Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2013, 12:12   #1456
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

When is Mcirosoft coming up with updates to fix the two highly irritating aspects:
1. Can't edit the words from the middle. Whether you are on sms, email, chat, browser - anything - you cannot edit the word you typed. You can only delete the whole word, even though you just wanted to correct the one letter in the word.

2. Can't attach document to email. BUT very strangely I can send documents via email. I know a few people may get perplexed, but if you have a WP, do this: open email app, new email, attach -> only photos!
Open office, long tap on your desired doc -> send via email!
Old 19th December 2013, 12:14   #1457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
7. This could be a very personal view, but the iPhone size is perfect to fit in the palm for a single handed use. For 925, if you need to call you need to reach the top left, which is a stretch for a left handed person. The least they could do was to offer a left/right handed customization or at least keep the call button in the bottom half (as in iPhone).
I dont unerstand this. Are you referring tile that is used for calling? If that is a case, you can rearrange it any where you want.
Old 19th December 2013, 12:43   #1458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
When is Microsoft coming up with updates to fix the two highly irritating aspects:
1. Can't edit the words from the middle. Whether you are on sms, email, chat, browser - anything - you cannot edit the word you typed. You can only delete the whole word, even though you just wanted to correct the one letter in the word.
Press and hold on the word to get the I cursor which can be placed anywhere within a text including middle of a word. I'm typing this from WP8 and have corrected the spelling of Microsoft in your post quoted above

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
I dont unerstand this. Are you referring tile that is used for calling? If that is a case, you can rearrange it any where you want.
I think he is referring to the phone icon you see on the left when you open call list.
Old 19th December 2013, 13:33   #1459
BHPian

Look at the following screens

The Windows Phone Thread-wp_ss_20131219_0002.jpg

The Windows Phone Thread-wp_ss_20131219_0001.jpg

In both case you need to reach out to the top left to dial which is not a very easy task to do with a single handed operation on a largish screen size. On the iPhone, the alphabet-list to search contacts is on the right, On Android (if i recall correctly) the call icon is on the right.
Old 19th December 2013, 13:46   #1460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
In both case you need to reach out to the top left to dial which is not a very easy task to do with a single handed operation on a largish screen size. On the iPhone, the alphabet-list to search contacts is on the right, On Android (if i recall correctly) the call icon is on the right.
Going by the same logic, does that mean iPhone and Android OS are not right-hander friendly if it came in the same form factor as 925?
Old 19th December 2013, 13:51   #1461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Going by the same logic, does that mean iPhone and Android OS are not right-hander friendly if it came in the same form factor as 925?
No comments about Android Phones, since i have used them very sparingly, but for an iPhone, the screen size is not as big, thus it typically is not difficult to reach any corner of the screen. Further, the alphabet search list is on the right as can be seen in the below screenshot (unlike the lumia 925/WP8.0) wherein you need to click the alphabet on the top left.

The Windows Phone Thread-iphonecontacts.jpg

Most importantly, as per statistics, roughly 12% of men and 10% of women are left-handed (source: wikipedia).
Old 19th December 2013, 14:21   #1462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Press and hold on the word to get the I cursor which can be placed anywhere within a text including middle of a word. I'm typing this from WP8 and have corrected the spelling of Microsoft in your post quoted above
Thanks a ton!
Now is there a "hidden" maneuver for attaching docs to emails too?
Old 19th December 2013, 14:36   #1463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Thanks a ton!
Now is there a "hidden" maneuver for attaching docs to emails too?
Never felt the need to attach anything present in my phone as a reply email. So I've not explored it but I guess the absence of a file manager makes the pictures hub the only place accessible by other apps.

I've come across an app recently that can play video with subtitles but the video has to be present in the camera roll folder and it cannot detect videos in the Music and video hub. So I assume MSFT is not allowing third party app access to most other hubs, which might be the situation here too.

Since the work-around you've mentioned works for most cases, this may not be a big issue for most folks and might not be a high priority item. BTW, check the WP uservoice page and see if such a feedback is present. If not, you can add it as a new feedback though I should warn you that most feedbacks I've given there got only my vote.
Old 20th December 2013, 10:34   #1464
BHPian

I have this problem with Windows phone bluetooth calling which is only applicable when I use it with my Polo HU. It seems it is combination of Windows phone and Polo HU.

Problem is, once phone is connected to HU, it works properly for first 5 minutes or so, but if I get a call after 10-15 minutes, I can not accept the call using HU or steering mounted controls. First nothing happens and then HU show connection disconnected.

If this is problem with Windows phone, it was working properly with my old Spark's after market Blaupunkt HU. Is it problem with Polo RCD HU? probabably not, as it works perfectly with my standby handset of Nokia E5. So it must be combination of Polo HU and Windows Phone.

Any ideas?
Old 20th December 2013, 11:38   #1465
Team-BHP Support

No signs of the GDR 3 update for Lumia 920 for Indian users.

Quote:
Is it problem with Polo RCD HU? probabably not, as it works perfectly with my standby handset of Nokia E5. So it must be combination of Polo HU and Windows Phone.

Any ideas?
Is this the RCD320 HU? I did not have any issues pairing the 920 with the RCD320 HU on my Polo.

But the mic positioning on the top-left corner of the HU is terrible and the other person could barely listen to what I was speaking despite the cabin being reasonably silent. The mic should have been provided near the driver side visor a la the i20/Grand i10 or the steering wheel. I have switched to a Plantronics ML2 BT headset now.

The phone is paired with both, the HU and the headset as well. Music can be streamed via the phone and phone calls can be answered through the headset. This is how it shows on the BT menu:

The Windows Phone Thread-wp_ss_20131211_0002.jpg

PS: BH219 refer to the Nokia headset which was replaced with the Plantronics ML2 later. The Nokia headset wasn't working properly so eBay sent me a refund later.
Old 20th December 2013, 12:27   #1466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
But the mic positioning on the top-left corner of the HU is terrible and the other person could barely listen to what I was speaking despite the cabin being reasonably silent. The mic should have been provided near the driver side visor a la the i20/Grand i10 or the steering wheel.
Another classic case of something designed for LHD cars and directly transferred to RHD versions without the required changes.
Old 20th December 2013, 15:34   #1467
BHPian

Quote:
I have this problem with Windows phone bluetooth calling which is only applicable when I use it with my Polo HU. It seems it is combination of Windows phone and Polo HU.

Problem is, once phone is connected to HU, it works properly for first 5 minutes or so, but if I get a call after 10-15 minutes, I can not accept the call using HU or steering mounted controls. First nothing happens and then HU show connection disconnected.

If this is problem with Windows phone, it was working properly with my old Spark's after market Blaupunkt HU. Is it problem with Polo RCD HU? probabably not, as it works perfectly with my standby handset of Nokia E5. So it must be combination of Polo HU and Windows Phone.

Any ideas?
Though a wild try, you may check the option "Connect in a different way to use speech with Bluetooth in my car" under Settings-Bluetooth-advanced.
Old 20th December 2013, 17:13   #1468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Are you facing this problem in a specific location like your home or office. My cousin faced a similar problem with his L920 whenever he would be at home. But at office things would worked fine for him.

If you are facing this problem at a specific location then I think that the tower that your phone is getting a signal from is beaming down the wrong time. This turned out to be the case with my cousin also. So can check restarting your phone when you are in a different location.
I am positively sure now that it is not AIRTEL's issue.
I faced this problem at home as well as office.
No other AIRTEL subscribers at my office faced this problem.

Anyway since your post - I have kept my phone on manual date & time setting.
However, my phone just hung with black screen (but with correct time visible on top right edge) a few minutes back.
Restarted it - got wrong date & time!

Can others please try this with their phones?
Just restart your phone with and without automatic date & time. And see if the date & time setting of your phone screws up ...
Old 23rd December 2013, 20:23   #1469
BHPian

Does the Nokia Lumia 925 has inbuilt GPS speedometer app and compass app or should we have to download from the Windows store. If so, any good suggestions for the same. Thanks.
Old 23rd December 2013, 20:37   #1470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Does the Nokia Lumia 925 has inbuilt GPS speedometer app and compass app or should we have to download from the Windows store. If so, any good suggestions for the same. Thanks.
I think both have multiple free apps which you can download from store and try. Most apps do the same thing and the preference depends on what your tastes for the UI are. eg: for GPS speedo, some like digital readouts while others prefer analog dials. Since they are free, you can download 3-4 apps with good ratings and uninstall the ones you don't like.

BTW, why do you need GPS speedo app? I've found it to be a battery drainer.

EDIT: I use Jack of tools Pro app for most of these utilities.

Last edited by zenren : 23rd December 2013 at 20:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks