Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2013, 11:52   #991
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I know TBHP app doesn't exist on WP8, what other cons?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
3. TBHP missing. You are part of TBHP support right ? I am counting on you on this.
+1. Nice to see the mods thinking of WP. I hope we get a TBHP app soon.

Quote:
The Cons i have listed :
1. 512 MB RAM
2. Nokia HERE maps are no where close to google maps
3. TBHP missing. You are part of TBHP support right ? I am counting on you on this.
4. Youtube missing - I heard they are working on this.
5. Possibility of upgrades to newer Windows versions ??
6. Apps cant be stored on SD Card. With internal memory of 4-5GB, i hope this is not an issue

4. Microsoft launched a wonderful Youtube app and Google forced them to remove it. Not sure when the new app would come. link

6. Except for games, I haven't come across many apps that takes up huge storage. Media files can be stored on SD in case of WP8. So it shouldn't be an issue ideally. I've been using WP7 with 8GB memory and never came across space issues. (even without SD card)
Old 12th June 2013, 12:04   #992
BANNED

Quote:
I mean from an Android user perspective. Knowing I am a highly satisfied Defy user, many here would know what would be the cons for me.
Quote:

Ditto same query from me

I hear the camera is pretty good on this. Also i here RAM will be a bottleneck for a teenager who wants heavy gaming. For typical usage for those above 30, I hope its enough

The Cons i have listed :
1. 512 MB RAM
2. Nokia HERE maps are no where close to google maps
4. Youtube missing - I heard they are working on this.
5. Possibility of upgrades to newer Windows versions ??
6. Apps cant be stored on SD Card. With internal memory of 4-5GB, i hope this is not an issue

The positives:
1. Win8, I dont have to keep browsing new custom ROM and how to root my phone. UI is refreshing, clean.
2. Camera - I havent seen in real, but from the reviews, it appears good
3. Office suite - Supposed to be well integrated. perfect for work.

Other option i am considering currently is Sony Xperia L. Sony is claiming this to be a camera phone, but reviews are saying otherwise about the quality. which is a let down for me.

Let me know your decision. Both Xperia L and 720 are available for around 16K on ebay i guess.
The major negative to windows phone light now is simply the apps or rather the lack of it .
Many important apps are there, but many still aren't.
Coming to the lack of RAM, WP is a pretty light OS. Even the most high emd phones nave 1 GB Ram, look at android, there are ones with 2GB And there is still the occasional lag. The only downside to low RAM is that some games don't work with it. Also, keep in mind, WP games aren't still caught up to others(just like the apps). Eg: Real racing 3 is nowhere to be found.
As for Google Maps, I still dont fimd them to be reliable enough, at least in India, because they are onlynas reliable as the data connection it uses, which isn't that stable and not always available. I personally find offline maps to be much better alternative (Why Don't PND's use online maps?).
YouTube app isn't all that important because its mobile website is almost as good(infact, better than the app on some of my cheaper android phones) and WP8 has a pretty solid browser.
If you find that most of the apps you use are available on Windows Phone, the transition to it would be much easier.

But consider the fact that there would be no BP raising lags or slowdowns in the OS, the WP looks pretty enticing, especially at about the price range of 15k
Old 12th June 2013, 12:30   #993
BHPian

Quote:
I am again thinking about Lumia 720 as possible replacement for my merely aging Motorola Defy. I don't ever play games or video on my phone. So 512MB RAM shouldn't bother me. In 1989 I was using a PC with 256K RAM.

I heard that the battery life of 720 is truly phenomenal, any first hand experience among BHPians? I know TBHP app doesn't exist on WP8, what other cons?
Hi Samurai,

You won't find any cons on this phone if you aren't a gamer or an app tester. First this first, it's an utterly lag-free phone. I would rate it even better than iPhone IMO.

About the phone, well, it has been 3 weeks that I got my 720 and my usage is 1.5 hrs of calling and receiving, 5-6 sms, 5 mins of whatsapp, 15 mins of reading and replying to emails, 3-4 snaps from its mind-blowing camera and listening to music for 10-20 mins if I've no company for my smoke break. I even play a couple of games on it for about 10-15 mins (Dredd Vs. Zombies & Angry birds). After doing all this I get battery back-up of 36 hours before the battery saver alerts me (and this too goes on for 6-8 hours). I'm yet to use the Here Maps which I will shortly on my trip to Coonoor. I bought it for 15.8K from homeshop18 Superdeals. And I must say the white one is awesome, but slightly slippery. Go to a nearest store and hold it in your hand.
Old 12th June 2013, 12:52   #994
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for all the quick feedback guys. Looks like it is a great upgrade, the only downside is lack of TBHP app. Wish the mobile version of the forum was still available. Me buying 720 won't increase the chance of a TBHP app, it will depend on the market share of WP8 phones. Let's hope it grows fast.

Couple more things: Can I create a wifi hotspot? How about a torch app?
Old 12th June 2013, 12:57   #995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Couple more things: Can I create a wifi hotspot? How about a torch app?
Yes you can create a WiFi hot spot and there are tons of Torch apps in the Store.
Old 12th June 2013, 13:16   #996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the only downside is lack of TBHP app. Wish the mobile version of the forum was still available.
IE on WP is pretty good and supports most websites in the original form. You can load the desktop version of tbhp in WP8's IE browser using IE settings (website preference) set to desktop version.
Old 12th June 2013, 13:34   #997
Team-BHP Support

Actually, if you change the TBHP skin to BHP mobile, then it is mostly readable.
Old 12th June 2013, 14:29   #998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, if you change the TBHP skin to BHP mobile, then it is mostly readable.
The BHP Mobile skin is pretty much readable. I use that most times on my LG Optimus even though there is a dedicated tbhp app. I dont know if its just my phone but i find the app quite slow compared to mobile skin opened in Opera Mini. The readability is quite good. It has its limitations ofcourse like uploading pics etc.

Dad uses a Lumia 710 running WP 7.8 and i just checked how good / bad is the BHP Mobile. pretty decent i must say.

The Windows Phone Thread-20130612142326.jpg

The Windows Phone Thread-20130612142408.jpg

@Samurai, i would say take the plunge for Lumia 720. its a pretty neat phone and the battery on it is excellent. I am trying to convince dad to upgrade from 710 to 720, but 720 is BIG for his liking and hence he is not agreeing.

Regards,
Old 12th June 2013, 14:59   #999
BHPian

Quote:
I mean from an Android user perspective. Knowing I am a highly satisfied Defy user, many here would know what would be the cons for me.
After a month of using my Lumia 520, here are the pros and cons (I had a rooted LG Optimus with Android before):

Pros:
1. First and foremost, the UI is refreshing, and never till now has it slowed down.

2. Apps fit well in 512Meg - I use email heavily, and this works like a gem with Exchange.

3. Looks are good.

Cons:
(although the cons are more here, the intent is to explain situations which do not work well - in all ways I am satisfied with the phone).
1. The email shows read/unread mails in different colors. The problem is, the color choice is what you select for the theme - which is for the whole phone including the home screen.
I am hoping the email app allows a separate color for unread mails in future releases.

2. App availability is low.
TBHP is unavailable. I used to use an app for WesternDigital player and that's unavailable. I don't care about games anyway.

3. Navigation
Although GOogle Maps are not officially available, Gmaps works well. It does do routing and shows the route as you drive. However, there are no turn by turn voice directions - which is no big deal.

It is no as polished as the real Google Maps. For example, it shows the route, but does not show the "km remaining" nor the "time remaining". I would have also liked the distance to the next turn which is missing.
In short, its an app that works, but not even comparable to the real GoogleMaps on ANdroid.

4. Messaging Apps
I only tried Viber, and it just does not seem to work well. I don't get any notification at all until I actually open the app, and then the app seems to get the messages and show.
Old 12th June 2013, 16:02   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post

4. Messaging Apps
I only tried Viber, and it just does not seem to work well. I don't get any notification at all until I actually open the app, and then the app seems to get the messages and show.
I believe there are some serious issues with Viber as well as Whatsapp which should get resolved with updates.

In my case:
1. Viber sometimes doesn't show anyone in my contact list! I have to exit and return.
2. Whatsapp sometimes shows incomplete message. This happens mostly with extremely long "jokes" - so, frankly speaking I don't have issues missing such messages ...
3. Deleting a message hid an entire thread (as if the thread was deleted)! But sending a new message made the thread appear once again!
Old 12th June 2013, 16:11   #1001
BHPian

Quote:
3. Navigation
Although GOogle Maps are not officially available, Gmaps works well. It does do routing and shows the route as you drive. However, there are no turn by turn voice directions - which is no big deal.
I was on the verge of purchasing a Lumia (variant not decided yet) primarily to use the navigation basis the fact that Nokia batteries are stronger and last long on a single charge. But, here I see that most of the guys are not happy with the in built mapp app (Nokia HERE or whatever) and as mentioned above, it seems that Google maps are not available. But, the app store does show the Google map app complete with offline navigation. (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-in/st...d-d980a3927148) Is it the real one or something else? Or am I missing something altogether? Or shall I stay put with my Android powered Xperia considering my navigation needs?

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 12th June 2013 at 16:12.
Old 12th June 2013, 18:00   #1002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
I was on the verge of purchasing a Lumia (variant not decided yet) primarily to use the navigation basis the fact that Nokia batteries are stronger and last long on a single charge. But, here I see that most of the guys are not happy with the in built mapp app (Nokia HERE or whatever) and as mentioned above, it seems that Google maps are not available. But, the app store does show the Google map app complete with offline navigation. (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-in/st...d-d980a3927148) Is it the real one or something else? Or am I missing something altogether? Or shall I stay put with my Android powered Xperia considering my navigation needs?
The main issue with HERE maps is the fact that Nokia is not interested in MARKING the places. The roads are there, pretty accurate. But the places are not marked.
Say you want to go to India gate, Delhi. Some idiot at Nokia would've marked that place as Gateway of India.
Some other place wouldn't even be marked on the map altogether (say Parliament). Somehow folks at Google maps appear to be more sensible and more hard working in getting the places marked.

Towns, villages, Highways, cities, petrol pumps, ATMs, Hospitals, auto workshop/mechanic/tyrewalla are there. Which is helpful during drives. The data is in phone about 600MB for India. The bold ones appear in blue, and are not searchable - they are just shown on the map

I have not seen the above (bold) in Google maps as such.

As a side note, switching on HERE Drive while on Air Flight is a real fun!

I know this has not resolved your dichotomy.
If you intend to use maps to "Find places" - google is better (while the signal lasts).
If you intend to use map to "drive to a place" - here map is better.

Last edited by alpha1 : 12th June 2013 at 18:02.
Old 12th June 2013, 20:40   #1003
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Dad uses a Lumia 710 running WP 7.8 and i just checked how good / bad is the BHP Mobile. pretty decent i must say.
Thanks, that was really helpful. Arigato Gozai masta!

Quote:
After a month of using my Lumia 520, here are the pros and cons (I had a rooted LG Optimus with Android before):
Thanks, answers many of my questions.

Of course, I have Android friends who are hammering at me to stay within the family.
Old 13th June 2013, 17:07   #1004
BHPian

I am using 720 for a month now and I echo most of the comments here about 720 and WP8 in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
IE on WP is pretty good and supports most websites in the original form. You can load the desktop version of tbhp in WP8's IE browser using IE settings (website preference) set to desktop version.
IE is one of the best thing in WP8, till you hit a stumbling block - upload a picture/file from a browser form. This is the reason you need a dedicated app for any site. Does any other browser support file upload? Hope someone writes a WP8 for TBhp soon.. ( I can volunteer to do some coding if someone is planning/doing some efforts in this direction..)

The mobile theme of TBhp looks too basic on the large screen, though it was fantastic on my Nokia e71.
Old 13th June 2013, 20:12   #1005
BANNED

There's a Lumia in the house!!

Got the 620 for mom, she and dad were very interested in the 520 after seeing its lucrative price tag, but I put some wisdom in. The more pocketable 620 was finally chosen. This is one slick phone.

Most Viewed