Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2013, 11:01   #886
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Since my question got drowned in the din of excited new Lumia buyers, let me repeat:

What is so excellent about Nokia map software, when there are no locations marked in their maps?

Also the state road network marked on Google maps is more detailed and accurate.
I agree. In terms of accuracy and navigation routing (forming best possible route), Google maps are better than Nokia maps. Few months back, while driving to a not so major town in Maharashtra, we had both maps based navigation on. My wife was using Google maps on her Android phone and I was using Nokia maps on Lumia. Overall, I found map and routing in Google map was much better. Nokia map suggested me to take some really small roads that only local Bolero can use.

However, somewhere on the way, there was a patch with no network. Google maps totally got blank, whereas Lumia was continuing to show direction.
Old 26th April 2013, 12:09   #887
Senior - BHPian

I have 2 Lumia 800 from jan 2012 and am considering purchase of a Lumia 820/920 for my son. Not that I personally consider Lumia/win OS to be the best but I personally do not prefer:

1. The plastic look and curved shape of Samsung phones.
2. The Android OS
3. The aged interface of the Iphone (have a ipad 4 which has the same interface and it is becoming boring to me). I do not prefer to overpay for a phone and interface that looked the same some years ago too. Things have changed under the hood, mostly for the better, but I do not care.

Compared with this, the things about Lumia and the platform that keep me interested include:
1. Rectangular look and good phone build quality
2. Easiness of win os interface
3. Syncing of contacts with hotmail/outlook (I use gmail for mails but hotmail for contacts sync)
4. Not much into apps. 8-10 apps will do.
5. My son does not like too much the limited games in Windows but that problem has been corrected with the ipad.
Old 26th April 2013, 12:26   #888
Senior - BHPian

ANyone using the Lumia 520's ?

Any reports on the battery life?
Old 26th April 2013, 12:33   #889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
ANyone using the Lumia 520's ?

Any reports on the battery life?
I am using it since almost a week now.
Battery life is normal,lasts a day(24 hours) with 3G usage.
Old 26th April 2013, 14:32   #890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Nokia maps are the best offline maps you can get with navigation(not talking about HERE maps but HERE Drive) with probably free lifetime updates
Is the database for Here Map is different from Here Drive?
I was not talking about navigation abilities or features, but a simple basic requirement for a map: if places do not exist on the map, it is just a drawing. Places also includes roads and chowks etc.

As an example: I drove from Pune to Daman by simply searching the Hotel's name on google maps. I don't see that level of details in Here maps (browser version). I don't know if there is a more detailed view (with regards to roads and places) available on Nokia phone.

By the way, the Hotel's location was duplicate marked on google maps. One was right and another was wrong location. Unfortunately the google navigation picked up wrong one. But as soon as I reached the hotel, I reported the problem with the wrong location, and google removed the erroneous entry promptly. Now it shows the correct Hotel location.

How I reached the place? Because google maps had detailed road map with names. That helped me.
example:

NOKIA:
GOOGLE:

The route given by Nokia map is horrible after entry to Daman. Route given by Google (though doesn't look as big on map), is well very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
I agree. In terms of accuracy and navigation routing (forming best possible route), Google maps are better than Nokia maps. Few months back, while driving to a not so major town in Maharashtra, we had both maps based navigation on. My wife was using Google maps on her Android phone and I was using Nokia maps on Lumia. Overall, I found map and routing in Google map was much better. Nokia map suggested me to take some really small roads that only local Bolero can use.

However, somewhere on the way, there was a patch with no network. Google maps totally got blank, whereas Lumia was continuing to show direction.
I guess I will come to know the exact benefit of Nokia soon, since I am going to buy a Lumia, hahaha.

Does the magnetometer on 620 actually help in navigation?

Last edited by alpha1 : 26th April 2013 at 14:49.
Old 1st May 2013, 16:36   #891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I have 2 Lumia 800 from jan 2012 and am considering purchase of a Lumia 820/920 for my son. Not that I personally consider Lumia/win OS to be the best but I personally do not prefer:

1. The plastic look and curved shape of Samsung phones.
2. The Android OS
3. The aged interface of the Iphone (have a ipad 4 which has the same interface and it is becoming boring to me). I do not prefer to overpay for a phone and interface that looked the same some years ago too. Things have changed under the hood, mostly for the better, but I do not care.
In this of my earlier post, I complained about the constancy of the apple phone/ipad interface and how it has becoming boring. Well, recent news suggests that the interface may change in ios 7. More shocking is the report that ``... Another source framed the new OS as having a level of “flatness” approaching recent releases of Microsoft’s Windows Phone “Metro” UI."

Here is my source:

http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Appl...ticle31453.htm

The original source:
http://9to5mac.com/2013/04/29/jony-i...ook-for-ios-7/

Can we expect typical unique Apple's first of its kind innovation or will we see a patent war.

Last edited by vasudeva : 1st May 2013 at 16:37.
Old 1st May 2013, 23:42   #892
Team-BHP Support

Hey guys,

Of late I have observed that one of my 2 Gmail isn't being pushed to my phone. The email on the phone is set up to receive email "As items arrive" but I don't get emails that are on the server for hours.

When I manually sync, the mails show up on the phone.

I'm on HTC HD7, AT&T.

Any one facing this issue?

Funnily, Outlook sync and the other Gmail account are working just fine.
Old 2nd May 2013, 16:02   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I am using it since almost a week now.
Battery life is normal,lasts a day(24 hours) with 3G usage.
Hi Akshay,

Two -ve points in the online review about Lumia 520 are that - 1. the screen is not very readable in daylight. 2. the handset heats up with 3G data connection.

Whats your experience with these?
Old 3rd May 2013, 07:37   #894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Hi Akshay,

Two -ve points in the online review about Lumia 520 are that - 1. the screen is not very readable in daylight. 2. the handset heats up with 3G data connection.

Whats your experience with these?
Screen is pretty ok in Sunlight,not too bad i would say.
And yeah it heats up,but then many phones do.
Old 11th May 2013, 10:56   #895
BHPian

Is it worth to go for Nokia Lumia 720 shelling out Rs 15900 @ Home shop 18
Nokia Lumia 720 availabli for 13500
Old 11th May 2013, 11:15   #896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
Is it worth to go for Nokia Lumia 720 shelling out Rs 15900 @ Home shop 18
Nokia Lumia 720 availabli for 13500
720 for 13.5K??
where?
Old 13th May 2013, 12:45   #897
Senior - BHPian

Glossy white ? Or Matte Cyan ,Yellow , Red ? Which one's better ? Which one's better to handle ? Is glossy slippery ?
Old 14th May 2013, 13:55   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Glossy white ? Or Matte Cyan ,Yellow , Red ? Which one's better ? Which one's better to handle ? Is glossy slippery ?
I have white and its not slippery for me (depends on the hand, i think). Initially, I thought of not having any back cover, but within a couple of days of careful usage, i saw minor scratches at the back. Immediately, i went for a silicon back cover for it, which is pretty neat and fits perfectly for the 720. So I suggest matt finish colours if you do not like any covers or tend to have a rough usage.
Old 15th May 2013, 10:20   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I have white and its not slippery for me (depends on the hand, i think). Initially, I thought of not having any back cover, but within a couple of days of careful usage, i saw minor scratches at the back. Immediately, i went for a silicon back cover for it, which is pretty neat and fits perfectly for the 720. So I suggest matt finish colours if you do not like any covers or tend to have a rough usage.
I have the Red 720. The screen is kinda slippery, but not the back. I am still to find a good case for it. Any pointers?
Old 15th May 2013, 20:16   #900
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Hey guys,

Of late I have observed that one of my 2 Gmail isn't being pushed to my phone. The email on the phone is set up to receive email "As items arrive" but I don't get emails that are on the server for hours.

When I manually sync, the mails show up on the phone.

I'm on HTC HD7, AT&T.

Any one facing this issue?

Funnily, Outlook sync and the other Gmail account are working just fine.
Probably this is why.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/ho...-calendars-faq

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks