Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:38   #241
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

I moved from E5 to Lumia 800. There was absolutely no problem in contact transfer. I think the problem seems to be older Nokia phones.

On Windows phone I really miss Nokia suite type of application. Zune is pain.
Old 2nd April 2012, 20:50   #242
Senior - BHPian

I had bought Samsung Omnia Lite B-7300 Windows Phone on 16-09-2010.

The phone used to hang ocassionally and I have to remove the battery (did not know that Reset Button does not reset the phone to its factory settings) and reinsert it back to restore the phone.

Given the phone twice (once in May 2011 and again in Aug 2011) to the Service Center but in vain. In fact, the Person at the Service Center said to me "Its a Windows Phone. Windows Phones don't not like to be operated fast. Please use the phone in a "lazy" manner".

Now it hangs Frequently during accessing Phonebook, Messages, Dialled Call List (through the Send Key).

Is there any solution on this or do I have to buy new phone?

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 2nd April 2012 at 20:56.
Old 4th April 2012, 11:42   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I had bought Samsung Omnia Lite B-7300 Windows Phone on 16-09-2010.

Is there any solution on this or do I have to buy new phone?
Not sure about the Omnia lite infact i have never heard of it, is that a Windows 7 phone? I have a Omnia W which is a Windows 7.5 phone and it never hangs infact the service center was able to solve the 3G and sms issue with a firmware upgrade.

Found a good app to message contacts along with pictures without incurring sms or mms charge, it uses your existing internet connection. I know it might be quite old but thought of sharing it WhatsApp

Last edited by motomaverick : 4th April 2012 at 11:44.
Old 4th April 2012, 12:08   #244
Senior - BHPian

The Omnia Lite is a Windows Mobile 6.1 phone. Can you check your network status when your phone hangs. Old Win 6.1 phones had this issue of the phone hanging when network signal was weak.
Old 4th April 2012, 15:05   #245
Team-BHP Support

When I set up an email account (say Gmail), in the Sync settings, what does "Logging" mean? It is the last entry and the options include "off (recommended), basic, advanced".
Old 4th April 2012, 16:31   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
When I set up an email account (say Gmail), in the Sync settings, what does "Logging" mean? It is the last entry and the options include "off (recommended), basic, advanced".

Capturing error logs for troubleshooting.
Old 5th April 2012, 01:15   #247
BHPian

i have been trying to download the latest update for the Omnia W through Windows Phone Connector for Mac for days now...it just isnt downloading anything. I even updated the software on the Mac to the newest version, still the same problem , what to do now?
Old 8th April 2012, 11:33   #248
Team-BHP Support

I was trying to upload a picture thru' my facebook account as a post but it gave an error saying the browser doesn't support picture upload.

Any idea how it can be done?

If I open a picture on my phone and "Share" it, it gets uploaded into "Untitled Album". That's not what I want. I want to "post" a pic.
Old 8th April 2012, 11:46   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was trying to upload a picture thru' my facebook account as a post but it gave an error saying the browser doesn't support picture upload.

Any idea how it can be done?

If I open a picture on my phone and "Share" it, it gets uploaded into "Untitled Album". That's not what I want. I want to "post" a pic.
Picture as a post! What are the exact steps you are trying to do!
If you go to pictures, open an image and choose to share it to facebook from there, it will place it into your "Mobile Upload" Album in your photos on FB. You should also be able to post a caption and later comment that same photo later.

And with the facebook app for wp7, you can do almost the same thing, capture or add a picture (from your camera roll or directly from you skydrive) to the fb with caption/comment.

That logging option is for client troubleshooting purpose. It will be required to turn on in case you are torubleshooting your sync operation on the phone.

@Caliatenza,
Not really sure about the WP connector on mac. If its just about updating your phone, can you please try to connect it to a windows PC with Zune? It should really be quick if its not a major update you are talking about.

@radek,
I guess you are talking about managing contacts and all when you said you miss nokia suite! or is it aobut managing pictures/vides! I have used Nokia suite years back and only for a while so dont even remember many features out there. However, if you start using Outlook effectively and sync your contacts/emails/calendar/tasks for the account you will be happy managing (rather reading) them on the phone. I've been doing so for past 6 years now, never had a thought about flashing any of my windows phone, I have all my important details on servers/cloud. Except, some app data that you may have to worry about and back up.

Last edited by Ketan : 8th April 2012 at 12:06.
Old 8th April 2012, 11:54   #250
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Picture as a post! What are the exact steps you are trying to do!
If you go to pictures, open an image and choose to share it to facebook from there, it will place it into your "Mobile Upload" Album in your photos on FB. You should also be able to post a caption and later comment that same photo later.
I want to post the pic to a particular group on FB; hence, the Mobile Uploads album won't work.

Simplified form of query : how do I post the pic on my Wall rather than the Mobile Uploads album
Old 8th April 2012, 12:21   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want to post the pic to a particular group on FB; hence, the Mobile Uploads album won't work.

Simplified form of query : how do I post the pic on my Wall rather than the Mobile Uploads album
Alright, it sounds confusing to me.

You said, you want to post the picture to a particular group?? Its different than posting a picture on your wall/timeline.

You generally add a photo or share a photo to a "Group" << Not possible from WP7, or I dont know a way of doing it so far.

Any picture that you post using any device and posted to any album (including 'mobile upload') on your FB account shows up on your wall/timeline.
These are known facts, just an FYI if you started using FB recently.
Old 8th April 2012, 12:25   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
You generally add a photo or share a photo to a "Group" << Not possible from WP7, or I dont know a way of doing it so far.
Thank you, that was my query.
Old 8th April 2012, 15:20   #253
Senior - BHPian

@motomaverick and vikram..
When I checked the Version in the System Sub-menu under Settings, it says--
Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional
CE OS 5.2.21887 (Build 21887.5.0.86)
Processor:ARM1176 S3C6410.

The Device Version says--
PDA:B7300XXJA8
CSC: B7300INUIL4
PHONE: B7300XXJA2

Vikram,
How to check the Network Status after the phone hangs?

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 8th April 2012 at 15:22.
Old 8th April 2012, 17:47   #254
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

How is the LUMIA as a Windows Phone?
I won a brand new one yesterday as a prize in a Golf Tournament so I m thinking it might be nice to upgrade from my N8.
Old 8th April 2012, 18:39   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
How is the LUMIA as a Windows Phone?
I won a brand new one yesterday as a prize in a Golf Tournament so I m thinking it might be nice to upgrade from my N8.
I guess we dont have the Lumia 900 yet in India. If its 800, its one of the best phones around. Its a well designed and built windows phone. One gripe may be you want get to add the memory due its single piece design, but 16GB is good enough for most people. The robust gorilla glass and stunning AMOLED screen are some of the best features Nokia has provided. There are quite a few from the OS already discussed.
Sync Email,Calendar,Contacts and Tasks and these are multiple exchange and other types of accounts I'm talking about, you can merge you inboxes and the unified contacts getting merged from all the accounts is great!
Its a very good phone in my opinion. Please remember, the battery back would be same as any smartphone or pocket PC. with most of the features in use (an up to date email account with other few syncing every 15 or 30 minutes) and modrate to low usage of phone hours may give you 48 or less hours of battery backup. If you are a heavy user of phone, you may find issues with battery backup though.

Last edited by Ketan : 8th April 2012 at 18:42.

Most Viewed