Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2013, 15:21   #946
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yeah, this is very common. Your PC or laptop needs to have wifi ability. Connectify is one of the most popular utility for this purpose. My kid's iPad (wifi only) and my phone gets Internet through my PC using this method.
You don't need any utility to achieve this. All you need to do is turn on internet sharing on the wired connection. Unless of course your system is running some sort of parental controls for your kid.

Edit: Or you can do it the geek way

Open the Command Prompt in Admin mode.
Type netsh wlan set hostednetwork ssid=anynameyouwant key=anypasswordyouwant and hit enter.
Type netsh wlan start hostednetwork and hit enter
Then go to your wired adapter settings and just enable sharing of the internet connection.

To stop the hostednetwork
Open the Command Prompt in Admin mode.
Type netsh wlan stop hostednetwork

When you do a wireless network scan on any device you will see a network called "anynameyouwant" with the security key set to "anypasswordyouwant".

Last edited by vikram_d : 29th May 2013 at 15:29.
Old 29th May 2013, 15:23   #947
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
You don't need any utility to achieve this. All you need to do is turn on internet sharing on the wired connection. Unless of course your system is running some sort of parental controls for your kid.
You mean ad hoc network?
Old 29th May 2013, 15:32   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean ad hoc network?
Yes a simple adhoc network. Works really well since you just want to share the internet connection.

Edit: And if you use the hosted network method above the PC will also take care of the DHCP needs. It will automatically assign IP address to devices that are connecting to that network.

Edit 2: The hosted network method also works with wireless internet connections. For eg. I have a Wifi internet connection to my PC and only one Wifi adapter in it. Using the hosted network method will enable a single physical adapter to manage both connections. You don't need 2 different adapter for this to work. Only one will do.

Last edited by vikram_d : 29th May 2013 at 15:36.
Old 29th May 2013, 15:37   #949
Team-BHP Support

I checked out the ad hoc network option back in 2010 when I got a iPhone 3GS. It wouldn't work with iPhone, so I had to download connectify instead.

Edit: I checked back, it was with Kindle, not iPhone 3GS.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2117173
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2118540

Last edited by Samurai : 29th May 2013 at 15:47.
Old 29th May 2013, 15:48   #950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I checked out the ad hoc network option back in 2010 when I got a iPhone 3GS. It wouldn't work with iPhone, so I had to download connectify instead.
In case you still have the 3GS lying around you can try the hosted network method that I mentioned above. That should work as it automatically assigns IP address to the clients using that network.
Old 29th May 2013, 15:50   #951
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In case you still have the 3GS lying around you can try the hosted network method that I mentioned above. That should work as it automatically assigns IP address to the clients using that network.
BTW, I just googled. It was a major problem prior to 2011. May be they fixed it later.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=ad...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 29th May 2013, 16:06   #952
Senior - BHPian

Seems like some sort of issue with only iPhones. I checked this method on my current WP8 phone and my old WinMo 6.5 phone and it worked with both.
Old 29th May 2013, 16:16   #953
Team-BHP Support

No, it was an issue with Kindle too. So I never bothered with ad hoc networks again.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=ad...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 29th May 2013, 16:18   #954
Senior - BHPian

Yeah I realized that after I looked at the search keywords that you had used.

Edit: The iPhone 3GS should work with the hosted network method as this method is not exactly an ad-hoc network. It is something called a SoftAP network.

Source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

Last edited by vikram_d : 29th May 2013 at 16:21.
Old 29th May 2013, 16:30   #955
Team-BHP Support

Thanks, if it is not ad hoc network, it might work. I'll check this out.
Old 30th May 2013, 15:07   #956
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Bought a 920 after much debating on if its worth taking a risk with Nokia. I can feel that the phone is heating up too much, not when i am doing multiple tasks, even when simple calling and especially when i answer a call when i am checking emails. Anyone who has faced this issue?
Old 30th May 2013, 15:27   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Bought a 920 after much debating on if its worth taking a risk with Nokia. I can feel that the phone is heating up too much, not when i am doing multiple tasks, even when simple calling and especially when i answer a call when i am checking emails. Anyone who has faced this issue?
This phone heats up during calls if the network connection is dodgy. Try switching band to 2G. For email, are you using WiFi or data connection? If data connection then same network signal issue could be causing it to heat up.
Old 30th May 2013, 19:15   #958
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This phone heats up during calls if the network connection is dodgy. Try switching band to 2G. For email, are you using WiFi or data connection? If data connection then same network signal issue could be causing it to heat up.
yes did that, its on 2G but even a simple operation like checking email and if a call comes in between, cannot hold it to my ear. Never felt this with the iphone 3gs. Went to Nokia care n they want to keep for a day under observation and they have no standby phone.
Old 30th May 2013, 19:56   #959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
yes did that, its on 2G but even a simple operation like checking email and if a call comes in between, cannot hold it to my ear. Never felt this with the iphone 3gs. Went to Nokia care n they want to keep for a day under observation and they have no standby phone.
Seems like a faulty phone then. Have you checked what apps you have running in the background? Badly coded background apps also cause this problem.
Old 30th May 2013, 20:03   #960
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seems like a faulty phone then. Have you checked what apps you have running in the background? Badly coded background apps also cause this problem.
I have checked that, no apps running. Just now did a wifi connect for 10 minutes and when it was charging. Answered a call and it was too much to keep it on my ear for even 30 seconds. I hope its a faulty motherboard and i get a replacement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks