMaps application on my Windows phone and I'm fully satisfied with it. Try that out. It even accurately depicts the traffic situation in Hyderabad when I enable the traffic layer.
Tried it but it when it comes to Navigation, it opens Here Maps. Tried the same route, same result. It does show the Traffic properly though.
Old 12th February 2015, 23:05   #2061
Senior - BHPian

The Windows 10 Technical Preview will come to a few phones today!

The Windows Phone Thread-10968337_1082770915103508_5908678979479020005_n.jpg
Old 13th February 2015, 20:19   #2062
BHPian

Hi guys, I use a Nokia Lumia 730. If I insert 2nd sim, will I be able to use whattsapp for both the numbers?
Old 14th February 2015, 07:08   #2063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
Hi guys, I use a Nokia Lumia 730. If I insert 2nd sim, will I be able to use whattsapp for both the numbers?
No you wont be able to do that. But that's not a limitation of the phone. The app doesn't allow that in any phone.
Old 14th February 2015, 21:20   #2064
Senior - BHPian

@Ashwin, no sign of Win 10 update for my Lumia 730/525 yet, any idea when we may get it?

Also, most of the applications are stored on the sd card and couple of times have got memory card error, asking me to scan for the errors. have formatted the card twice. is the card faulty?
Old 14th February 2015, 21:33   #2065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
@Ashwin, no sign of Win 10 update for my Lumia 730/525 yet, any idea when we may get it?

Also, most of the applications are stored on the sd card and couple of times have got memory card error, asking me to scan for the errors. have formatted the card twice. is the card faulty?
The Win10 update that was just released will not be available for all phones. Only for those that have opted to be a part of the Windows Insider program.

Also, these aren't even beta builds. Not even close to the preview for developers builds. These are in-progress builds that will receive incremental updates over the months leading up to the public release of Win10 for phones.

As for your card, it is possible. Try with a different card and check.
Old 14th February 2015, 22:30   #2066
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Did you get Denim on your 525?
Old 14th February 2015, 22:37   #2067
Senior - BHPian

Not yet, its still on Cyan.

Thanks Ashwin, hope to get the Win10 update soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Did you get Denim on your 525?
Old 15th February 2015, 20:54   #2068
BANNED

i've heard the windows 10 technical preview will be heavily bugged. so I am deciding against installing it if it comes. I am on 8.1 dev preview still. (the official isnt out for us)
Old 15th February 2015, 22:13   #2069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
i've heard the windows 10 technical preview will be heavily bugged. so I am deciding against installing it if it comes. I am on 8.1 dev preview still. (the official isnt out for us)
Yes, same here.

I am holding out until the preview for developers comes out.
Old 17th February 2015, 23:29   #2070
BHPian

Got the win 10 update on my 630. Initial feelings:
1. The UI did not look that great initially. It takes a little time to configure the UI to make it look good. Once done it looks better than 8.1 UI.
2. Keyboard is crisp and neat. Also has a trackball kind of thing to navigate around text.
3. Notification much much better. Can reply to sms directly from notification center. Can dismiss one sms or email without dismissing all of them.
4. Facebook app crashing.
5. Most other apps functioning well.
6. The UI sometimes flashes a little when changing screens but I guess it is excusable on a developer preview version.

ALL in all a good experience till now.

Last edited by deep_bang : 17th February 2015 at 23:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks