Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2013, 06:28   #871
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
What are the new features in windows 7.8? I am planning to get my lumia 610 updated this weekend.
Just re-sizable Home Screen tiles and more wallpaper/ringtone options. Waste of effort.
Old 19th April 2013, 07:27   #872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

Just re-sizable Home Screen tiles and more wallpaper/ringtone options. Waste of effort.
What about bluetooth sharing?
Moreover the current version does not support USSD. Is this issue resolved in the update?
Old 20th April 2013, 10:49   #873
Senior - BHPian

Got a Lumia 520 for 10K Yesterday,what a welcome change; the UI feels so refreshing,the Ip5 suddenly feels boring

Last edited by akshay4587 : 20th April 2013 at 11:04.
Old 20th April 2013, 11:05   #874
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Got a Lumia 520 for 10K Yesterday,what a welcome change the UI feels so refreshing,the Ip5 suddenly feels boring
Can you elaborate on the points where the 520 felt more exciting than the iP5? I was thinking if I should move to a Lumia 920. I have a HTC HD7 (WP 7.8) as well which I find quite basic compared to iOS.
Old 20th April 2013, 14:25   #875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Can you elaborate on the points where the 520 felt more exciting than the iP5? I was thinking if I should move to a Lumia 920. I have a HTC HD7 (WP 7.8) as well which I find quite basic compared to iOS.
Not sure about WP7.8,but i have been using iOS since 2010,started off with iOS 3 and now on iOS6,i have not seen any major changes,yes features have been added,but overall UI experience still remains the same,wanted to upgrade my iPhone 3GS in Jan to a Lumia 920,but everyone was against purchasing it,so i ended up with iPhone 5.

I am not a sucker for applications,just the basic one's work for me,so i dont mind the major drawback of WP8.The UI may not be new to you since you have been using WP7.8,so you can try out the iPhone 5 instead of Lumia 920.
Old 20th April 2013, 14:46   #876
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Not sure about WP7.8,but i have been using iOS since 2010,started off with iOS 3 and now on iOS6,i have not seen any major changes,yes features have been added,but overall UI experience still remains the same,wanted to upgrade my iPhone 3GS in Jan to a Lumia 920,but everyone was against purchasing it,so i ended up with iPhone 5.

I am not a sucker for applications,just the basic one's work for me,so i dont mind the major drawback of WP8.The UI may not be new to you since you have been using WP7.8,so you can try out the iPhone 5 instead of Lumia 920.
Thank you! I have an iPhone 4S and my wife is using the 5. HD7 is our backup phone. By the end of the month I have the option to trade-in the 4S and go for a new phone. Been hearing good feedback on Lumia 920, so was thinking about it. In WP, I find some of the basic applications (e.g.; Facebook) a bit lacking compared to iOS. Anyway, I will weigh the options for the next few weeks and decide – either to go for a new phone, or take my wife’s iP5 and get her a Note 2 or Galaxy S4.
Old 21st April 2013, 23:36   #877
Team-BHP Support

Checked out the Lumia 720 earlier in the evening, and I can't understand what the executive who froze on the Ram was thinking. Come on man, to think of it Nokia has finally come up with an extremely balance phone besides the low ram.
I have been pitching between the 720 and the Xperia ZL for a while now, and I would not have to think any further had the 720 been loaded with adequate ram.
Old 22nd April 2013, 00:45   #878
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Checked out the Lumia 720 earlier in the evening, and I can't understand what the executive who froze on the Ram was thinking. Come on man, to think of it Nokia has finally come up with an extremely balance phone besides the low ram.
I have been pitching between the 720 and the Xperia ZL for a while now, and I would not have to think any further had the 720 been loaded with adequate ram.
Take a look at the Xperia SP for 25.5K. It has a dual core krait processor, 1GB RAM, 8MP cam, 4.6" 1280X768 screen, 8GB internal memory + storage and a pretty decent 2370mAH battery.

The ZL is a very good option as well if your looking at something high end. The SP is an all rounder.
Old 22nd April 2013, 01:01   #879
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Take a look at the Xperia SP for 25.5K. It has a dual core krait processor, 1GB RAM, 8MP cam, 4.6" 1280X768 screen, 8GB internal memory + storage and a pretty decent 2370mAH battery.

The ZL is a very good option as well if your looking at something high end. The SP is an all rounder.
I check out the SP, it was priced at 26,990 here. The ZL in my opinion looks and feels a full class above. Is it possibly to access the static IP for our CCTV surveillance systems (2 sets x 13 cameras each) on the 720?
Also, what offline maps can I use for navigation on the Android? Are these accurate for searching street addresses?
Old 22nd April 2013, 09:42   #880
BHPian

Wife uses iOS, me uses Android. When my 3GS went kaput on the charging front, thought of getting a Windows mobile. After a visit Croma yesterday and having a nice feel of all Lumia phone, shortlisted the 720. Unfortunately they had only the display piece. Left with a heavy heart.
On my way back, wifey suggested to hit Univercell. It was already 9.30, but they were doing brisk business atleast with couple of customers. Went straight away and asked for the 720 and voila it was available. Hit a bargain, final price was 17900 which includes a Philips head set too.
Paid with 0% EMI for 6 months. Did a micro sim cut for my wifey sim and hit back home.
First impression, the screen is buttery smooth and no lag whatsoever.
The UI and all are pretty new and I am still finding a better way to sync\add music photos to it. Tried the windows phone app, but it sync only from iTunes library.
Any suggestions, BTW I am using the Mac.

Overall impression, second time felt value for money.
Old 22nd April 2013, 13:13   #881
BHPian

The wife has been using the 520 for about 2 weeks now.
So far, the experience has been a mixed bag.

The Good Stuff:
1. Very easy to use phone. Simple interface.
2. Quite light and can be used with one hand.
3. Fairly decent screen for a phone worth 10k.
4. Excellent GPS & Navigation software. Works like a breeze in Chennai.
5. No need of 3G for using navigation & GPS.

The Bad Stuff:
1. Absolutely unacceptable battery life. A full charge lasts less than 24 hours if 3G is on.
2. Phone heats up too much when streaming data through 3G. After a while it gets too hot to touch.
3. App support is severely limited.
4. No toggles/shortcuts for any settings.
5. Severely limited customization options.
6. Touch response, especially while typing, is not accurate. Feels clumsy after using an iPhone.
7. Limited Multi-Tasking.
8. Limited screen standby options.
9. No email attachment capability for documents.
10. No Notification Center.
11. No Folders.
12. Lack of sync-ed bookmarks.
13. No Phone search.

I realize that many of the limitations I've listed above are not phone related, but OS related. But nonetheless, they are limitations which impact the usability of the overall product by a huge amount! Come on Microsoft, I can't set a background of my choice as a wallpaper? I can set a background only for the standby screen? What is this? Page 1 from the handbook of left winged dictatorship?

IMO, Windows Phone 8 has many miles to go before it can lock horns with the likes of iOS & Android. The experience is so much less awesome than I was expecting.
Old 22nd April 2013, 18:57   #882
BHPian

My answers in bold - these are my personal observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post

The Bad Stuff:
1. Absolutely unacceptable battery life. A full charge lasts less than 24 hours if 3G is on.
A. Not sure of 520, I would say most smart phones don't last more than 24 hours. (on moderate to heavy usage)

2. Phone heats up too much when streaming data through 3G. After a while it gets too hot to touch.
A. Again not sure about 520, my wife's 620 works well though. However, I would like to add that, I've seen many phones heating up with 3G on constantly. My suggestion: Turn off 3G while not in use.

3. App support is severely limited.
A. Agreed, but many of the good apps are available, of course games are far limited. WP not yet there for gamers.

4. No toggles/shortcuts for any settings.
A. Try "ConnectivityShortcuts" app. Not exactly as in Android, but is handy.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-in/st...b-b897bff25a2c

5. Severely limited customization options.
A. Not sure of the exact customization you are looking for. However, most customizations are limited to Android alone.

6. Touch response, especially while typing, is not accurate. Feels clumsy after using an iPhone.
A. 620 works very well, have tried 820 and 920 as well - they work flawlessly - on par with iPhone.

7. Limited Multi-Tasking.
A. Yes.

8. Limited screen standby options.
A. Not sure what that means, but there are many apps which can be used on lock screen - if that's what you were referring to.

9. No email attachment capability for documents.
A. Havent tried attaching documents. But, i think it should be possible.

10. No Notification Center.
A. Not yet.. common MS! But Unification app is good, however, its of little use now.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-in/st...8-14917ce2c7b7

11. No Folders.
A. Not sure why folders for in WP8.

12. Lack of sync-ed bookmarks.
A. Try UC Browser. (not sure if it syncs though)

13. No Phone search.
A. :(
Old 25th April 2013, 00:27   #883
BHPian

You can now store maps on SD card

Quote:
New: Maps can be now stored on SD card instead of phone memory, which comes handy when you have lots of map data to store. Use the switch to change the location you want to manage and download to or delete maps from that location. By doing this, all your Maps apps, like HERE Drive+, HERE Maps and any 3rd party ones will now use the Maps on SD card.

http://betalabs.nokia.com/trials/Storage-Check
Old 25th April 2013, 13:02   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
You can now store maps on SD card

http://betalabs.nokia.com/trials/Storage-Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
The Good Stuff:
4. Excellent GPS & Navigation software. Works like a breeze in Chennai.
5. No need of 3G for using navigation & GPS.
Since my question got drowned in the din of excited new Lumia buyers, let me repeat:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
How good are the Nokia maps in India?
I am trying to compare them with Google maps on my desktop web browser, and Nokia map (takes me to here.com) really falls short ...
What is so excellent about Nokia map software, when there are no locations marked in their maps?

Also the state road network marked on Google maps is more detailed and accurate.

I am aware that one can use the google maps on Lumia ...
Old 25th April 2013, 21:20   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

Since my question got drowned in the din of excited new Lumia buyers, let me repeat:

What is so excellent about Nokia map software, when there are no locations marked in their maps?

Also the state road network marked on Google maps is more detailed and accurate.

I am aware that one can use the google maps on Lumia ...
Nokia maps are the best offline maps you can get with navigation(not talking about HERE maps but HERE Drive) with probably free lifetime updates

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks