Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2013, 19:16   #1216
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
The default Nokia SMS tone has changed after the amber update on my Lumia 520,and it sucks.Anyone else noticed this?
Earlier it used to be two long beeps,not its like two irritating short beeps.
I was wrong in my earlier post.
There was an update on my phone but its not Amber. (!)
My wife has the Amber update so yes you are right, the new SMS tone absolutely sucks, and carries no authority.

I noticed something extremely funny.
I purchased a 520 in April/May. My wife purchased 520 in July/August.
Now she has not got the update that gives you [a][b][c] app ... selection option, whereas my phone received it a few weeks after the purchase.

A week or so back, both of us got a notification of update.
She got the Amber update (but her phone still does not have the letter selection!)
I did not get the Amber update!!! (then what was that update all about?)

Why is Windows OS so weird?

Last edited by alpha1 : 30th September 2013 at 19:17.
Old 30th September 2013, 19:41   #1217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

Now she has not got the update that gives you [a][b][c] app ... selection option, whereas my phone received it a few weeks after the purchase.
Its been there since WP7 days. If your wife has not installed enough applications, it is by design that she does not get the [a][b][c] option. It comes only if the number of apps in the list is more than a certain number (IIRC, it used to be 44 or so in wp7 days)

This is done to ensure that the letter based indexing does not add to additional lines unnecessarily if the app list is small.
Old 1st October 2013, 07:59   #1218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was wrong in my earlier post.
There was an update on my phone but its not Amber. (!)
My wife has the Amber update so yes you are right, the new SMS tone absolutely sucks, and carries no authority.

A week or so back, both of us got a notification of update.
She got the Amber update (but her phone still does not have the letter selection!)
I did not get the Amber update!!! (then what was that update all about?)

Why is Windows OS so weird?
The A/B/C comes up only when you surpass a certain number of applications.
Btw any clue as to how do we fix the irritating tone?
Old 1st October 2013, 10:30   #1219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Its been there since WP7 days. If your wife has not installed enough applications, it is by design that she does not get the [a][b][c] option. It comes only if the number of apps in the list is more than a certain number (IIRC, it used to be 44 or so in wp7 days)

This is done to ensure that the letter based indexing does not add to additional lines unnecessarily if the app list is small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
The A/B/C comes up only when you surpass a certain number of applications.
Btw any clue as to how do we fix the irritating tone?
The way to fix the irritating tone is to change it to something else

But what about the fact that I've had two updates but no Amber till now, while my wife who bought the phone a good 1-2 months later has only one update and that update = Amber.
Old 1st October 2013, 11:04   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The way to fix the irritating tone is to change it to something else

But what about the fact that I've had two updates but no Amber till now, while my wife who bought the phone a good 1-2 months later has only one update and that update Amber.
From what I know, they release the updates in a staggered manner (loosely based on the region, carriers, current OS/FW version numbers, liveid etc) to ensure the load on their update servers are evenly spread out. It might need more testing with older Nokia phones for upgrade from each older version number for OS/FW/...

They might find some issues with upgrading from certain versions and they might be working on a fix that would help upgrade without any issues before they make update available for those versions.

From what I've heard, Nokia Care can update the phone even if you have not received the notification. So worst case, you can take your phone to them and they might update it for you if it eludes you for a longer time.
Old 4th October 2013, 09:49   #1221
Senior - BHPian

Lumia 720 users. Hows the device over all? Hows the UI? Apps? Battery life? Hows skype video calling? I do use skype or hangout once in a while.

I am currently using a BB and have a LG optimus 4x. But i was fed with battery issues etc on the droid and hence packed it away and also listed it for sale on olx and tbhp.

Yesterday i have been offered a 25 day old nokia lumia 720. With bill and warranty as a straight exchange for my LG. Is it worth it? The Lumia was purchased from FK and the person who bought it is missing android and wishes to switch back.

I am aware that windows app store is ltd compared to ios or droid. But afaik, most imp apps are there and it is improving.

I am quite a ltd user. Calls, sms, whatsapp, emails, basic browsing that too mainly reading up tbhp, engadget, ndtv etc.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 4th October 2013 at 09:50.
Old 4th October 2013, 11:03   #1222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Lumia 720 users. Hows the device over all? Hows the UI? Apps? Battery life? Hows skype video calling? I do use skype or hangout once in a while. I am quite a ltd user. Calls, sms, whatsapp, emails, basic browsing that too mainly reading up tbhp, engadget, ndtv etc,
So I have been using the 720 for just over 3 months, my wife and I both moved from BB to 720s.
Similar usage, calls, SMS,whatsapp and emails and basic browsing.
The Ui is extremely intuitive and very simple. All apps on one screen and frequently used ones can be moved to home screen. Everything sorted very logically so you know what to find where.
Touch is brilliant, free music store from nokia has made me start downloading songs , something I was never really into on phones.
Battery life is excellent, with 30 mins or so whatsapp, 4 email accounts, 60 mins or so of calls and some games and music it easily lasts throughout the day.
With ie and ms office browsing, checking attachments is a breeze. Memory is expandable to 64gb, batt. Is fixed though.
Have had to reboot a couple of times in the last 3 months as it froze but not once since Amber update, which adds radio to it too.
All in all it's a lovely phone, apart from my wife and I, have at least 3 720s in the friend circle and everyone is pretty happy with the device.
Old 4th October 2013, 12:19   #1223
Team-BHP Support

Got the Lumia 625 yesterday, and overall I am quite impressed with the phone. The screen size is decent, touchscreen sensitivity is nice, and all the basic apps like Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter etc. works well. Overall the phone feels really nice compared to the old HTC HD7 (WP 7.8). The key reason for going with this model was the availability of 4G. This probably is the cheapest 4G model available in the market now (in Singapore).
Old 5th October 2013, 09:57   #1224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
All in all it's a lovely phone, apart from my wife and I, have at least 3 720s in the friend circle and everyone is pretty happy with the device.
+ 1

Its a great phone. Been using it for 2 months now. Had some issues with WhatsApp earlier but Amber upgrade has fixed it. I love the hardware design and build of the 720. W8 UI is lovely as well.

The main problem is that one should be careful while handling it. Have seen 2 phones now with broken screens after a hard fall. Btw, Here maps suck at least in KL.
Old 5th October 2013, 16:57   #1225
BHPian

Same here in Bhubaneswar, here maps sucks.
Old 5th October 2013, 17:33   #1226
Senior - BHPian

Anyone knows how I can browse through the SD card (or even the Phone card) using some file explorer? The Lumia 520 does not seem to have a file explorer built in.
Old 5th October 2013, 18:00   #1227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Have had to reboot a couple of times in the last 3 months as it froze but not once since Amber update, which adds radio to it too.
Glad to hear that Amber has fixed the occasional freeze.

+1 to the general sentiment about the phone, sammyboy's Lumia 720 is what made me buy one too. In all, a fantastic phone, my brother and an uncle have since got a 720 seeing mine.
Old 5th October 2013, 19:31   #1228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Anyone knows how I can browse through the SD card (or even the Phone card) using some file explorer? The Lumia 520 does not seem to have a file explorer built in.
For that Matter , None of Lumia has file explorer . You cannot browse through SD card .
Old 5th October 2013, 20:07   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
For that Matter , None of Lumia has file explorer . You cannot browse through SD card .
Ah, now I know why Nokia is doomed and why Microsoft cannot sell great phones. I was seriously considering the Lumia series because I still trust the build quality of the Nokias and Win 8 does seem promising. But now it's strictly Android for me.

Last edited by honeybee : 5th October 2013 at 20:11.
Old 5th October 2013, 22:04   #1230
Team-BHP Support

I have been using the Lumia 920 since the launch day (Jan 16th). A friend got himself the 925 a week back which is a lot more lighter in comparison and the Alu. wrapped construction looks better compared to the polycarbonate build of the 920. The display is a major downer though due to the AMOLED screen - tilt the display and the colors are completely washed!

Granted, the WP8 platform is still in its infancy but the updates to the OS (Amber recently) and the frequent app. updates are improving the overall experience. There have been some very minor quirks when the phone became irresponsive during a couple of occasions and I had to do a soft reset to bring back the phone.

A lot of users have been complaining of the missing file explorer. I believe a vast majority of those are from the Android camp who were looking to migrate to this platform for a change. Honestly, I never felt the need to have one although sometimes I wish I could just browse to that folder like we do in our PC and delete the files. But it could be done through the respective application. Deleting snaps/cam. videos could be done from the folders within the albums, music and other video contents could be deleted from the Music + Videos app. MS Office documents such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint files could be deleted from the Office app. All these content could also be shared directly from their respective locations over mail, MMS, NFC (via Bluetooth), WhatsApp and other social media such as Facebook and Twitter. Where else could the file explorer come handy?

FWIW, there is a feature suggestion request here which has gained a large number of votes - Add File Manager to Windows Phone

One major gripe I am facing right now is I cannot find where the PDF files are stored withint the device! When a Lumia device is connected to a PC, the phone's file structure could easily be browsed. Documents, Music, Pictures, Ringtones and Videos are the only folders within which all the contents are stored. The Music folder has a few hidden folders which is best not messed with!

Another one being Google being impartial to MS for application support. Classic instance - the YouTube app. We had a good YouTube app. before which would make the Android app. shy in terms of the functionality it had offered but Google later blocked the app. conveniently asking MS to shift their app. to HTML5 coding language when both the Android as well as iOS Youtube apps weren't built on HTML5! And that app was pulled down later. There are few good alternatives (Metrotube) but nothing close to the original YouTube app. We will perhaps never get the Chrome browser either. The Internet Explorer 10 on the device isn't bad but if the Chrome or an alternative browser such as Opera made it to the WP device, it would kick IE10 out of the scene!

There is no separate volume controls for the device (ringtone volume) and the media player. If we change the volume using the rockers on the device, it changes the volume for all the applications simultaneously. This is something that these guys have seriously overlooked. I thought the Amber update could address this issue but it didn't.

Here's another one - There's no way we could close the apps. from the multi-tasking screen. We have to press the back button indefinitely until all the apps. shuts down when the multi-tasking screen (similar to the ones we have in Android) would have made it much simpler for the user.

Other than these, this is definitely a promising OS which has a lot of potential. Just that the app. support is a lot less compared to iOS and Android right now and the developers may not want to risk their efforts to see if it pays off later. Will have to wait and watch what MS' acquisition of Nokia would mean for the Lumia and the entry level Nokia devices.

I bought this app. called TV Show a few days back from the store. I was using the trial version for a couple of months and unlocked the full version recently (to get rid of the ads and unlock the additional options) given the functionality of the app. to track the shows being aired/backlogged. It costs just Rs. 70. A very good app. for TV serial addicts, more so if you keep shuttling between several shows. The app. has a live tile which nicely displays what episode is coming up, when it is going to be aired in the US, how many episodes remain to be watched in total etc.

Few screenshots from the device just to give you guys an idea of what to expect from it:

Name:  wp_ss_20131005_0001.png
Views: 590
Size:  394.1 KB Name:  wp_ss_20131005_0002.png
Views: 585
Size:  455.3 KB

Name:  wp_ss_20131005_0003.png
Views: 569
Size:  464.5 KB Name:  wp_ss_20131005_0004.png
Views: 615
Size:  493.5 KB

Name:  wp_ss_20131005_0005.png
Views: 573
Size:  467.2 KB Name:  wp_ss_20131005_0006.png
Views: 556
Size:  387.0 KB

Name:  wp_ss_20131005_0007.png
Views: 562
Size:  358.4 KB Name:  wp_ss_20131005_0008.png
Views: 557
Size:  211.8 KB

We tried doing some file transfers using NFC (920-925) and it worked flawlessly. Enable tap+send and Bluetooth (NFC requires a medium to transfer the contents between devices). Long press a snap, document or any file you intend to share and click on share using 'tap+send' and touch the back of the two devices and it would transfer the files. In Bluetooth, one would need to pair the devices. There's no need of that here.

It would be good if we have some cheap NFC tags here. We could program each tag in a way that we could gently tap the device on the tag and it would enable a set of features. For instance, while getting into the car to drive, a tag could be programmed to pair the device with the car's HU using Bluetooth or a BT headset. At home, a tag could be programmed to connect the device to the home's WiFi connection and turn off 3G/4G.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th October 2013 at 22:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks