Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2013, 20:23   #976
mxx
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

I am planning to get a lumia 520. I already have an android phone and I like it. The reason why I decided on lumia windows phone is for nokia HERE (formerly nokia drive I think) navigation with offline maps. I read in an article that I can download country maps and use it for navigation offline. Anyone tried downloading maps and offline navigation? Does it work well? How much size does all India map consume after downloading?
Old 4th June 2013, 21:04   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude View Post
deep_bang, how many exchange accounts do you have in your phone? Does it allow more than one account?
I have tried with only one exchange account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So looks like finally Windows phones are coming of age in terms of UI experience. For the price paid, one tends to get much better and smoother UI experience compared to the similarly spec'ed Androids.
Yes - very true.
Old 4th June 2013, 21:52   #978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
I am planning to get a lumia 520. I already have an android phone and I like it. The reason why I decided on lumia windows phone is for nokia HERE (formerly nokia drive I think) navigation with offline maps. I read in an article that I can download country maps and use it for navigation offline. Anyone tried downloading maps and offline navigation? Does it work well? How much size does all India map consume after downloading?
Buy https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sygic.aura_mmi while it lasts then

I will accept a cheque for 5% commission on your savings!
Old 5th June 2013, 08:26   #979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Does MMI have offline navigation?
Its only online. MMI works on house numbers too.
Quote:
Skype is very much available in the Indian store. My phone is set to India and I see the app.

Edit: Link to Skype in the India store - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-in/st...b-c0a3f4360a51
My hotmail account is set to UK. I had selected India as system locale. Skyoe failed to install saying it is not available in the region. When changes the locale to US, it installed.
Old 5th June 2013, 09:21   #980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Its only online. MMI works on house numbers too.
Hmm. Sadly a lot of house /door numbers are still missing. I can't find my home nor my head office which are both in the heart of Bangalore.
Old 5th June 2013, 12:23   #981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3105680
That is the comparison between Nokia maps and Google maps. Tell me which is more useful to an average joe?

Now, I do like one feature about Nokia drive, there are some places like nearby Fuel stations, Hospitals etc - which come up prominently on the display. However, this is just a consolation prize: if I cannot find my place, I would perhaps not use the map application!

And I am surprised at the usage of online connection to route the map! Now I guess it's time to accuse Nokia folks of smoking weed while designing this. What happens when I don't have internet connection?
I have downloaded the map for entire India - about 600 MB.
Here maps have IGNORED India totally. (Check the comparison in the above post, also make your own comparison)
Old 10th June 2013, 22:20   #982
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I am looking for a smartphone under Rs. 15000 - I very much like the idea of going with a Nokia Lumia 620 - only thing stopping me is the 512 MB RAM. I think there are Android phones under 15000 which have more RAM. So what is the general experience of people using Lumia 620 - is the lack of RAM a serious issue today - or will it be in the future? I am not into games at all - if that info helps.
Old 11th June 2013, 08:56   #983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am looking for a smartphone under Rs. 15000 - I very much like the idea of going with a Nokia Lumia 620 - only thing stopping me is the 512 MB RAM. I think there are Android phones under 15000 which have more RAM. So what is the general experience of people using Lumia 620 - is the lack of RAM a serious issue today - or will it be in the future? I am not into games at all - if that info helps.
If you are not into games - you don't need to worry about the 512MB RAM. 620 is a very good phone, its costing about 13k now I believe.

If you can stretch your budget - I would recommend 720 instead because it has bigger screen 4.3", better camera and bigger battery. It will cost about 17,500 I guess and its worth it.
Old 11th June 2013, 12:47   #984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lack of RAM? But how?
It has 512 MB RAM. Which is more that what is required for running multiple applications. In fact you would never need to visit task manager or task killer application - the way one does in Android.

In android even 1 GB RAM causes freeze ups and slow hangs ...

Lumia 620 is good.
Please do note that there are some quirks in WP8 (some of those I have highlighted on this thread) ... none serious, but it can be irritating for those coming from android.
Old 11th June 2013, 14:33   #985
BHPian

Quote:

Android has kind of given people a picture of high hardware specs. People believe more the RAM is better, but its not really true for Windows Phone or even iOS for that matter.

512 MB is more than sufficient for WP8. Considering you are not much into gaming.

See if you can stretch your budget a little bit and go for 720. IMO it has better features & hardware.
PS: It also has 512MB RAM.
Old 12th June 2013, 00:25   #986

There are many new games like temple run 2 which doesnt work on 512 mb ram so they wont b available for these lumias and even lumia 720 has this major drwaback of RAM being 512mb which has been criticised by almost every reviewer.Apart from some games and heavier apps, windows OS works smoothly.
Old 12th June 2013, 10:53   #987
Team-BHP Support

I am again thinking about Lumia 720 as possible replacement for my merely aging Motorola Defy. I don't ever play games or video on my phone. So 512MB RAM shouldn't bother me. In 1989 I was using a PC with 256K RAM.

I heard that the battery life of 720 is truly phenomenal, any first hand experience among BHPians? I know TBHP app doesn't exist on WP8, what other cons?
Old 12th June 2013, 11:00   #988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What other cons?
Well, cons is a rather subjective issue. Varies from one person to another. I would recommend that you check out a functioning demo piece at your nearest Nokia dealer and then decide. I bought a L920 on the day of it's launch and am extremely happy with it.

Last edited by vikram_d : 12th June 2013 at 11:02.
Old 12th June 2013, 11:03   #989
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Well, cons is a rather subjective issue.
I mean from an Android user perspective. Knowing I am a highly satisfied Defy user, many here would know what would be the cons for me.
Old 12th June 2013, 11:25   #990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am again thinking about Lumia 720 as possible replacement for my merely aging Motorola Defy. I don't ever play games or video on my phone. So 512MB RAM shouldn't bother me. In 1989 I was using a PC with 256K RAM.

I heard that the battery life of 720 is truly phenomenal, any first hand experience among BHPians? I know TBHP app doesn't exist on WP8, what other cons?
Ditto same query from me

I hear the camera is pretty good on this. Also i here RAM will be a bottleneck for a teenager who wants heavy gaming. For typical usage for those above 30, I hope its enough

The Cons i have listed :
1. 512 MB RAM
2. Nokia HERE maps are no where close to google maps
3. TBHP missing. You are part of TBHP support right ? I am counting on you on this.
4. Youtube missing - I heard they are working on this.
5. Possibility of upgrades to newer Windows versions ??
6. Apps cant be stored on SD Card. With internal memory of 4-5GB, i hope this is not an issue

The positives:
1. Win8, I dont have to keep browsing new custom ROM and how to root my phone. UI is refreshing, clean.
2. Camera - I havent seen in real, but from the reviews, it appears good
3. Office suite - Supposed to be well integrated. perfect for work.

Other option i am considering currently is Sony Xperia L. Sony is claiming this to be a camera phone, but reviews are saying otherwise about the quality. which is a let down for me.

Let me know your decision. Both Xperia L and 720 are available for around 16K on ebay i guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks