Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2013, 22:04   #961
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
I have checked that, no apps running. Just now did a wifi connect for 10 minutes and when it was charging. Answered a call and it was too much to keep it on my ear for even 30 seconds. I hope its a faulty motherboard and i get a replacement.
No. Go to settings, swipe right or left and check under Background Tasks and disable all that you don't need.
Old 30th May 2013, 22:14   #962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
I have checked that, no apps running. Just now did a wifi connect for 10 minutes and when it was charging. Answered a call and it was too much to keep it on my ear for even 30 seconds. I hope its a faulty motherboard and i get a replacement.
check if the screen gets turned off when you put it to your ear.
Old 2nd June 2013, 14:20   #963
BHPian

I have a Lumia 720. After the screen is locked, If I get a message, The senders name and first line of the message is seen on the screen. How can I stop this?

Kiran
Old 2nd June 2013, 14:41   #964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
I have a Lumia 720. After the screen is locked, If I get a message, The senders name and first line of the message is seen on the screen. How can I stop this?
I don't think it is possible to stop the notification. But you can slide & close that message without unlocking the screen.

How is the battery life in 720?
Old 2nd June 2013, 14:56   #965
BHPian

I have just started using the phone and do not find any other issue other than this message problem. I dont want my colleagues to read the messages on the screen.

Battery Life is quite ok. I get about 2 days.

Kiran
Old 2nd June 2013, 23:44   #966
Senior - BHPian

Tried the MMI (MapMyIndia) app for WP7. This is by far the best navigation app available on Windows Phone.

Note: Didn't find Skype in India marketplace. I had to change my locale to US to install Skype. My hotmail account is set to UK. So the price for the apps in marketplace is shown on pounds. For some strange design by Microsoft, it can't be changed.
Old 3rd June 2013, 13:19   #967
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

My dad has been using a Lumia 710 for almost 1.5 yrs now. He is extremely satisfied with the phone. But lately his phone has started acting up quite funny. On normal useage he gets around 36 hrs of battery life. mix of all. calling, sms, whatsapp, all data useage on EDGE and uses wifi while in office etc.

But lately he has noticed that while on roaming his phone dies in < 14-15 hrs. He was in BBY 2 days a go and he left his hotel at 8:30 am with 100% charge and by 4 pm he was < 20%. Useage hasnt varied at all while there. Experienced similar thing when he was else where a week before. What could be the possible cause? I know it does sound a little odd. But this is what we have been experiencing lately.
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:44   #968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Tried the MMI (MapMyIndia) app for WP7. This is by far the best navigation app available on Windows Phone.

Note: Didn't find Skype in India marketplace. I had to change my locale to US to install Skype. My hotmail account is set to UK. So the price for the apps in marketplace is shown on pounds. For some strange design by Microsoft, it can't be changed.
Does MMI have offline navigation? Last time I tried it, it didn't. Maybe that's changed now.

Skype is very much available in the Indian store. My phone is set to India and I see the app.

Edit: Link to Skype in the India store - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-in/st...b-c0a3f4360a51

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

My dad has been using a Lumia 710 for almost 1.5 yrs now. He is extremely satisfied with the phone. But lately his phone has started acting up quite funny. On normal useage he gets around 36 hrs of battery life. mix of all. calling, sms, whatsapp, all data useage on EDGE and uses wifi while in office etc.

But lately he has noticed that while on roaming his phone dies in < 14-15 hrs. He was in BBY 2 days a go and he left his hotel at 8:30 am with 100% charge and by 4 pm he was < 20%. Useage hasnt varied at all while there. Experienced similar thing when he was else where a week before. What could be the possible cause? I know it does sound a little odd. But this is what we have been experiencing lately.
It might be network issues. Does this problem happen only when the phone is roaming or does it happen in the home network also?

If this problem is happening on the home network also then the battery may be on it's way out. You could try draining the battery completely to such an extent that the phone should not even switch on and then do a full charge in one go.

Last edited by vikram_d : 3rd June 2013 at 14:51.
Old 4th June 2013, 08:39   #969
BHPian

hi all,
Just got a Lumia 520 and loving it.
Having used IOS and Android for the last few years, it is a refreshing change.

Pros:
Smooth UI. Comparable to Apple phones.
Live tiles.
Inexpensive.
Super easy and smooth sync with exchange email
Good integration with facebook.

Cons:
No TeamBhp app.
No flash
(there are of course other cons, but they are not a concern to me - hence not listing them here)
Old 4th June 2013, 09:04   #970
BANNED

Hi all, I wanted to check if the latest crop of windows phones have an option to Supersize the fonts in places like SMS and phone book etc.
Old 4th June 2013, 09:21   #971
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Pros:
Smooth UI. Comparable to Apple phones.
Live tiles.
Inexpensive.
Good integration with facebook.
So looks like finally Windows phones are coming of age in terms of UI experience. For the price paid, one tends to get much better and smoother UI experience compared to the similarly spec'ed Androids.
Old 4th June 2013, 10:44   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Hi all, I wanted to check if the latest crop of windows phones have an option to Supersize the fonts in places like SMS and phone book etc.
I do not have Windows phone 8, but earlier version Lumia 800 (Win7.5) where this is a big issue. I tried Win8 phone in shops. You can not still zoom in phone book and sms, but you can change font size in settings which will be applicable to all apps. I found it sufficient for the need.

They should have provided this feature for older mobiles with 7.8 release. I do not think this is a hardware dependent feature. Probably they do not want too much of retrofitting of code in two codebases.
Old 4th June 2013, 12:03   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
In Windows Phone 8 you can and as pointed out you cannot in WP 7.5/7.8. The option is available under Settings > Ease of Access.
Old 4th June 2013, 13:18   #974
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post

In Windows Phone 8 you can and as pointed out you cannot in WP 7.5/7.8. The option is available under Settings > Ease of Access.
Thanks a lot.
That helps for people who need to wear reading glasses normally to even use their phones.
Old 4th June 2013, 13:23   #975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
deep_bang, how many exchange accounts do you have in your phone? Does it allow more than one account?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks