Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2012, 14:06   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post

NFC in Win8 is not in the phone, but in the sim. This gives control to the carrier (at least in US) whether to give NFC or not.
WP8?
@msdivy, the security is part of the SIM not NFC itself. Is a good place since SIM already has the keys for authentication to the network
Old 27th June 2012, 10:44   #437
Distinguished - BHPian

What about the 7.8? Any idea when it will be out for upgrade?
Old 27th June 2012, 10:56   #438
BHPian

Well, I am not going to miss WP8. I can live without the new features added. Only thing I will miss is memory card support. But I bought Lumia 800 fully knowing that there is no memory card support.

But what I am worried about is small usability features. I don't know what all WP7.8 is going contain other than new Home screen. There are so many small features that does not require any special hardware. Will MS committed to continue working on such features for WP7 phones. For example, I have major problem with font size of phone number in contacts display. It is so small that many times, i am not able to read it. I seen many complaints regarding this on MS Answers site. There are many such small features that needs a change. Not sure if these kind of usability changes will be there in 7.8.
Old 28th June 2012, 01:56   #439
Senior - BHPian

What about the basics first, like USSD? Saw no mention about support for it on either 7.8 or 8. Without even basic things like this lacking, I'm not sure how far MS is going. At least for me a Windows Phone ain't going to be an option unless they address these basic but major drawbacks.
Old 28th June 2012, 13:26   #440
Distinguished - BHPian

I am currently using Head-Up display in my lumia to display the car speed on the windshield. It looks ultra cool in the dark. Do you guys use anything similar or better? I am looking for free apps though.
Old 28th June 2012, 13:54   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I am currently using Head-Up display in my lumia to display the car speed on the windshield. It looks ultra cool in the dark. Do you guys use anything similar or better? I am looking for free apps though.
There is an app called Free GPS Speedometer that works well for heads up display pruposes. It has a car mode in which the app mirrors the display so that it will appear correctly in the reflection.

Last edited by vikram_d : 28th June 2012 at 14:23. Reason: App name correction
Old 28th June 2012, 13:57   #442
BHPian

Quote:
How do you do that ? I am currently use Omnia W i can do the same ?
Old 28th June 2012, 14:00   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
How do you do that ? I am currently use Omnia W i can do the same ?
Use the app I have mentioned in my previous post and you can. You just place the phone near the windshield where you want the display to appear and the phone's display is reflected off the windshield. Looks really neat at night.
Old 28th June 2012, 14:35   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the app. It is much more informative but haven't tried it out yet. Head up display is a simple one. Just a big alphanumeric stlye display. However it is responsive and neat. Most people go seeing that on my windshield.
Old 29th June 2012, 10:45   #445
BHPian

Quote:
What is head-up display? Is there any preinstalled app in Lumia for this?
Old 29th June 2012, 11:18   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no preinstalled app in any Windows phone. However, these are the two free apps that I have downloaded and am using. You have to place your phone on the dashboard in a place you are comfortable with. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Here are a few pics to let you know better:

This one is called Free-GPS Speedometer: Except for the lateral shift, the image looks blurry but maybe red colour will decrease the blurryness:

The Windows Phone Thread-dsc05749.jpg

Night view:

The Windows Phone Thread-dsc05742.jpg

Analogue mode:

The Windows Phone Thread-dsc05740.jpg

This another app, which can only display the speed and direction you are heading. It is simple and looks like OE equipment.

The Windows Phone Thread-dsc05717.jpg

The Windows Phone Thread-dsc05734.jpg

Sorry for the poor pics as my hands shiver a bit causing pictures to go blurred.

EDIT: There was a firmware upgrade yesterday and the phone was updated yesterday with Zune. The latest firmware is 1600.3031.8773.12121 and the previous version was 12120. This promises better usage performance, along with support for DLNA using Nokia developed App, and turn the phone upside down to silence a call.

Last edited by audioholic : 29th June 2012 at 11:22. Reason: Added information
Old 29th June 2012, 11:38   #447
Senior - BHPian

You can try to put a patch of dark film for the reflection to work better.
Old 29th June 2012, 11:44   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: There was a firmware upgrade yesterday and the phone was updated yesterday with Zune. The latest firmware is 1600.3031.8773.12121 and the previous version was 12120. This promises better usage performance, along with support for DLNA using Nokia developed App, and turn the phone upside down to silence a call.
That's the Tango update being rolled out. It started a couple of days back.
Old 29th June 2012, 11:47   #449
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it? No other changes but. Same UI, same menus etc. However from the previous one to 12120 there were noticeable changes in battery life, some more options etc. Am more eager for 7.8.

@Srishiva, the car already has a green tint in the top but this is somewhere in the middle. If I keep it much farther away, it seems to reduce. But in the night the reflections are better due to incoming light from outside.

Last edited by audioholic : 29th June 2012 at 11:49.
Old 4th July 2012, 12:21   #450
BHPian

Just updated my L800 with the updates pushed by Zune. Internet tethering is the only noticable thing till now..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks