Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2012, 19:35   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Silent launch for Lumia 900. Overpriced in my opinion.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/nokia-lau...291766-11.html
Who would buy 7.5, when they can get 8 in about a month? BTW 900 was the supposed iPhone 4S killer.
Old 17th September 2012, 19:48   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Who would buy 7.5, when they can get 8 in about a month? BTW 900 was the supposed iPhone 4S killer.
Well, I'm sure we have enough non tech savvy people who would. But like I said, I find it overpriced especially for a model that will never get the WP8 upgrade.
Old 29th September 2012, 21:25   #588
Team-BHP Support

I've Gmail set up on my phone. When I delete an email from the phone, it reflects on the server within a few minutes. However, the email is still there.

Eg. I've email alerts from NDTV which I delete once I read them on the phone. If I log in to gmail online and search NDTV, all the emails that I've deleted from the phone show up.

Another thing - the email count doesn't go down when I delete these emails from the server. So, where are they located?

I've an Outlook account set up as well and when I delete email on Outlook on the phone, it shows up in the Deleted folder on the server. Funny!
Old 29th September 2012, 21:35   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I've Gmail set up on my phone. When I delete an email from the phone, it reflects on the server within a few minutes. However, the email is still there.
Did you sync after deleting?
Old 29th September 2012, 21:37   #590
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Did you sync after deleting?
Yep.

After I delete from the phone, it doesn't show up in Inbox. But if I search for NDTV, all the email I've deleted from the phone show up. Email count doesn't decrease once I delete them from the online server.
Old 30th September 2012, 11:36   #591
Distinguished - BHPian

The mails that are read, deleted etc are reflected in your email server only after the next sync session. Once I read a mail on the phone, it is still shown unread in the webpage, untill the mailbox syncs the next time.
BTW, just bought a new back panel for my 710 from nokia care yesterday as the old one had a lot of scratches. Now white front and black back!
Old 3rd October 2012, 07:10   #592
Team-BHP Support

A friend who runs an unlocked version on his HTC HD7 mentioned that he got the update notification for Windows Phone 7.8.

Anybody else?

I'm running the stock ROM and I just checked Zune; no update for me yet.
Old 3rd October 2012, 07:37   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A friend who runs an unlocked version on his HTC HD7 mentioned that he got the update notification for Windows Phone 7.8.

Anybody else?

I'm running the stock ROM and I just checked Zune; no update for me yet.
That build is not an official release. It is a leaked one. I have it on my HD2 also. You will have to install a custom ROM to get it.

Last edited by vikram_d : 3rd October 2012 at 07:39.
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:40   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Eg. I've email alerts from NDTV which I delete once I read them on the phone. If I log in to gmail online and search NDTV, all the emails that I've deleted from the phone show up.

Another thing - the email count doesn't go down when I delete these emails from the server. So, where are they located?

I've an Outlook account set up as well and when I delete email on Outlook on the phone, it shows up in the Deleted folder on the server. Funny!
If you have set it up as pop3 server, the changes will not be synced. if it's setup as IMAP server, the chnage swill be reflected upon sync. Check in phone as well as in the gmail settings, what kind of email access you have allowed.

I use WM6.5, not WP but the concept of pop3 and imap4 should be the same.
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:35   #595
Senior - BHPian

Windows Phone users, can you tell me how much of an inconvenience is it to use a program to transfer files to & fro from the phone - compared to just plug'n'play USB device (like Android).

I am asking this because except for this point - I am quite sold on Windows phone.
(Also does the transfer program work on linux via wine?)
Old 4th October 2012, 10:47   #596
BHPian

It is a big pain - in fact you can't transfer anything other than song/photo/video via Zune. Also there is no way you can transfer songs from a specific folder. You have to go via Zune's way of organising your collection by Singer, Genre, Album etc.

You can copy office documents, pdf files, photos using email. No problem here. But not over wire from you computer.

But frankly, I rarely copy any files to my phone, other than email attachments.

If copying file is your major requirement, please stay away from Windows phone.

I heard MS is doing away from Zune from next version WP7.8/8.0.

BTW, if you want to buy Windows phone, wait till Windows 8 phone are released next month.
Old 4th October 2012, 13:44   #597
Distinguished - BHPian

If you want to enable mass storage, all you have to do is a registry tweak. Btw, any idea when WP 7.8 upgrade is available?
Old 5th October 2012, 11:11   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Windows Phone users, can you tell me how much of an inconvenience is it to use a program to transfer files to & fro from the phone - compared to just plug'n'play USB device (like Android).
You have to use Zune (installation file is 200MB+ download). Zune is the worst software to manage music. Actually Windows Media Player is far better than Zune. The most common problem with Zune is some of your MP3 files won't be recognized and won't show for syncing with your phone.

Common reason given by Microsoft Zune MVP are,
1) Tags are bad (why can't they use folder, filenames??)
2) Format is wrong (its MP3!!)
3) Incompatible DRM (why does rest of the music players have no problem??)
4) Music or the metadata is corrupted (??)
5) Any other lame excuse.

Or you might just be lucky and Zune would show all your files.

PS: Note that Zune can sync only music, video or pictures with your phone. No other file. For syncing any file, you have to use online storage like Skydrive.

Last edited by msdivy : 5th October 2012 at 11:15.
Old 5th October 2012, 17:34   #599
Distinguished - BHPian

Not able to access chat from my phone since yesterday. The phone displays - Not able to connect to chat. But not showing the reason. Internet is fine, but still the phone is not able to connect. Restart did not work. Any other reasons or solutions?
Old 5th October 2012, 17:45   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Not able to access chat from my phone since yesterday. The phone displays - Not able to connect to chat. But not showing the reason. Internet is fine, but still the phone is not able to connect. Restart did not work. Any other reasons or solutions?
This happens when there are issues happening with the chat servers. They may be upgrading the servers as WP8 official release is almost here.

Edit: Can you login from your desktop messenger? (If you use that)

Most Viewed