Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2012, 23:21   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
When i bought my Omnia W in March12 the Price was Rs 15700/- everywhere in navi mumbai, but i managed to get mine at Rs. 14800/- with free scratch guard from a dealer friend of mine who runs Samsung privilege partner store. So i guess even at Rs. 14800/- he had good amount of margin for himself.
14800 That is indeed a great price. After checking out the phone I thought it would somewhere around 20K but 15K is awesome VFM. Can you share any cons about the OMNIA??? I cant afford to get a high end windows phone and get stuck because of any kind of glitches. Once happened with me--it was a Sony Ericsson. After that I vowed I will only use low end phone, but now I am getting attracted towards these nice windows phones. So please put a list of cons(if any).

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post

Tomorrow i plan to go check out omnia w in samsung store and take final decision.
Please do that and let me know. Also the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Update: I went to a friend's home who had higher speed WiFi (256kbytes/s vs my 30kbps) and Skype video chat worked flawlessly! So we get to know that Skype video chat indeed works on all WP7 devices but internet speed must be good. Does it rule out 3G? And yes, without front camera, it's annoying. One should definitely go for the devices which have front facing camera.

PS: I hate Airtel's 8GB limit per month. After enjoying 256kps for 9 days, I have to suffer on 30kps for rest 21 days

And no, I ain't paying more to set limit higher.
Thanks a lot DC. I am relieved.
Old 24th April 2012, 23:45   #317
Senior - BHPian

Guys I need help. Just one question--HTC Titan 2 or Samsung Focus???
Old 24th April 2012, 23:47   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys I need help. Just one question--HTC Titan 2 or Samsung Focus???
Samsung Focus? It is not available in India.
Old 24th April 2012, 23:52   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Samsung Focus? It is not available in India.
I know. Probably Titan 2 is also not available but I have very little knowledge about Windows so kindly help me. Here are the links.
HTC Titan II - Full phone specifications
Samsung Focus S I937 - Full phone specifications

I will be getting it from abroad.
Old 25th April 2012, 00:04   #320
Senior - BHPian

^^
A word of advice. Stick to phones available in India. Dont know if you will get support if any issues crop up later.

Chuck both and go for the Lumia if u want Win Phone only.
Old 25th April 2012, 00:06   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Probably Titan 2 is also not available but I have very little knowledge about Windows so kindly help me.
There are two categories of Windows Phone devices which you can buy-
1. Cheap ones
2. Expensive ones.

All the WP7 devices have same tech spec due to Microsoft's restriction. Cheap and expensive phones are differentiated only by non-spec stuff like camera, screen size (but with same resolution), reception and build quality etc.

Among cheap ones, Samsung Omnia W is best since it is the only cheap WP device with front camera (already available in market).

Among expensive ones, Nokia Lumia 900 is best due to good battery, build quality, reception, call quality and camera (coming soon).

Edit: Regarding availability in India, this phonecurry.com is best for checking. An example- http://www.phonecurry.com/list-mobil...=48000&selOS=p

Edit2: Your sister thinking to get Titan 2? That's awesome! Personally owning an HTC phone myself (Mozart) and Nokia phones in past, I like HTC phones more but had suggested Lumia 900 because of more ratings than HTC Titan 2 on net. Also, I love Titan 2's Super LCD screen more than Lumia 900's AMOLED one.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 25th April 2012 at 00:13. Reason: Edit in post
Old 25th April 2012, 00:08   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
^^
A word of advice. Stick to phones available in India. Dont know if you will get support if any issues crop up later.

Chuck both and go for the Lumia if u want Win Phone only.
Buddy I was looking for a phone with front camera which the LUMIA doesnt have. Then I checked out the OMNIA which is awesome. But my sis called up and asked me if I want the titan2 or the focus. I think she got the TITAN 2.

@DC . I think they will be launching the TITAN 2 very soon in India.

EDIT: But I liked the samsung screen. Its bright.

Last edited by Pancham : 25th April 2012 at 00:22.
Old 25th April 2012, 00:20   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buddy I was looking for a phone with front camera which the LUMIA doesnt have. Then I checked out the OMNIA which is awesome. But my sis called up and asked me if I want the titan2 or the focus. I think she got the TITAN 2.

@DC . I think they will be launching the TITAN 2 very soon in India.
If you are going that way (the US way) then why not the Galaxy Nexus!!! Titan2 is unnecessarily costly (though it packs a great camera). Nexus has better 720p screen, Google OS that will always be updated instantly and much better looks. Just a suggestion, I know it is a Windows Phone thread but still. That kind of money, I'd rather spend on the Galaxy Nexus!

Just look at this (Picked from Android Thread):

Anyone visiting the USA can now pick up the galaxy nexus GSM version directly from the google play store. unlocked and without contract for a low price of <20K

Google back in the smartphone sales game: unlocked Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ (GSM) available for $399 -- Engadget

One of the best phone on earth for just about 20k!!! Think about it.

Last edited by joslicx : 25th April 2012 at 00:27.
Old 25th April 2012, 00:38   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
If you are going that way (the US way) then why not the Galaxy Nexus!!! Titan2 is unnecessarily costly (though it packs a great camera). Nexus has better 720p screen, Google OS that will always be updated instantly and much better looks. Just a suggestion, I know it is a Windows Phone thread but still. That kind of money, I'd rather spend on the Galaxy Nexus!

Just look at this (Picked from Android Thread):

Anyone visiting the USA can now pick up the galaxy nexus GSM version directly from the google play store. unlocked and without contract for a low price of <20K

Google back in the smartphone sales game: unlocked Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ (GSM) available for $399 -- Engadget

One of the best phone on earth for just about 20k!!! Think about it.
Arre my sis already picked up the TITAN II.
Old 1st May 2012, 16:10   #325
BHPian

Guys... any wp users facing issues with whatsapp ??
Old 1st May 2012, 16:28   #326
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Nope. What issue are you facing?
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:07   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope no issues with the Omnia and Whatsapp app, works well even when sending or receiving images.

Pancham, i would say get the Samsung, its a value for money phone with two cameras.

I have been using this phone since 4 months or so and have also experienced their service center which though not fantastic but it did solve my issue.

I would say stay away from HTC atleast in India, specifically Bangalore as my friend who has a Desire S (Android) is facing hoorrible issues with the company and its retailer, his phone is in non-working condition since more than a month without a solution in sight.
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:12   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No issues here too. What issues are you facing?
Old 3rd May 2012, 00:39   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post

Pancham, i would say get the Samsung, its a value for money phone with two cameras.

I have been using this phone since 4 months or so and have also experienced their service center which though not fantastic but it did solve my issue.

I would say stay away from HTC atleast in India, specifically Bangalore as my friend who has a Desire S (Android) is facing hoorrible issues with the company and its retailer, his phone is in non-working condition since more than a month without a solution in sight.
My sister already got the HTC. You are saying that you have the Samsung Focus or is the Omnia?? The Titan 2 is a little bit more spec"ed" than the Omnia. I havent received the phone yet. Lets see how things turn out.
Old 3rd May 2012, 01:17   #330
Senior - BHPian

Pancham

I can vouch for the (dis)service of HTC in Bangalore. I bought a brand new HTC Radar for my wife. This was bought from Letsbuy. The unit they shipped has issues out of the box. It did not recognize any Sim card. Talked to Letsbuy who directed me to HTC Service Center (lesson No. 1 learnt - Should have gone for Flipcart for the purchase as they have a 30 day no questions asked return/replacement guarantee). Anyway gave the phone to service center. They told me motherboard needs replacement. I asked them for complete unit replacement as it was brand new. They asked me to write to HTC. Anyway I did that and surely they did replace it in about 2 weeks. But the problem was the replacement unit was a refurbished one! So you see, I paid for a brand new phone, but what I actually got was an old refurbished phone.

I am not going to buy an HTC again! This, coming from a HTC fan actually!

Anyway lets not digress and make this a HTC service woes thread. Theres already one on this forum.

Most Viewed