Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2013, 14:35   #1066
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyan_k10 View Post
File manager in android is very much accessible. So no issues AFAIK. Correct me if I am wrong.
If I remember correctly it's not possible even in Android. I tried Android on my old phone and even there you could not upload stuff through the browser. But with the kind of developer support Android has things may have changed now as my last experience with Android was about 1.5 years back.
Old 26th July 2013, 15:26   #1067
BHPian

Opera Mini lets that happen on humble Java phones. As far as I have heard from users, it's the same in androids as well. Bhpians who use Opera Mini might be able to shed some light.
Old 26th July 2013, 15:40   #1068
BANNED

Quote:
File manager in android is very much accessible.
By default, it doesn't allow me to - it only allows me to upload files from Dropbox or my gallery or something like that. That's because Android doesn't come with a File Manager by default. However, you can install something like ES File Explorer to browse the file system. And installing this automatically connects the explorer to the browser. And now other than Dropbox, Gallery etc, it also shows me the option for uploading a file through ES File Explorer.

There may be similar file explorers available for Windows and they will probably hookup with the browser for uploading files.

Quote:
Opera Mini lets that happen on humble Java phones.
Opera Mini on Android allows me only to upload files from the SD card - with or without an external fine explorer installed on the system.

Last edited by carboy : 26th July 2013 at 15:42.
Old 26th July 2013, 16:02   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
There may be similar file explorers available for Windows and they will probably hookup with the browser for uploading files.
There are no file explorers available for windows phone as the file system is locked down and there is no direct access to it. You can access various file types only through their respective apps.
Old 26th July 2013, 16:55   #1070
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
There are no file explorers available for windows phone as the file system is locked down and there is no direct access to it. You can access various file types only through their respective apps.
So what happens on a windows phone when you go to a webpage with a upload file link - say for example - http://www.onlineocr.net/
What happens if you click on the browse button
Old 26th July 2013, 16:58   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
So what happens on a windows phone when you go to a webpage with a upload file link - say for example - http://www.onlineocr.net/
What happens if you click on the browse button
Nothing happens. It just sits there.

There is one option you can try though. You can upload the file to be shared to Skydrive and upload the document by sharing it's URL. One problem with this is that you will need to place the document in the Public folder and after your work is done, you will need to remember to delete it if it contains data that you do not want to be shared.

Edit: I just noticed that you cannot upload documents through URLs on the website that you have mentioned. :(

Last edited by vikram_d : 26th July 2013 at 17:03.
Old 26th July 2013, 18:03   #1072
BHPian

Yes that is what I was trying to explain. You can by no means access your gallery on a Windows phone, no dropboxes nothing. But in android via Opera Mini, you can upload files from your SD card. We don't have any explorers in the Windows market now, and I highly doubt it will be ever available. When we can access our gallery in android, I don't see any reason for not being able to upload files.
Old 28th July 2013, 20:18   #1073
BHPian

All,

One of my biggest grouse on wp8 was the Here maps as it hardly has the POI's like google maps. I liked gmaps but it has it own problems like no voice navigation, does not zoom in and zoom out as per speed, does not show the distance for the next turning etc. still it was the best available when I bought the phone a few months ago and it did get the work done!

Now I came across a new app called google maps which is still not the official google maps, but what is interesting is that it can search POI's from the google database. Well, this is nothing that useful as gmaps already does that, but what this app does is you can click navigate and it allows you to navigate via HERE maps which suddenly combines the power of google map POI's with the fairly decent HERE maps.

I still can't comments the accuracy of HERE maps yet, compared to google but seems to be pretty decent Atleast within Bangalore....
Old 29th July 2013, 07:15   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Use the City Lens app to find POIs and then navigate using Here Drive. Works well.
Old 30th July 2013, 20:32   #1075
BHPian

Nokia Lumia 1020 41MP Pureview Tech Demystified

Here is an article which explains the whopping 41MP Pureview tech in simple language.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-6454_7-...-1020s-camera/

Though I dont have the DSLR beating 41MP BSI sensor and the 6 element lens in my Lumia 920, the Pureview tech alone delivers superb low-light images in my phone.
Old 30th July 2013, 20:44   #1076
Senior - BHPian

re: Nokia Lumia 1020 41MP Pureview Tech Demystified

1020 is an R&D phone, rather than a phone designed by marketing. Somebody opened 1020 and here is what they saw inside, a pure technical overview - http://www.theregister.co.uk/Print/2...l_walkthrough/

What would be the size of the image at full resolution?
Old 31st July 2013, 11:25   #1077
Senior - BHPian

I wish Nokia will launch products in India rather than announce them. Considering that India is one of their biggest markets, this is unpardonable.

On 41MP, I wish they would cut out the 41MP and give me a cheaper phone. Time flows in one direction only (???) and I would not be bothered to shoot my photos on a smartphone.
Old 31st July 2013, 14:37   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
1020 is an R&D phone, rather than a phone designed by marketing. Somebody opened 1020 and here is what they saw inside, a pure technical overview - http://www.theregister.co.uk/Print/2...l_walkthrough/

What would be the size of the image at full resolution?
Atleast Nokia should be applauded for stufiing all those hardware into that frame. I am guessing the full resolution size to similar to the RAW images that ur digicam/midrange DSLR takes. Experts pls comment. There is again the option of having just the 5MP photos too. Good thing it has 32GB inbuilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I wish Nokia will launch products in India rather than announce them. Considering that India is one of their biggest markets, this is unpardonable.

On 41MP, I wish they would cut out the 41MP and give me a cheaper phone. Time flows in one direction only (???) and I would not be bothered to shoot my photos on a smartphone.
Hmm I am not sure what you are referring to here. Nokia has almost the entire Lumia range in India starting at a price point of 10k all the way upto 30k+. The lumia 520,620,720,820 and 920 are here already. Only the recently launched 925,625 and 1020 is yet to reach here (928 is similar to 920 and is USA carrier exclusive). I am sure they will come in sooner than later.

If u do not wish to have 41MP cam why dont you have a look at the other ones?
920-8.7MP
820-8MP
720-6.1MP
620-5MP
520-5MP

And all cameras are near best in their respective categories.
Old 31st July 2013, 15:02   #1079
Senior - BHPian

The end statement

"This is the kind of thing for which you need really resourceful and exacting hardware and software engineers – graphic designers don’t cut it – and Nokia's stuff isn’t copied easily. ®"

is priceless hitting two at once!
Old 31st July 2013, 15:20   #1080
BHPian

The review for the Lumia 1020 at theregister.co.uk was the only one that I found to be really unbaised and focusing on the actual engineering capabilities of the phone.

41mp is just the sensor. One has the option of saving the full resolution or 5mp pics or both. Also, as many different companies have pointed out at many a times in the past "megapixels do not matter"...true what matters is how those 'megapixels' are used. In the Lumia 1020 I see the best use of camera tech in a phone till date.

Wishlist over and above the current Lumia 1020lease:
  • Waterproof to survive a splash or a fall in a bucket
  • Longer battery life
  • A more comprehensive application database...
peace,
~kg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks