Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2012, 16:46   #421
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Guys I am bumping this thread after facing a peculiar problem. I got the software of my 710 updated to the latest version. After that, when I connect it to comp, the phone is displayed and even the memory space is shown empty. When I drag and drop songs and files to sync with the phone, an error shows up that the phone is not responding. Everything was fine untill the software update. Now again I got the firmware reinstalled, but the problem is not yet solved. I simply cannot transfer files from my computer to the phone. Any idea on how to go about this thing? I am tired of going to Nokia Care who are not at all aware of my phone.
Old 25th June 2012, 18:48   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Guys I am bumping this thread after facing a peculiar problem. I got the software of my 710 updated to the latest version. After that, when I connect it to comp, the phone is displayed and even the memory space is shown empty. When I drag and drop songs and files to sync with the phone, an error shows up that the phone is not responding. Everything was fine untill the software update. Now again I got the firmware reinstalled, but the problem is not yet solved. I simply cannot transfer files from my computer to the phone. Any idea on how to go about this thing? I am tired of going to Nokia Care who are not at all aware of my phone.
Try doing a hard reset once. By your explanation it looks like the memory card chip has gone bust.
Old 25th June 2012, 19:18   #423
Team-BHP Support

1) I currently use IM+ as my gtalk messenger.

Is there an alternative? Quite often, I don't get chat notifications on IM+ although I'm shown Online.

2) Is there an app which shows battery usage? Just out of curiosity.
Old 25th June 2012, 19:41   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Vikram for the tip, but as your signature goes, been there, done that
Well this problem was existing from saturday and when I got to know the cause, I was like

On saturday I got the firmware upgraded. At the same time, I had purchased a USB extension cable. This cable turned out to be faulty and though all the details of the phone were displayed on the Comp, file transfer was not taking place. Randomly I removed the extension cable and used only the phone cable and things worked like a charm. For this, I had to visit nokia care twice, lose all the data on my phone and lose all the accounts etc.

Other than UC browser any alternatives to IE?
Old 25th June 2012, 19:52   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
1) I currently use IM+ as my gtalk messenger.

Is there an alternative? Quite often, I don't get chat notifications on IM+ although I'm shown Online.

2) Is there an app which shows battery usage? Just out of curiosity.
IM+ as of now does not support push notifications as of now and that is why you dont get chat notifications. No other good alternative that I can think of.

For battery usage there is an app called Battery Status, but that needs a developer unlocked handset for it to be able to poll battery status. It's a pretty decent app which also shows battery usage in a graphical format.
Old 26th June 2012, 11:31   #426
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
IM+ as of now does not support push notifications as of now and that is why you dont get chat notifications.
I do get push notifications; it's just they are highly irregular. Often, I notice IMs only when I open the app.

Quote:
For battery usage there is an app called Battery Status, but that needs a developer unlocked handset for it to be able to poll battery status. It's a pretty decent app which also shows battery usage in a graphical format.
How do I developer-unlock my phone?
Old 26th June 2012, 11:45   #427
Team-BHP Support

Just read this article on cNet Asia:
Windows Phone 7.5 handsets will not get WP8 upgrade - Mobile Phones - CNET - CNET Asia

Wonder what Nokia was thinking when they launched the Lumia 900 in the soon-to-be-obsolete WP 7.5 platform.

On a positive note, WP 8 looks like a majorly reworked platform.
Microsoft announces Windows Phone 8, refreshes OS - Mobile Phones - CNET - CNET Asia
Old 26th June 2012, 12:02   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do get push notifications; it's just they are highly irregular. Often, I notice IMs only when I open the app.

How do I developer-unlock my phone?
WP7 has a deep sleep mode which it goes into to save battery. When this happens you will not get any push notifications except SMS/MMS notifications.

For unlocking the phone you will have to install HSPL and then install an uinlocked ROM.

HTC HD7 - xda-developers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Just read this article on cNet Asia:
Windows Phone 7.5 handsets will not get WP8 upgrade - Mobile Phones - CNET - CNET Asia

Wonder what Nokia was thinking when they launched the Lumia 900 in the soon-to-be-obsolete WP 7.5 platform.

On a positive note, WP 8 looks like a majorly reworked platform.
Microsoft announces Windows Phone 8, refreshes OS - Mobile Phones - CNET - CNET Asia
This is a week old news now. WP8 will not support single core processors. So for the old handsets they have anounced a version called WP 7.8 which will have basically the same UI as WP8 but WP7.8 will not have all the features of WP8.
Old 26th June 2012, 12:27   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbops1 View Post
The main change is the shared core ( common drivers kernel etc as in Windows 8 ). So most of the software which works on PC should work on phone.
This looks like Plan B. Microsoft wants WP8 to be supported on variety of hardware (same like Windows desktop OS). Hence the totally new core for phone. Its clear that they are going after Android and want its phone OS on variety of hardware.
Since they are offering native support, they are targeting enterprises to deploy Windows phone, tablets. Microsoft is late into the phone & tablet party. Again, phones & tablets are perceived as personal devices. Enterprises in the past have gone with Blackberrys for their employees. Will they fund Windows phones & tablets for their employees?
Not sure how this will pan out.
PS: I guess Microsoft Plan A was to take some share from iPhone.
Quote:
There is no reason why existing phones can't run WP8. Only reason I can think not providing support is the logistic nightmare of deploying new ROM for WP7 devices.
Old 26th June 2012, 12:51   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
This looks like Plan B. Microsoft wants WP8 to be supported on variety of hardware (same like Windows desktop OS). Hence the totally new core for phone. Its clear that they are going after Android and want its phone OS on variety of hardware.
If their plan was to support WP8 on variety of hardware, they don't seem to have succeeded coz WP8 will only run on multi core Snapdragon processors from Qualcomm. Doesn't seem like a lot of variety.
Old 26th June 2012, 13:14   #431
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is a week old news now. WP8 will not support single core processors. So for the old handsets they have anounced a version called WP 7.8 which will have basically the same UI as WP8 but WP7.8 will not have all the features of WP8.
Thansk. It is indeed a week old story.
My point was mainly on the business sense from Nokia.
Old 26th June 2012, 13:16   #432
Senior - BHPian

They should support WP8 on older devices. Other than NFC, are there any other hardware that are getting added?
The OS should not have dependencies on number of cores or additional features dependent on hardware. I think MS is doing this deliberately for some reason.

Does it under perform on single core and MS doesnt want to see this happen?
Nokia should arm twist MS (not feasible though).
Old 26th June 2012, 13:28   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
If their plan was to support WP8 on variety of hardware, they don't seem to have succeeded coz WP8 will only run on multi core Snapdragon processors from Qualcomm. Doesn't seem like a lot of variety.
Can you name the source of this info. Cause as far as I know they have not yet specified any processor. They have just said multi-core processors with a maximum limit of 64 cores (how I wish such a processor existed)

Another point to be noted is that Intel is now serious about mobile processors and keeping this in mind I do not think Microsoft will tie itself down to a single processor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thansk. It is indeed a week old story.
My point was mainly on the business sense from Nokia.
I am sure Nokia has multi-core devices in the pipeline. They had to launch the Lumia 900 because they were getting thrashed in the US as the Lumia 800 didnt have NFC and a front facing camera. I was also extremely surprised when I found out that the Lumia 800 didn't even have a front facing camera.

But that being said you are right about the business sense part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
They should support WP8 on older devices. Other than NFC, are there any other hardware that are getting added?
The OS should not have dependencies on number of cores or additional features dependent on hardware. I think MS is doing this deliberately for some reason.

Does it under perform on single core and MS doesnt want to see this happen?
Nokia should arm twist MS (not feasible though).
The problem in my opinion with supporting older phones is the logistical nightmare of dishing out updates to all those devices and support for those updates.

More details about Windows Phone 8 can be at the link below.

Announcing Windows Phone 8

HTC is also joining the WP8 party with 3 new models. Basically the HTC One series running WP8

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/htc-...ones-50008348/

Last edited by vikram_d : 26th June 2012 at 13:30.
Old 26th June 2012, 13:42   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Can you name the source of this info. Cause as far as I know they have not yet specified any processor. They have just said multi-core processors with a maximum limit of 64 cores (how I wish such a processor existed)

Another point to be noted is that Intel is now serious about mobile processors and keeping this in mind I do not think Microsoft will tie itself down to a single processor.
The link that you posted says this near the end :
Quote:
We’re really excited about the strong line-up of hardware partners who are putting their support behind Windows Phone 8. The first wave of devices for Windows Phone 8 will come from Nokia, Huawei, Samsung, and HTC, all built on next-generation chips from Qualcomm.
There are a lot of articles on the internet about WP8 and all mention that Qualcomm will be the exclusive supplier of chips for WP8. Qualcomm was the exclusive supplier for WP7 too.

Here is one from GSM Arena :
Microsoft to use Snapdragon S4 Plus for Windows Phone 8 - GSMArena.com news

Quote:
As we already reported, Qualcomm remains the exclusive chipset manufacturer for the Windows Phone platform. Today we got a little more details on the actual chips that will go inside the new Windows Phone smartphones, as Qualcomm confirmed they will be providing the future WP8 smartphones with their Snapdragon S4 Plus chipsets.
Old 26th June 2012, 13:57   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Not just processor. There is literally a Windows driver for every piece of hardware in this world. So anybody can fit any hardware and able to get WP8 running on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
NFC in Win8 is not in the phone, but in the sim. This gives control to the carrier (at least in US) whether to give NFC or not.
Quote:
The problem in my opinion with supporting older phones is the logistical nightmare of dishing out updates to all those devices and support for those updates.
Right. Backing up existing WP7 data, settings, apps and deploying on WP8 would have been challenging. But they must have provided an option for people who are willing to 'reset' their phone.

This is the 2nd time Microsoft is deserting is their customers, first with Windows Mobile 6 & now with WP7. How many customers are going to trust Microsoft on WP8?

Most Viewed