Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2013, 11:46   #1156
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Guys

Is there an update called 'Amber' for Lumia phones? I have a lumia 720 since a week and heard someone mentioning about it.
I too am waiting for this update for my 720. I keep checking this page for the availability:
http://www.nokia.com/global/support/...-asia-pacific/

The update for 620 became available yesterday.
Old 6th September 2013, 12:53   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Yes there and it is about to be released in the next few days. You can check manually for the update by going to Settings > Phone Update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I too am waiting for this update for my 720. I keep checking this page for the availability:
http://www.nokia.com/global/support/...-asia-pacific/

The update for 620 became available yesterday.
Thanks guys. Do post an update as soon as it is released.

By the way, a pal brought me news that the Nokia Service Centers are selling a Nokia standby charger for around 1500 bucks. I believe that once you charge it, you can charge your Lumia 3 times. It is supposed to hold the charge for 10 days, if not used. Has anyone bought it? Any reviews?

Last edited by vnabhi : 6th September 2013 at 12:56.
Old 6th September 2013, 13:35   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. Do post an update as soon as it is released.

By the way, a pal brought me news that the Nokia Service Centers are selling a Nokia standby charger for around 1500 bucks. I believe that once you charge it, you can charge your Lumia 3 times. It is supposed to hold the charge for 10 days, if not used. Has anyone bought it? Any reviews?
The product your friend is refering must be this portable charger DC -16

http://www.nokia.com/in-en/accessories/accessory/dc-16/

This is available @ Rs.1150/- @ Flipkart. I have this charger 2200mAh which can charge your mobile maximum twice depending on your battery.

Kiran
Old 6th September 2013, 15:53   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
The product your friend is refering must be this portable charger DC -16

http://www.nokia.com/in-en/accessories/accessory/dc-16/

This is available @ Rs.1150/- @ Flipkart. I have this charger 2200mAh which can charge your mobile maximum twice depending on your battery.

Kiran
Many thanks. Looks like he was quoted an inflated figure. Any idea how many times this can be used to charge a Lumia 720?
Old 6th September 2013, 15:58   #1160
BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks. Looks like he was quoted an inflated figure. Any idea how many times this can be used to charge a Lumia 720?
Lumia 720 has a 2000mAh battery and the charger capacity is 2200mAh. Hence slightly more than once if your mobile is fully drained. I own a Lumia 720 hence I am sure of this.

Kiran

Last edited by kiren : 6th September 2013 at 16:02.
Old 6th September 2013, 22:34   #1161
Team-BHP Support

Okay so more I discover the lumia the I wonder whether I am stupid, or whether the win os is dumb

I seriously hope is my stupidity because if the things I am going to talk about are actually win limitations I would recommend that they shut down the mobile phone business because nobody should suffer this.
Exhibit a
I have a pdf on the phone. I want it to email it to someone using gmail. So I open Gmail select attach. And it just shows me pictures. Well maybe I will open the app and click share. Well share says I need to first upload it to skydrive and send link. Voila I cannot email a 10kb doc

Exhibit b
I have tonnes of ebooks I read using an app called thedumbuseme.
I discover a better app called forsmarteridiots
So what now. If I delete old app my ebooks are gone? Do I re download them?

Exhibit c
I have a pdf in Microsoft viewer called a555g4g2u.pdf
Is actually a lecture on relativity and I want to refer to it by a meaningful name. Where is the rename option?

I am hoping against hope that there is a way to accomplish this without a computer. If there is not then win phones are not smartphones but feature phones.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 6th September 2013 at 22:37.
Old 6th September 2013, 23:47   #1162
Senior - BHPian

Check this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2843774

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Exhibit a
I have a pdf on the phone. I want it to email it to someone using gmail. So I open Gmail select attach. And it just shows me pictures. Well maybe I will open the app and click share. Well share says I need to first upload it to skydrive and send link. Voila I cannot email a 10kb doc
Item 21 in the above list.
Quote:
Exhibit c
I have a pdf in Microsoft viewer called a555g4g2u.pdf
Is actually a lecture on relativity and I want to refer to it by a meaningful name. Where is the rename option?
Item 16 in the same list.
Old 7th September 2013, 08:36   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Okay so more I discover the lumia the I wonder whether I am stupid, or whether the win os is dumb

I seriously hope is my stupidity because if the things I am going to talk about are actually win limitations I would recommend that they shut down the mobile phone business because nobody should suffer this.
Exhibit a
I have a pdf on the phone. I want it to email it to someone using gmail.
Maybe this app can help: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...6-fad9dcf72178
Old 7th September 2013, 16:59   #1164
Team-BHP Support

Hmm pdf send.
If its a svg file? I use svg send.
If its a docx I use a docxsend
This is seriously LOL.
Is this a OS or a joke? Its a good thing that the user of this phone needs it only for mapping, clicking pics, and some basic web surfing.
But after seeing that post pointed out to me, its even comical to consider Win mobile to be a proper operating system. Its a featurephone masquerading as a smartphone at best.
Old 8th September 2013, 08:17   #1165
BHPian

Let's thank God we don't need an app for turning the device on/off Seriously, this OS has the potential to spoil your otherwise perfect mood because of its limitations for so called security
The sole reason for going for this 520 was the excellent Nokia hardware backed by the fact that you don't have better options under 10K
Old 8th September 2013, 12:46   #1166
BANNED

Quote:
If its a docx I use a docxsend
Googling seems to indicate that all office documents can be attached to email through office hub.
Quote:
Is this a OS or a joke? Its a good thing that the user of this phone needs it only for mapping, clicking pics, and some basic web surfing.
But after seeing that post pointed out to me, its even comical to consider Win mobile to be a proper operating system. Its a featurephone masquerading as a smartphone at best.
Agree - lot of important stuff is missing - I couldn't recommend anyone buy anything more expensive than a 520 as of now.

However, this is early times for Windows yet. Early Android versions didn't do Exchange Email, didn't allow you use the phones 2G/3G from your laptop through USB or Wifi, didn't allow you to search through SMS etc. Windows will get more mature in a year or so, I think - till then it doesn't make sense to buy expensive Windows phone & people aren't really doing so. Most of Nokia sales come from the Lumia 520.

For me, the lack of Swype or a Swype like keyboard would be a big problem. I am so used now to HTC Android's own free version of Swype like keyboard that I cannot think of a phone without it. I struggled heavily with typing stuff on my phone - till I discovered this feature which isn't on by default.

Last edited by carboy : 8th September 2013 at 12:51.
Old 9th September 2013, 15:58   #1167
Team-BHP Support

How do you download Nokia Care Suite? I want to connect my phone to windows 7 laptop for syncing stuff and loading contacts from a csv file.
Old 9th September 2013, 16:47   #1168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do you download Nokia Care Suite? I want to connect my phone to windows 7 laptop for syncing stuff and loading contacts from a csv file.
Contacts sync doesn't need any tool. You just need to login to your Hotmail account from the PC and import the csv file. After this, it'll get synced with your phone as part of the account sync.

I have an HTC, so not sure about Nokia Care Suite but the generic WP8 sync tool for Win 7 is available in below link:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/Ho...pp-for-desktop
Old 9th September 2013, 18:14   #1169
Senior - BHPian

My Nokia syncs with Gmail account. For migrating from Symbian phone I hade to export to the Gmail account and then sync with the windows phone.
Old 9th September 2013, 19:28   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
My Nokia syncs with Gmail account. For migrating from Symbian phone I hade to export to the Gmail account and then sync with the windows phone.
Any account would work - Hotmail, gmail, yahoo, facebook, twitter, linkedin etc. Only downside is that you cannot filter it to just the contacts which have a phone number associated to them. Not sure if this has changed, since I did the account setup etc when WP7 was launched and just migrated to WP8 a few months back.

I chose hotmail because I didn't want my email-only contacts to come up in the contact list and Hotmail was my only account which was clean (no contacts saved already )

You can always link/unlink other accounts at a later point. So I'd recommend all your phone contacts on a standalone account for ease of transfer/migration later.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks