Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2013, 19:01   #1261
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

4G/LTE is still a little way off in India. At present I guess only two telecom providers are testing waters with 4G, and it's only in select cities (Mumbai not being one of them). The speeds so far are comparable to what one gets on 3G (from my brief testing of surfing on a 4G wifi router from Airtel and the 3G connection from Vodafone). So the lack of 4G/LTE should not be a major issue.

The applications would be a concern depending on what kind of a user you are. If you are someone who keeps looking for interesting apps and uses the phone to try out different things, Windows 8 may not be the best platform for you. On the other hand if you don't particularly care about apps other than the very common ones like Facebook, Youtube etc. you couldn't care less if the OS was Windows 8 or Android.
Old 12th October 2013, 21:43   #1262
Senior - BHPian

Check out the upgrade/exchange offer

http://www.nokia.com/in-en/buyback/
Old 12th October 2013, 23:01   #1263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Check out the upgrade/exchange offer

http://www.nokia.com/in-en/buyback/
It seems to be pure crap. Very few people would exchange those top end handsets for a paltry 10k discount (except the BB bold owners!!). Most of those phones, except the micromax/gionee would have a higher resale. No?

from the nokia site: http://i.nokia.com/r/image/view/-/30...st-925-jpg.jpg
Old 14th October 2013, 12:24   #1264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
The Windows Phone 8 devices present themselves as MTP device (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol) when plugged into PC via USB. Not as a Mass Storage Device, meaning that you don't have any control over the file system in phone memory or the SD card. Basically all the media files can be copied in/out of the phone, but other types of files will not be accepted by the phone.
Didn't quite get this.

I have copied pdf/office files also in addition to mp3/jpeg etc ...
I can see all these files in my phone.
Old 18th October 2013, 16:26   #1265
BHPian

Windows Phone 8 Nokia Bittersweet shimmer update is out , is it available for download in India for Lumia phones.
Old 18th October 2013, 16:37   #1266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
Windows Phone 8 Nokia Bittersweet shimmer update is out , is it available for download in India for Lumia phones.
Have you tried it? What's new in the upgrade? I gave update, manually over the last weekend and still dint get the Radio on my Lumia 820! Nor did I get the camera improvements as shown in the official website. Wonder why Amber update did not happen on my phone.

Also, after the update, the Text prediction and the Auto-correct features have been working in an absurd manner, putting me in an embarrassing position. For example - 'Don't' was replaced by 'Font'
Old 18th October 2013, 18:21   #1267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
The update that came a couple of days back is not Bittersweet Shimmer. It is a developer preview of GDR3 (called Update 3) released by Microsoft. I have it on my phone. There are a very few new features, but nobody is sure as to what will come out in the final release which will be GDR3 final + Bittersweet Shimmer combined.

Edit: The details of what's new in Update 3 can be found at the link below.

http://www.wpcentral.com/hands-video...one-8-update-3

Last edited by vikram_d : 18th October 2013 at 18:23.
Old 22nd October 2013, 20:38   #1268
BHPian

My Lumia 820 won't take charge from the cig lighter/charger of my car. Is this because the charger isn't giving out enough current ? I'm using a genuine Nokia charger. Works well with Galaxy S1 though.
Old 22nd October 2013, 20:41   #1269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
My Lumia 820 won't take charge from the cig lighter/charger of my car. Is this because the charger isn't giving out enough current ? I'm using a genuine Nokia charger. Works well with Galaxy S1 though.
Try using the USB port of the ICE, should work. I heard of a similar issue from a friend as well, havent tried the lighter for my 720 but USB works flawlessly.
Old 22nd October 2013, 20:50   #1270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Try using the USB port of the ICE, should work. I heard of a similar issue from a friend as well, havent tried the lighter for my 720 but USB works flawlessly.
I did try the USB port; still won't take charge. I remember reading somewhere that unlike others, Nokia includes a protection in the charging mechanism of their phones. I'm not sure if that goes for the Lumia range as well. If USB 2.0 puts out 500ma then car's lighter and USB have to be lower.
Old 22nd October 2013, 20:54   #1271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I did try the USB port; still won't take charge. I remember reading somewhere that unlike others, Nokia includes a protection in the charging mechanism of their phones. I'm not sure if that goes for the Lumia range as well. If USB 2.0 puts out 500ma then car's lighter and USB have to be lower.
hmm, very strange. I have never faced an issue with charging my Lumia through the USB port. Will be interesting to know how many users face the same issues.
Old 23rd October 2013, 00:22   #1272
BHPian

I see huge improvement in quality of pictures after the amber update. I don't know what they fixed, but they have done something right. Also, I got tired of glance in one day.
Old 23rd October 2013, 08:56   #1273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
I see huge improvement in quality of pictures after the amber update. I don't know what they fixed, but they have done something right. Also, I got tired of glance in one day.
How is battery holding up with glance enabled?
Old 23rd October 2013, 09:21   #1274
BHPian

I did the Amber update couple of weeks back, after which reset my phone since there has been a change in my MS email ID. After reset, am seeing the following.
1. Datasense is available, but no Glance.
2. Apps stacked by Alphabets is gone.
3. When I check for updates, it says my phone is up to date.

Is the restore partially done or my Amber update is lost ?
Old 23rd October 2013, 11:07   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Didn't quite get this.

I have copied pdf/office files also in addition to mp3/jpeg etc ...
I can see all these files in my phone.
What I meant was, one cannot use the MTP device like a usb storage. The phone decides what goes in or can be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
How is battery holding up with glance enabled?
I have glance enabled for a month now and the average battery backup is 21 hrs (according to 'Insider' app). Earlier it was around 22-23 hrs. I have set my glance setting to 'peek'. I also installed the 'Glance Background' app (from Nokia), which is quite nice!

Currently on the GDR3 preview and the phone is rock solid. No resets or hanging. Used to hang atleast 2-3 times a week in the pre Amber days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I did the Amber update couple of weeks back, after which reset my phone since there has been a change in my MS email ID. After reset, am seeing the following.
1. Datasense is available, but no Glance.
2. Apps stacked by Alphabets is gone.
3. When I check for updates, it says my phone is up to date.

Is the restore partially done or my Amber update is lost ?
I had this issue when I did a factory reset after the Amber update. It took a while to get the 'display' app update so that the touch/glance/display got separated. Looks like this app feature and is not part of the amber update, because the feature is not enabled in all phones. You can wait for a couple of days to see if you get a update.

The alphabetic ordering comes on when the app count goes above 40 (or was it 30? don't remember)

BTW, mine is NL720

Most Viewed