Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2013, 19:50   #916
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
:@
So I (+ a friend) did manage to find some really irritating quirks about the windows phone:
1. you cannot edit the number which called you, or you made a call to to dial back
2. if you use whatsapp you cannot save unknown number into a known contact, neither can you copy paste the phone number. You can only create a new contact (!)
(3). this appears to be problem with me: I am unable to use the find my phone feature.

All in all, perhaps the best integration of different accounts, profiles etc for social networking purpose, but the basic phone features is pretty surprisingly lacking (read the points 1 above).

God knows what all I will unearth slowly ...

Oh, and it is confirmed, the HERE Maps/Drive is pretty pathetic in terms of places marked compared to Google maps.
1. This is a known missing functionality. The work around is as follows. open the phone app and click on the number you want to edit. This will take to the contact card screen. Over there copy the number and paste it into the phone app. Now you can edit. I know it is pretty tedious.

2. This is a Whatsapp issue.

3. For some reason finding the physical phone's location and showing it on a map has been disabled for the India region. The Ring, Lock and Erase features on www.windowsphone.com website work properly, provided you phone have an active internet connection.

Nokia Drive needs to be online to find the locations as the downloaded maps do not have all locations. Once the location to be navigated to is found, then the navigation itself is offline.
Old 17th May 2013, 20:07   #917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Even the 620 has FM radio capability. The reason that it may not get FM radio is described at the link below.

http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lu...o-support.html
I had meant the same. The link I posted has the same info :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
:@
So I (+ a friend) did manage to find some really irritating quirks about the windows phone:
1. you cannot edit the number which called you, or you made a call to to dial back
2. if you use whatsapp you cannot save unknown number into a known contact, neither can you copy paste the phone number. You can only create a new contact (!)
(3). this appears to be problem with me: I am unable to use the find my phone feature.

All in all, perhaps the best integration of different accounts, profiles etc for social networking purpose, but the basic phone features is pretty surprisingly lacking (read the points 1 above).

God knows what all I will unearth slowly ...

Oh, and it is confirmed, the HERE Maps/Drive is pretty pathetic in terms of places marked compared to Google maps.
1. You can edit the number,but takes forever to do it here it goes: press the number from the history, long press the number in the next screen, select copy, go back, choose the dialer screen,choose paste,edit it.. Oh wait... There is only backspace to edit
2. Whatsapp is not integrated well.
3. I had the issue initially,solved it by enabling the option to push apps in the settings - find my phone page.
Old 20th May 2013, 11:33   #918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I had meant the same. The link I posted has the same info :-)

1. You can edit the number,but takes forever to do it here it goes: press the number from the history, long press the number in the next screen, select copy, go back, choose the dialer screen,choose paste,edit it.. Oh wait... There is only backspace to edit
2. Whatsapp is not integrated well.
3. I had the issue initially,solved it by enabling the option to push apps in the settings - find my phone page.
As I wrote on another forum, clearly the Microsoft blokes were smoking pot while designing the basic phone features. Editing phone numbers, using the same number for sms, phone without saving it or creating a new contact is a very basic functionality, which MS should've learnt from Nokia.

Quote:
1. This is a known missing functionality. The work around is as follows. open the phone app and click on the number you want to edit. This will take to the contact card screen. Over there copy the number and paste it into the phone app. Now you can edit. I know it is pretty tedious.

2. This is a Whatsapp issue.

3. For some reason finding the physical phone's location and showing it on a map has been disabled for the India region. The Ring, Lock and Erase features on www.windowsphone.com website work properly, provided you phone have an active internet connection.

Nokia Drive needs to be online to find the locations as the downloaded maps do not have all locations. Once the location to be navigated to is found, then the navigation itself is offline.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3105680
That is the comparison between Nokia maps and Google maps. Tell me which is more useful to an average joe?

Now, I do like one feature about Nokia drive, there are some places like nearby Fuel stations, Hospitals etc - which come up prominently on the display. However, this is just a consolation prize: if I cannot find my place, I would perhaps not use the map application!

And I am surprised at the usage of online connection to route the map! Now I guess it's time to accuse Nokia folks of smoking weed while designing this. What happens when I don't have internet connection?

Last edited by alpha1 : 20th May 2013 at 11:42.
Old 23rd May 2013, 21:26   #919
BHPian

What kind of a moronic OS is WP8!!! There isn't a freaking PDF reader!!!!! Someone should sue MS for making such a useless platform. Disgusted!!
Old 23rd May 2013, 21:39   #920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
What kind of a moronic OS is WP8!!! There isn't a freaking PDF reader!!!!! Someone should sue MS for making such a useless platform. Disgusted!!
Don't waste Microsoft's time by suing them. Spend some time in Microsoft's WP8 store. You will find that they and Nokia have made all the essential apps available to us.

PDF Reader

Store
Old 24th May 2013, 08:32   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Install adobe reader from store.
Old 24th May 2013, 12:09   #922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which other Operating system in this world comes with acrobat PDF as native file format?

Whether it is PC or a Mobile phone, you always have to install a program to make the PDF format readable (whether by Adobe or by others).
Old 24th May 2013, 12:14   #923
BHPian

My friend owns a Samsung Omnia W GT-i8350 - Windows phone. Any idea on how to set a song as a ringtone? I couldn't find such a basic feature in this phone. No offense, but this phone lacks some basic things like Bluetooth pairing with other devices. Anyone using the same phone ? Please advice.
Old 24th May 2013, 12:27   #924
BHPian

I got the Nokia Lumia last year and again went for a HTC 8x for my wifey this year.
Overall,I am pretty happy with both the phones.
The Nokia Win8 phone has some very nice apps.I read in one of the posts below about the maps not making sense when there isn't any internet connection. AFAIK,there is a feature where you can download maps and use it as an offline feature.It worked well for me during my recent drive to Goa.
Old 24th May 2013, 12:40   #925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzone799 View Post
My friend owns a Samsung Omnia W GT-i8350 - Windows phone. Any idea on how to set a song as a ringtone? I couldn't find such a basic feature in this phone. No offense, but this phone lacks some basic things like Bluetooth pairing with other devices. Anyone using the same phone ? Please advice.
Songs need to be in a specific format and size for you to be able to set them as a ringtone. There are plenty of apps available which can convert your songs to ringtones. Also lots of ringtone download apps available on which you can find almost any song that you want as a ringtone.

Bluetooth pairing is very much available. I don't know how you can say that it isn't? For you to pair Bluetooth devices you have to be on the Bluetooth on/off page. That is the only time Bluetooth runs in visible mode and other devices can see your phone. You only need to be on that page for pairing. once pairing is done the phone auto connects to the paired device. If you navigate away from that page, Bluetooth automatically goes into hidden mode.
Old 24th May 2013, 13:34   #926
BHPian

Quote:
I have the same phone. This runs on WP 7.5 or later (Not WP8). For custom ringtones, the following should be met:
The file should be:
  • In MP3 or WMA format.
  • Less than 40 seconds.
  • Less than 1 MB.
  • Not protected with digital rights management (DRM).
  • The Genre of the file should be "ringtone"
You can do this by using Audacity or any other audio editing programs. Once you have done it, sync the file using Zune. You should be able to see the file in the ringtone list.

As far as Bluetooth sharing is concerned. Pairing with devices such as headphones are supported. But file transfer isnt available. Nokia made it available through an app along with the launch of WP 7.8. But Samsung is yet to come up with an app for this . The phone was phased out some 3 months after i bought it and was replaced with a lower end edition(Omnia m - which was eventually discontinued)
Old 24th May 2013, 15:28   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Bluetooth pairing is very much available. I don't know how you can say that it isn't?
I understand that Bluetooth pairing is available. But, i cannot understand why we cannot transfer files via Bluetooth. That for me is major let down. I have seen my friend taking photos using its camera (5MP - which is good) and getting upset being not able to share those via Bluetooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
I have the same phone. This runs on WP 7.5 or later (Not WP8). For custom ringtones, the following should be met:
The file should be:
  • In MP3 or WMA format.
  • Less than 40 seconds.
  • Less than 1 MB.
  • Not protected with digital rights management (DRM).
  • The Genre of the file should be "ringtone"
As far as Bluetooth sharing is concerned. Pairing with devices such as headphones are supported. But file transfer isnt available. Nokia made it available through an app along with the launch of WP 7.8. But Samsung is yet to come up with an app for this . The phone was phased out some 3 months after i bought it and was replaced with a lower end edition(Omnia m - which was eventually discontinued)
I guess Samsung had released this phone just to have a go at the Nokia Lumia's. This is a good phone with AMOLED display, 1 GHz processor, 5MP Cam, 1.3 MP secondary cam, 8GB storage, 1GB RAM, price about 15K etc. But, it just disappoints you in terms of the complexity involved in doing some simple tasks.
Old 24th May 2013, 18:23   #928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I understand that Bluetooth pairing is available. But, i cannot understand why we cannot transfer files via Bluetooth. That for me is major let down. I have seen my friend taking photos using its camera (5MP - which is good) and getting upset being not able to share those via Bluetooth.
This was a misguided attempt by Microsoft. They did these to stop piracy through DRM and in this process they didn't even bother to check if they were also stopping people from sharing their own content like photos etc. I completely agree that not allowing your own files to be shared is rather stupid.

They have now implemented file sharing on WP8, but even now you cannot share all kinds of files. For example you cannot share any MS Office documents via Bluetooth. It has to be done only via email or via Skydrive.
Old 24th May 2013, 18:33   #929
BHPian

Anyone knows how to delete multiple contacts? When I transferred my contacts from android via "Transfer my data" app it added all my mailing contacts as well. Now most of them are of no use to me. So how do I delete them? If there's no way for selecting multiple items, Nokia should reconsider this. Even a basic Nokia 100 has this feature.

BTW, I'm in love with my white 720. What a beauty! And it's so lag-free. Hope they get instagram in and whatsapp works just the way it does on other platforms.
Old 24th May 2013, 18:40   #930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Anyone knows how to delete multiple contacts? When I transferred my contacts from android via "Transfer my data" app it added all my mailing contacts as well. Now most of them are of no use to me. So how do I delete them? If there's no way for selecting multiple items, Nokia should reconsider this. Even a basic Nokia 100 has this feature.

BTW, I'm in love with my white 720. What a beauty! And it's so lag-free. Hope they get instagram in and whatsapp works just the way it does on other platforms.
As of now there is no way to delete multiple contacts in one go. This feature will be coming with the next update. You can try logging in to your Microsoft account on a PC and delete those contacts there and see if they get deleted from the phone also. I'm not sure if this works as I have never tried it.

There is a nice Instagram substitute app called Itsdagram Free and that works really well.

Edit: I tried deleting multiple contacts on my Hotmail/Live contacts page and then did a manual sync of that account on the phone and sure enough those contacts got deleted from the phone also.

Last edited by vikram_d : 24th May 2013 at 18:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks