Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 16:53   #1201
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

The default Nokia SMS tone has changed after the amber update on my Lumia 520,and it sucks.Anyone else noticed this?
Earlier it used to be two long beeps,not its like two irritating short beeps.
Old 25th September 2013, 18:12   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Guys, i have a question. When I try to see older messages on Whatsapp, I am not able to go beyond 200 something messages. After scrolling back till that point, the phone automatically goes back to Home screen. Has anyone faced this issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
I've faced that! Seems new after the last update. I remember going to almost weeks back in a conversation. A bug I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
This is a known Whatsapp bug.
Thanks guys. I know I am not alone. But I think it is a Windows bug, because I am facing this issue right from the day I switched over to Windows from Android on the 2nd of this month. Till 1st, my android did not pose this problem.
Old 26th September 2013, 10:13   #1203
Senior - BHPian

I like the Amber update. WhatsApp never used to work properly in my data plan previously. It was alright with wifi though. And my 720 never used to pick up the latest Bing wallpaper by default. Amber has fixed all that. Also, the radio works well.

And, I really like the glance feature. Think its new with Amber. Wave your hand over the phone to show the time when locked. Its cool.

Now, if WhatsApp can introduce a version for Windows, that will be great. I miss the rich WhatsApp experience with Droid.
Old 26th September 2013, 11:22   #1204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
The default Nokia SMS tone has changed after the amber update on my Lumia 520,and it sucks.Anyone else noticed this?
Earlier it used to be two long beeps,not its like two irritating short beeps.
Strange in my case it's the same ... !
I didn't hear any difference in ringtones or alerts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I like the Amber update. WhatsApp never used to work properly in my data plan previously. It was alright with wifi though. And my 720 never used to pick up the latest Bing wallpaper by default. Amber has fixed all that. Also, the radio works well.

And, I really like the glance feature. Think its new with Amber. Wave your hand over the phone to show the time when locked. Its cool.

Now, if WhatsApp can introduce a version for Windows, that will be great. I miss the rich WhatsApp experience with Droid.
I didn't understand this, how exactly would the phone respond if the screen is black. If you are talking about the lock screen - then as far as I remember the time and date was always present during the lock screen. I remember pressing the middle button just to wake the phone's screen up to check the date/time.
But I didn't have to unlock it ever.

Also does anyone have any idea - WHEN Nokia will roll out the "FIND MY PHONE" feature in India?
Old 26th September 2013, 11:34   #1205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Strange in my case it's the same ... !
I didn't hear any difference in ringtones or alerts

I didn't understand this, how exactly would the phone respond if the screen is black.
This is the 'peek' setting of glance feature. The proximity sensor is always on while on this setting, to sense the hand movement. Otherwise this sensor is only enabled during a call, to disable the touch and display while the phone is close to the ears.

While in the 'peek' setting, I can see a slight glow of the proximity sensor next to the front camera of my 720.

Edit : the proximity sensor is not always ON, but only while the screen is locked.

Last edited by bejoy : 26th September 2013 at 11:37. Reason: added info.
Old 28th September 2013, 12:36   #1206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am currently using a Samsung galaxy s2 and need to buy a new smartphone now.
Now was just surfing and came across the Nokia Lumia 925.
I own a Galaxy S2 and a Lumia 520. I can tell you that, however 'fluid' the Windows interface is, it lack apps and the freedom that Android platform provides. I used the 520 for a week and went back to the S2.

If you want a change, better install CyanogenMod. Your phone will become much faster, not to mention, the improved battery life.
Old 28th September 2013, 18:25   #1207
mxx
BHPian

Is CardDAV support introduced in the new update?
Old 30th September 2013, 13:39   #1208
Senior - BHPian

Hello Folks!

My wife is planning to upgrade to HTC 8X from Samsumng Omnia W, had a few queries, appreciate the advice:
> How to ensure all the accounts (fb,gmail,yahoo) are completely deleted while exchanging the phone
> Can the earlier windows live account be used with a new device? if yes, then can all the data from old phone be synced via zune to the new one?
Old 30th September 2013, 14:42   #1209
BHPian

What are the Options for updating to Amber. Don't have Wifi Now and Looking at other ways. NSU is One But that downloads US version .

Strangely enough, My laptop is acting as wifi hot spot. where as All Androids can connect and work normally, LUMIA 520 doesn't think same way and Is not showing that as Wifi spot.
Old 30th September 2013, 16:27   #1210
BHPian

Anyone got the Amber update on the Lumia 620?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Hello Folks!

My wife is planning to upgrade to HTC 8X from Samsumng Omnia W, had a few queries, appreciate the advice:
> How to ensure all the accounts (fb,gmail,yahoo) are completely deleted while exchanging the phone
> Can the earlier windows live account be used with a new device? if yes, then can all the data from old phone be synced via zune to the new one?
> Remove the accounts from the phone, also do a factory reset. This takes care of it, in Windows!
> YES. Zune is not ( no longer ) required, also, please consider the Nokias instead of the HTC, better built, better support, better customized apps.
Once you add an account ( live/outlook/facebook/google/twitter) there is an option to sync contacts as well!

I think the Lumias' have the best contact sync options ( including transferring from iphones over bluetooth)
Old 30th September 2013, 16:53   #1211
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
> YES. Zune is not ( no longer ) required, also, please consider the Nokias instead of the HTC, better built, better support, better customized apps.
I don't have any idea about HTC support, but Nokia's customer service was never anything to brag about. It was OK - never as good as Samsung or LG.

Also the HTC model seems to have Gorilla Glass while a Lumia in the similar range doesn't have Gorilla Glass.
Old 30th September 2013, 16:56   #1212
BHPian

@carboy - My point is around the build quality of the phone. The support is software support - the custom apps and overall packaging of windows 8 on nokia is way better. Umpteen posts and reviews on the net...
Old 30th September 2013, 17:01   #1213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks!

Q1. Best bet might be factory reset option in settings
Q2. Yes, you can use the same live id on the new phone (you can use the same id in upto 5 phones) but Zune is only for WP7. For WP8, its a different app and you'll need to sync the pictures, music, videos etc manually.

Best way for restoring the apps is to use the purchase history section after linking your new phone in the windowsphone.com site. You can see the list of apps you have already downloaded and it has an install button that would trigger the install of that particular app to the new phone. If there is any data that is stored within the app in your WP7, you would not get it unless the app has server storage. So remember to back it up before you do the reset.
Old 30th September 2013, 17:18   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Q2. Yes, you can use the same live id on the new phone (you can use the same id in upto 5 phones) but Zune is only for WP7. For WP8, its a different app and you'll need to sync the pictures, music, videos etc manually.
App data was very minimal as she did not use many. Main concern is that the transition from 7 to 8 should be as smooth as possible! Will try the steps mentioned. Thank you!

Quote:
YES. Zune is not ( no longer ) required, also, please consider the Nokias instead of the HTC, better built, better support, better customized apps.
Once you add an account ( live/outlook/facebook/google/twitter) there is an option to sync contacts as well!

I think the Lumias' have the best contact sync options ( including transferring from iphones over bluetooth)
Thanks for the info Abhishek, she actually liked the build quality of the HTC, havn't seen the similar range Lumia, will check it out.
Old 30th September 2013, 17:31   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info Abhishek, she actually liked the build quality of the HTC, havn't seen the similar range Lumia, will check it out.
Do consider Lumia 920. I'm not sure about the current rates, but if the difference is not much, I would recommend it over 8X.

Quote:
@carboy - My point is around the build quality of the phone. The support is software support - the custom apps and overall packaging of windows 8 on nokia is way better. Umpteen posts and reviews on the net...
I currently use an 8X and I'm really impressed with its build quality - its among the best I've seen so far. I would put it above Lumia 820 and almost on par with 920.

I do agree that in terms of support and OEM apps, Nokia wins hands down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks