Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2013, 17:14   #1276
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I had this issue when I did a factory reset after the Amber update. It took a while to get the 'display' app update so that the touch/glance/display got separated. Looks like this app feature and is not part of the amber update, because the feature is not enabled in all phones. You can wait for a couple of days to see if you get a update.

The alphabetic ordering comes on when the app count goes above 40 (or was it 30? don't remember)

BTW, mine is NL720
I did the factory reset last Sunday. Will wait till this weekend, if nothing turns up, what are my options?
As of now I haven't installed many apps in my phone, will add more and see if I can get the alphabetic ordering.

I too own NL720
Old 24th October 2013, 10:27   #1277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I had this issue when I did a factory reset after the Amber update. It took a while to get the 'display' app update so that the touch/glance/display got separated. Looks like this app feature and is not part of the amber update, because the feature is not enabled in all phones. You can wait for a couple of days to see if you get a update.

The alphabetic ordering comes on when the app count goes above 40 (or was it 30? don't remember)

BTW, mine is NL720
45 apps. That's when you get the alphabet index.
Old 24th October 2013, 22:25   #1278
Senior - BHPian

SophieLens has been updated to SophieLens HD and all the filters are available for FREE! Upto 22nd November. Go get it!

And I own a NL720 too, around 2-3 times a day, the phone freezes for a minute or so and then comes back to normal. Any workaround? I used to have freezes that could only be fixed with a Soft Reset a few days ago post which I Hard Reset the phone and this is the condition now.

What could be the problem?
Old 27th October 2013, 18:05   #1279
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick question to all Nokia Lumia users. My brother has to buy a phone to replace his Blackberry. He uses his phone for mainly the mails other than talking and whats app. We have zeroed down on Nexus 4 and Nokia Lumia 925. The Lumia is good but issue is windows OS. What should we do? What we liked with Nokia was that Outlook can be configured and it has pre loaded Office2013. Will it be good replacement for a Blackberry?
Old 27th October 2013, 18:19   #1280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
A quick question to all Nokia Lumia users. My brother has to buy a phone to replace his Blackberry. He uses his phone for mainly the mails other than talking and whats app. We have zeroed down on Nexus 4 and Nokia Lumia 925. The Lumia is good but issue is windows OS. What should we do? What we liked with Nokia was that Outlook can be configured and it has pre loaded Office2013. Will it be good replacement for a Blackberry?
For the requirements you mentioned, the 925 should be a great choice. The email interface is nice and easy to use, Whatsapp works well, the camera in 925 is excellent.

Whats the exactly is the issue you mentioned about Windows OS?
I recently moved from a Samsung Note 2 to Lumia 625. It may not have the abundance of apps, but all the necessary apps I needed are there in this platform.
Old 27th October 2013, 19:10   #1281
Senior - BHPian

I have the 710 with the older OS. Mail applications including Outlook work seamlessly. Synchronization to gmail for mail and contacts also works.

One word of caution, if you are used to a full QWERTY keyboard for typing, using virtual keyboard may be an issue. I have no idea if blackberry messenger would work (if that is an issue)

Last edited by Aroy : 27th October 2013 at 19:11.
Old 29th October 2013, 19:45   #1282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
For the requirements you mentioned, the 925 should be a great choice. The email interface is nice and easy to use, Whatsapp works well, the camera in 925 is excellent.

Whats the exactly is the issue you mentioned about Windows OS?
I recently moved from a Samsung Note 2 to Lumia 625. It may not have the abundance of apps, but all the necessary apps I needed are there in this platform.
Is there any lag in Whats app? I'm asking this coz we had used Whats app on Lumia 710 and there used to be a delay in getting messages on it. Messages would come once we used to switch on Whats app. In Android, messages are delivered in real time. How about Windows?
Old 29th October 2013, 20:10   #1283
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is there any lag in Whats app? I'm asking this coz we had used Whats app on Lumia 710 and there used to be a delay in getting messages on it. Messages would come once we used to switch on Whats app. In Android, messages are delivered in real time. How about Windows?
No, that was something which I tried immediately after installing and activating Whatsapp. I used to have this problem in my old HTC HD7 (WP 7x). Probably they fixed it in the latest updates, or cleaned up with WP8.
Lumia 710 is on WP 7 right?

In the Lumia 625, the messages are delivered real-time and notification pops on the top of the screen (similar to iOS/Android).
Old 29th October 2013, 22:07   #1284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I use a BB and have two androids. Looking forward to get the 925.

I don't think there is a mobile that can beat BB's keyboard though.
Android need lot of battery juice and are sluggish in most cases. I also have a Nexus 4.Its fast ( so is 925/920) but battery life is bad.

Nexus is bulkier than the 925 and heavier too I guess. Guess the best Win 8 phone around is the 925.
Old 31st October 2013, 23:01   #1285
BHPian

My 720 has been hanging way too frequently nowadays. Strange thing is I've not installed any new apps and this started only last week. When I try to answer a call, the screen freezes and I can't select any option . Only thing I can do is lock and then unlock to answer the call. Even apps have started to crash. Anybody experiencing this? Or am I alone? I've not had this after doing the amber update.

Also, did anyone notice when you open the touch option in setting some options quickly disappear and only sensitivity remains.

Last edited by Monolithic : 31st October 2013 at 23:05.
Old 4th November 2013, 01:23   #1286
Senior - BHPian

I bought a NL 520 3 days back. It came with the amber update. I am facing the following problems already:

1) Whenever I press the space bar 'full stop'(.) appears. This is very irritating especially when you are typing very fast.

2) The phone takes a few seconds to load apps and other things.

3) The phone has been hanging as well.

I am using the memory card of my old phone. Could this be the cause of the problem no. 2 and 3. Should I get a new memory card?

P.S: Its a September manufactured phone.

Last edited by Pancham : 4th November 2013 at 01:25.
Old 4th November 2013, 07:26   #1287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I bought a NL 520 3 days back. It came with the amber update. I am facing the following problems already:

I am using the memory card of my old phone. Could this be the cause of the problem no. 2 and 3. Should I get a new memory card?

Could be a possibility. I've faced similar issues on my Nokia Asha when I used my old memory card. My suggestion would be to try out a new card which is formatted as per your phone.
Old 4th November 2013, 07:33   #1288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1) Whenever I press the space bar 'full stop'(.) appears. This is very irritating especially when you are typing very fast.
Are you pressing the space bar twice? Pressing the space bar twice will give a fullstop. I am not sure if there is an option to disable it. Probably the experts can help.

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th November 2013 at 07:34.
Old 4th November 2013, 11:50   #1289
BHPian

Quote:

2) The phone takes a few seconds to load apps and other things.

3) The phone has been hanging as well.

1. If you choose the word suggestion and press the space quickly, a full stop is inserted. If you wait a second, then an actual space is inserted. Actually a space is automatically inserted if you choose word suggestion. You can access all settings under Settings-> Keyboard-> English (or any other installed keyboard). Click on the installed keyboard to change settings.

2, 3. I would also suggest to change the memory card. Or remove the card and see if the situation improves.
Old 4th November 2013, 11:58   #1290
BHPian

Quote:
I would also suggest to change the memory card. Or remove the card and see if the situation improves.
Almost certain the memory card is the culprit here. I was using an 8 GB Sandisk Memory Card from my old Nokia 5233. I used to face the same problem on my 720 (phone / apps freezing or hanging) and took it to Nokia Care. They removed the memory card and voila! problem solved. Got a new memory card later.

Most Viewed