Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2015, 13:36   #2071
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
i've heard the windows 10 technical preview will be heavily bugged. so I am deciding against installing it if it comes. I am on 8.1 dev preview still. (the official isnt out for us)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Yes, same here.

I am holding out until the preview for developers comes out.
My 720 is on Dev preview and was wondering why I am not getting Denim update. I disabled the developer preview and the immediately checked 'extras + info' and it shows as "Lumia Denim"!! Turn on the dev preview and the status goes back to "Lumia Cyan"
Old 18th February 2015, 19:06   #2072
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
My 720 is on Dev preview and was wondering why I am not getting Denim update. I disabled the developer preview and the immediately checked 'extras + info' and it shows as "Lumia Denim"!! Turn on the dev preview and the status goes back to "Lumia Cyan"
My phone is seriously having issues these days. It has those freezes which are sometimes uncurable ( I mentioned some time ago.) Some freezes are curable with the lower volume + power button. How to completely get rid of this issue guys? Is it to do with the dev preview? Is it to due to low space on phone? I have 300 mb on phone and 500 mb on SD card free.
Old 18th February 2015, 21:09   #2073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I haven't gotten Denim either. And same situation as yours, Dev Preview turned on.

That said, the Firmware mentioned on the MS website for the Denim update and the one on my phone is the same!

Quote:
My phone is seriously having issues these days. It has those freezes which are sometimes uncurable ( I mentioned some time ago.) Some freezes are curable with the lower volume + power button. How to completely get rid of this issue guys? Is it to do with the dev preview? Is it to due to low space on phone? I have 300 mb on phone and 500 mb on SD card free.
Try a hard reset. Get a bigger memory card and install your apps on the SD Card along with all your songs, pictures, videos etc.

I used to have this issue when I had bought the phone (September 2013), but those issues vanished in a month or two.
Old 20th February 2015, 20:22   #2074
Senior - BHPian

I got a message 2 days ago on my 720 that a critical update needed to be installed. So I obliged and it took around 15 minutes to instal and re-start. I could not find any noticeable change on the home screen, except that a new tile for 'Cortana' was added.

I tried clicking on that tile, but it keeps saying ' I'm sorry, but I can't speak your language yet' and has a link below that reads 'Go to Settings'. I tried various settings, but nothing seems to make it to work.

Any clues?
Old 21st February 2015, 09:32   #2075
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I got a message 2 days ago on my 720 that a critical update needed to be installed. So I obliged and it took around 15 minutes to instal and re-start. I could not find any noticeable change on the home screen, except that a new tile for 'Cortana' was added.

I tried clicking on that tile, but it keeps saying ' I'm sorry, but I can't speak your language yet' and has a link below that reads 'Go to Settings'. I tried various settings, but nothing seems to make it to work.

Any clues?
The Lumia denim update was rolled out for 720 two days back and that's the critical update. In order to use Cortana, change region, language and keyboard each to English(USA) instead of the current English(India). That will enable Cortana.
Old 21st February 2015, 09:41   #2076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The Lumia denim update was rolled out for 720 two days back and that's the critical update. In order to use Cortana, change region, language and keyboard each to English(USA) instead of the current English(India). That will enable Cortana.
Setting language to English (uk) or (us) will do. I think you can leave the keyboard to India. It works for me that way.
Old 21st February 2015, 10:26   #2077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Thanks. I googled for it last night and have all the settings in place. It worked fine also, except that it hogs the battery.
Old 21st February 2015, 10:44   #2078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
Setting language to English (uk) or (us) will do. I think you can leave the keyboard to India. It works for me that way.
Initially it required everything to be set to US since I have Cortana on Cyan itself. Guess for denim its standard and hence only language change is required. Reg battery, I cant make out the difference since I have been using it from long
Old 22nd February 2015, 23:40   #2079
Senior - BHPian

Any thoughts on the Lumia 1320?

I am considering the Moto G 2g. So on a whim dropped in to the nearest Reliance Digital store to look around what else is available under 15k.

Saw the Lumia 1320 which is now on offer for Rs 15K. Looked good to me.

I am a new user for smart phones, having never used any before. I may feel more comfortable with Windows than Android.

Pros and cons of buying this phone vs Moto G, in brief? Any other windows phone which may be better?
Old 24th February 2015, 16:04   #2080
BHPian

Quote:
My phone is seriously having issues these days. It has those freezes which are sometimes uncurable
How to completely get rid of this issue guys? Is it to do with the dev preview? Is it to due to low space on phone? I have 300 mb on phone and 500 mb on SD card free.
Hi kisharchit,

Did you start facing the issues much more after upgrading to Win 8.1? If Yes, then please reinstall the OS in your phone. I had the same issue on my Lumia 925 and a friend had it on his Lumia 720. This method helped both of us.
  1. Backup phone memory contents
  2. Remove memory Card
  3. Download and Install 'Lumia Software Recovery Tool' on your system
  4. Connect your phone and follow on-screen instructions.

This issue is mainly due to low space in Phone memory. Please try to ensure atleast 1.5GB Free space on phone memory.

Hope this helps!
Old 24th February 2015, 16:26   #2081
BHPian

I don't know what you guys think about Cortana, but I didn't find it even remotely comparable to Siri or Google Now.

Unless I pronounced it "Chinnai", It would not recognize Chennai the way it is pronounced. Something Google Now or Siri have no problems with.
Very weird. How has your experience been with Cortana?

WP8 is a decent platform. Simple & easy to use, but still generations behind iOS & Android when it comes to app support. Really sad.

Hope things change with WP10. Have heard that it's really buggy.
Old 24th February 2015, 17:29   #2082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Any thoughts on the Lumia 1320?

I am considering the Moto G 2g. So on a whim dropped in to the nearest Reliance Digital store to look around what else is available under 15k.

Saw the Lumia 1320 which is now on offer for Rs 15K. Looked good to me.

I am a new user for smart phones, having never used any before. I may feel more comfortable with Windows than Android.

Pros and cons of buying this phone vs Moto G, in brief? Any other windows phone which may be better?
Well since you are a first time smartphone user, you will certainly like Windows phones. Check out the Lumia 730. It is the newest of the lot under 15k. I have been using one since the past 4-5 months and am very satisfied. The display is simply amazing and so is the camera. Certainly better than the Lumia 1320 unless you want that extremely big display (which is uncomfortable to use everyday).

The pros of buying a windows phone are a much more fluid experience, no lag and much better build quality. The OS is extremely polished now. You will find almost all the usual apps on the store so no worries there as well. Long battery life is an added plus point. Plus Windows is not resource hungry so do not be sad that the ram is just 1 gb or anything like that. It is more than enough for the phone. Cons would be that certain apps not available on the store if that bothers you.

Android will give a plethora of apps and would suck the battery. Plus it will start lagging after a while. Benefit would be that it is customization friendly.

Another advice. Do not listen to people who have never used the "new" windows phones. They will always advice you against it.

P.S. All these thoughts based on my experience with two windows phones in the past two years. I am a very satisfied windows phone owner
Old 24th February 2015, 19:16   #2083
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Another advice. Do not listen to people who have never used the "new" windows phones. They will always advice you against it.

P.S. All these thoughts based on my experience with two windows phones in the past two years. I am a very satisfied windows phone owner
The 1320 is available for 13k on amazon.in!

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th February 2015 at 10:27. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Old 24th February 2015, 21:33   #2084
BHPian

Quote:
The 1320 is available for 13k on amazon.in!
Possible. But when did i mention any prices?

I mentioned that Lumia 730 is the newest Lumia and the best one under 15k. I bought it for Rs. 13,600 along with a screenguard the day it was launched. And then bought the second one for Rs. 14,000 in December for my dad (prices increased!).
Old 24th February 2015, 21:35   #2085
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Possible. But when did i mention any prices?

I mentioned that Lumia 730 is the newest Lumia and the best one under 15k. I bought it for Rs. 13,600 along with a screenguard the day it was launched. And then bought the second one for Rs. 14,000 in December for my dad (prices increased!).
Sorry I had to quote Gansan. He had mentioned he saw 1320 for 15k.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks