Old 24th November 2013, 16:50   #1366
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

For the others who are on the fence.

Should I switch to Windows Phone? We jumped from Android and iOS to find out
Old 27th November 2013, 00:50   #1367
BHPian

Guys, I was looking (drooling) at Lumia 920 at flipkart today. Was happy to see the price of this one slashed from what I saw a couple of weeks back. Now its priced at Rs.21999/- for the white piece. The black and red pieces are mentioned as out of stock and priced at Rs.26999/-. Weird!

By the way, there were some 3-4 comments from the buyers in flipkart mentioning that they have got defective pieces from the retailer. So, I thought of checking at a shop and walked into Univercell (a well-known mobile shop in TN). Here, the store manager says that Nokia 920 and 820 have been stopped. They have 625 (priced at ~16K) and then 925 (@ ~32K).

I was totally surprised by this. I doubt if Nokia would have stopped all the products that is in the 17K-20K category. Can somebody confirm? And secondly, is it okay to buy via flipkart NOW?

EDIT: Please do not ask me to get myself a 925. Its quite northwards of my wallet.

Last edited by callvvijay : 27th November 2013 at 00:55.
Old 27th November 2013, 07:29   #1368
Team-BHP Support

Nokia 920 and 820 came out an year back. Not a surprise if they go out of production. Nokia probably changed their limited assembly lines to handle the newer models.
Old 27th November 2013, 07:43   #1369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Guys, I was looking (drooling) at Lumia 920 at flipkart today. Was happy to see the price of this one slashed from what I saw a couple of weeks back. Now its priced at Rs.21999/- for the white piece. The black and red pieces are mentioned as out of stock and priced at Rs.26999/-. Weird!

By the way, there were some 3-4 comments from the buyers in flipkart mentioning that they have got defective pieces from the retailer. So, I thought of checking at a shop and walked into Univercell (a well-known mobile shop in TN). Here, the store manager says that Nokia 920 and 820 have been stopped. They have 625 (priced at ~16K) and then 925 (@ ~32K).

I was totally surprised by this. I doubt if Nokia would have stopped all the products that is in the 17K-20K category. Can somebody confirm? And secondly, is it okay to buy via flipkart NOW?
I wouldn't be surprised if Nokia discontinues 820 and 920. These were the first models to come with WP8 and hence the most likely candidates to get the axe first, especially when 820 isn't selling much after 720 launched and you've got 925 as an alternative to 920. Even in US, I heard some carriers are slowly phasing out 820.

AFAIK, Flipkart changed its business model some time back and is currently yet another online shopping portal. We didn't have to worry about the seller's credibility earlier when buying via flipkart which is no longer the case now. They have passed on the accountability of quality to the seller now. So no one can give a guarantee about flipkart anymore just as you can't for ebay since it boils down to how the specific seller does business.
Old 27th November 2013, 07:52   #1370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Nokia 920 and 820 came out an year back. Not a surprise if they go out of production. Nokia probably changed their limited assembly lines to handle the newer models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Nokia discontinues 820 and 920. These were the first models to come with WP8 and hence the most likely candidates to get the axe first, especially when 820 isn't selling much after 720 launched and you've got 925 as an alternative to 920. Even in US, I heard some carriers are slowly phasing out 820.
Agree. But what I am surprised here is - by this axing of these two products, Nokia has a phone at 16K level and then the next one at 32K level - this is at the price point. The same applies at the features-point as well. I felt they should have something(s) at the mid-range between these two.
Old 27th November 2013, 08:43   #1371
Senior - BHPian

Just checked Nokia India site. They've removed the price info for 820 and 920.

Quote:
Agree. But what I am surprised here is - by this axing of these two products, Nokia has a phone at 16K level and then the next one at 32K level - this is at the price point. The same applies at the features-point as well. I felt they should have something(s) at the mid-range between these two.
920 was supposed to be in the 30-32k range. Any lower price is due to the discounts and the company wouldn't be too happy to sell it at that price. So discontinuing it wouldn't make a difference to Nokia from a price range perspective.

Removing 8 series will certainly lead to a void from a pricing perspective but it never sold much even when it was available. They might introduce an 825 sometime later to fill this void.
Old 27th November 2013, 08:54   #1372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Guys, if it isn't too much to ask, could you check for updates and post back if the phone is prompting for the GDR3 update download?

Go to settings>phone update>click on 'check for updates' after enabling wifi/3G.

The update is out for HTC devices. Not sure why it is taking too long for Nokia. This update brings many features esp. the closing app. from multitasking window.
Nope Relax. Maybe they have something more added for Nokia people.
Old 27th November 2013, 14:39   #1373
BHPian

Quote:

EDIT: Please do not ask me to get myself a 925. Its quite northwards of my wallet.
I took the plunge and ordered it yesterday for my wife. Flipkart delivered it within 14 hrs. Great.

The month of manufacturing was March 2013.
Old 27th November 2013, 15:25   #1374
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone else also face this peculiar issue with Adobe PDF reader?
1. If I open the PDF doc from OFFICE, trying to open the second time results in this irritating message: ___.pdf already exists. Do you want to replace this file?

2. If you say "no" to above, then exit the Office app, and go to Adobe app. You will find the same file shown twice!

3. If you press "yes" to the above message (which you won't because you might be afraid - what is this replace/overwrite thing) then you won't find duplicates.

4. Curiously, there are no duplicates in the Office space.
Old 27th November 2013, 18:18   #1375
BHPian

Nokia Lumia 525 with 1gb ram is announced. Pl. check gsmarena for details. Thanks.
Old 27th November 2013, 18:27   #1376
Distinguished - BHPian

A #noobie level Q - is there a setting in the Lumia (925) phones for audio output to come out of one speaker/earphone? Like in our PCs we have the audio output only on left/right volume control.

Till yesterday my 3 day old Lumia 925 was functioning fine - but yesterday night the earphones output was coming only from the left earphone. Tried with multiple earphones, the problem exists. Since Flipkart's got a 30 day replacement guarantee, I got into action today morning - raised a replacement request.

But I'm wondering if there is some setting (that I cant find ) to do the above.

P.s. Have to credit Flipkart, the replacement phone has already been dispatched - without any nagging queries from their side.
Old 28th November 2013, 10:24   #1377
BHPian

Re: Nokia Lumia 1020 41MP Pureview Tech Demystified

I bought Lumia 920 for my wife for below reasons:

-Simple OS. everything mostly used is just a click away.
-Amazing Camera with real widescreen and low light photo capabilities. Never used flash!
Also Cinemagraph, face change, remove moving objects, photosynth with 360degree photos, Smart Cam doing amazing editing. And all the apps are so simple to use!
-Clear Speaker and Mic
-Touch Response
-Amazing blackness of screen
-Awesome Yellow Color
-Full Office App
-Very quick camera initialization without unlocking and fast auto focus overall gives confidence to take immediate snaps when needed
-Nokia solid build quality
-Differentiating phone (when everyone is carrying Samsung or Chinese )
-Very practical and usage Skype video calling
-Wireless charging & NFC reader & writer gimmic

Annoying things:
-Single volume control for all audio. If i reduce volume in game, its reduces in rings!!
-Not very matured 3rd party apps
-No 3G video calling like Samsung

I use Motorola Atrix 2 which is never say die phone! But I really love Lumia 920

Last edited by devrajman : 28th November 2013 at 10:26.
Old 28th November 2013, 11:20   #1378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Till yesterday my 3 day old Lumia 925 was functioning fine - but yesterday night the earphones output was coming only from the left earphone.
"Issue" resolved - apparently this is a common issue with Lumia (925) phones
Refer to this link if someone else faces this issue.
Old 2nd December 2013, 11:37   #1379
Senior - BHPian

I just got this from the windows phone website reg "Add File Manager to Windows Phone":
(No Status) → Completed

This feature is now available in Windows Phone 8.
And as always, if you think this feature or any other feature needs improvement be sure to create new product suggestions so we can track them all and other users can vote on your ideas. And while we can’t promise to ship every suggestion that gets submitted, we will be sure that our product development team receives your feedback. We’re always listening!

Last edited by phamilyman : 2nd December 2013 at 11:50.
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:12   #1380
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
At the price points 820 & 920 are good when some one is looking for fast processeors. with 1GB RAM the updates will continue unlike 520 /620.
Either way Nokia Strategy is to flood market with Variants and all WP8 X20 range may not last for more than 12 months unless they price it cheaper while introducing X25 Ranges

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks