Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2013, 11:59   #1291
BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
My 720 has been hanging way too frequently nowadays. Strange thing is I've not installed any new apps and this started only last week. When I try to answer a call, the screen freezes and I can't select any option . Only thing I can do is lock and then unlock to answer the call. Even apps have started to crash. Anybody experiencing this? Or am I alone? I've not had this after doing the amber update.
Yes, I had seen this after the Amber update. When the call comes, the touch input does not respond. This happens randomly. I think, after some update - either touch or display, this was fixed.

Quote:
Also, did anyone notice when you open the touch option in setting some options quickly disappear and only sensitivity remains.
Yes, I can see it too. It is the setting for 'double tap to wake up'. It is not enabled in NL720 for some reason.
Old 4th November 2013, 14:16   #1292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I bought a NL 520 3 days back. It came with the amber update. I am facing the following problems already: 1) Whenever I press the space bar 'full stop'(.) appears. This is very irritating especially when you are typing very fast. 2) The phone takes a few seconds to load apps and other things. 3) The phone has been hanging as well. I am using the memory card of my old phone. Could this be the cause of the problem no. 2 and 3. Should I get a new memory card? P.S: Its a September manufactured phone.
I just checked my 520 and I see that a double space quickly results in a full stop.

Phone taking a few seconds happens to me as well. Specially apps like whatsapp. The mail and browser though are much faster without any lag. So I am thinking its more to do with the app you are trying to open. Which app are you trying to open? Just to quantify, opening my email app took less than a second and similar for a browser. But whatsapp took about 7 seconds to fully come up for me to start using it.
Old 4th November 2013, 14:32   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babuda View Post
Almost certain the memory card is the culprit here. I was using an 8 GB Sandisk Memory Card from my old Nokia 5233. I used to face the same problem on my 720 (phone / apps freezing or hanging) and took it to Nokia Care. They removed the memory card and voila! problem solved. Got a new memory card later.
Are you serious? I used a Nokia 5230 before the NL720 and just plonked the old Memory Card into the new phone without formatting or any such thing. Will a format or a new card fix my Screen Freeze issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
2) The phone takes a few seconds to load apps and other things.
That also depends on the app that you're trying to open. For eg. WhatsApp takes ages(comparatively) to open because the app has seen slow progress on the WP8 platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Yes, I had seen this after the Amber update. When the call comes, the touch input does not respond. This happens randomly. I think, after some update - either touch or display, this was fixed.

Yes, I can see it too. It is the setting for 'double tap to wake up'. It is not enabled in NL720 for some reason.
My touch input still acts up when I get a call sometimes. I'll need to check if the Memory Card swap works.
Old 4th November 2013, 14:43   #1294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Are you serious? I used a Nokia 5230 before the NL720 and just plonked the old Memory Card into the new phone without formatting or any such thing. Will a format or a new card fix my Screen Freeze issues? My touch input still acts up when I get a call sometimes. I'll need to check if the Memory Card swap works.
Dead Serious! I reset the phone several times to get rid of the problem before I approached Nokia Care who just took out the old memory card and the phone started working fine. I didn't try formatting and re-using the old card because the service center people stated that a lot of old cards are not compatible with Lumia phones. Subsequently, I bought a NL 820 for my son and a new Memory Card along with it. He has never faced any problems whatsoever.

Regarding slow opening of apps eg: whatsapp, a recent update (last week) has made it much smoother.
Old 4th November 2013, 22:27   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babuda View Post
Dead Serious! I reset the phone several times to get rid of the problem before I approached Nokia Care who just took out the old memory card and the phone started working fine. I didn't try formatting and re-using the old card because the service center people stated that a lot of old cards are not compatible with Lumia phones. Subsequently, I bought a NL 820 for my son and a new Memory Card along with it. He has never faced any problems whatsoever.

Have you put a new card in your 720? Do you encounter the problems still?

I've been wanting to upgrade to a Class 10 card anyway, now looks like I more than enough reason to as well!
Old 5th November 2013, 02:22   #1296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Could be a possibility. I've faced similar issues on my Nokia Asha when I used my old memory card. My suggestion would be to try out a new card which is formatted as per your phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Are you pressing the space bar twice? Pressing the space bar twice will give a fullstop. I am not sure if there is an option to disable it. Probably the experts can help.
Quote:
1. If you choose the word suggestion and press the space quickly, a full stop is inserted. If you wait a second, then an actual space is inserted. Actually a space is automatically inserted if you choose word suggestion. You can access all settings under Settings-> Keyboard-> English (or any other installed keyboard). Click on the installed keyboard to change settings.

2, 3. I would also suggest to change the memory card. Or remove the card and see if the situation improves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I just checked my 520 and I see that a double space quickly results in a full stop.

Phone taking a few seconds happens to me as well. Specially apps like whatsapp. The mail and browser though are much faster without any lag. So I am thinking its more to do with the app you are trying to open. Which app are you trying to open? Just to quantify, opening my email app took less than a second and similar for a browser. But whatsapp took about 7 seconds to fully come up for me to start using it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Are you serious? I used a Nokia 5230 before the NL720 and just plonked the old Memory Card into the new phone without formatting or any such thing. Will a format or a new card fix my Screen Freeze issues?

That also depends on the app that you're trying to open. For eg. WhatsApp takes ages(comparatively) to open because the app has seen slow progress on the WP8 platform.

My touch input still acts up when I get a call sometimes. I'll need to check if the Memory Card swap works.
I discovered this today that by pressing a word suggestion and then tapping the space bar does insert a full stop. I guess thats just my android habit. I will get myself a new 16 GB San Disk then. I think it will solve issue no 3.

I am facing a few more problems. I will write them down tomorrow.

Update about the phone: I installed SKYPE and the experience was very very good. I could use the back camera if I want. The voice quality was also very clear and crisp. It was obviously on WIFI. I just wished I had a front camera now.
Old 5th November 2013, 15:54   #1297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I use a BB and have two androids. Looking forward to get the 925.

I don't think there is a mobile that can beat BB's keyboard though.
Android need lot of battery juice and are sluggish in most cases. I also have a Nexus 4.Its fast ( so is 925/920) but battery life is bad.

Nexus is bulkier than the 925 and heavier too I guess. Guess the best Win 8 phone around is the 925.
Window'd atlast! Got Lumia 925! What a sleek sexy solid phone

Have to get used to menus and stuff now. Switching off WiFi/Bluetooth was easier on Android. Maybe a noobie thing or maybe its so Windows.
Old 5th November 2013, 17:16   #1298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Switching off WiFi/Bluetooth was easier on Android. Maybe a noobie thing or maybe its so Windows.
There are a few connectivity shortcut apps in store that you can pin to the home screen. That should make it a lot easier.
Old 5th November 2013, 17:16   #1299
BHPian

Quote:

Window'd atlast! Got Lumia 925! What a sleek sexy solid phone

Have to get used to menus and stuff now. Switching off WiFi/Bluetooth was easier on Android. Maybe a noobie thing or maybe its so Windows.
There are many apps like 'easy connect' which you can download from the store. It will help you in having shortcuts like Bluetooth/GPS/WiFi/Data on your home screen tiles. Just pin those shortcuts to your tile screen. That will be helpful

Last edited by Turbokick : 5th November 2013 at 17:19.
Old 7th November 2013, 15:21   #1300
BHPian

Guys,

Using Lumia 520. Have 2 queries wrt Windows OS on phone.

1. Is there a battery app that can be used as a live tile which, will auto update the battery consumption without the need of the internet. My current battery app only updates the battery status when the internet is on.

2. I am unable to upload video's in whatsapp from the gallery. When I try to do so, the only option that shows up is to use the camera for recording, i.e. Any existing video in the phone cannot be uploaded via whatsapp. Is this the way Whatsapp works on windows or am I missing a trick here.

Cheers
Old 7th November 2013, 16:22   #1301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
But whatsapp took about 7 seconds to fully come up for me to start using it.
True, Whatsapp takes a very long time! Today, I tried pinning the contact to the home screen, and it loads the chat window much faster, in about 3 seconds. Good if you have only a few people that you chat often with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Guys,

Using Lumia 520. Have 2 queries wrt Windows OS on phone.

1. Is there a battery app that can be used as a live tile which, will auto update the battery consumption without the need of the internet. My current battery app only updates the battery status when the internet is on.
You can install "Insider" app, one of the best apps on the marketplace.

Reg, the video attachment on Whatapp, i think it is a limitation.

Last edited by bejoy : 7th November 2013 at 16:34.
Old 7th November 2013, 19:21   #1302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a battery app that can be used as a live tile which, will auto update the battery consumption without the need of the internet. My current battery app only updates the battery status when the internet is on.
There is an app available called 'Insider' that has a battery status live tile and lots of other amazing features. Try it.
Old 7th November 2013, 19:36   #1303
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You can install "Insider" app, one of the best apps on the marketplace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
There is an app available called 'Insider' that has a battery status live tile and lots of other amazing features. Try it.
Thanks, this is indeed a great App. Just installed
Old 8th November 2013, 10:41   #1304
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, Using Lumia 520. Have 2 queries wrt Win 2. I am unable to upload video's in whatsapp from the gallery. When I try to do so, the only option that shows up is to use the camera for recording, i.e. Any existing video in the phone cannot be uploaded via whatsapp. Is this the way Whatsapp works on windows or am I missing a trick here. Cheers
You cannot send audio and video files on whatsapp. You have to record it live and send. That's the way it is on windows.
Old 8th November 2013, 12:32   #1305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You cannot send audio and video files on whatsapp. You have to record it live and send. That's the way it is on windows.
Is this a step brotherly treatment BY whatsapp to the windows environment?
As far as I know the apps can access the space meant for audio/video/documents.
And what makes it even more phunny is that I can send PHOTOS/PIX on whatsapp.

(not talking about taking a live snapshot)

Last edited by alpha1 : 8th November 2013 at 12:44.

Most Viewed