Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:20   #1381
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

My dad is using a 1.5 yrs Old Lumia 710. Still going strong. He is a very basic user. Whatsapp, emails, sms, calls. has a few time pass apps installed but nothing major.

I am looking to gift him a more newer Lumia. Win 8 supported. I was checking out Lumia 720 but then i noticed that all the 20's are now getting upgraded models to 25's. 520 > 525, 620 > 625 etc.

Lumia 720 I hear has an amazing battery life and a very good camera. Dad loves to use that camera every now and then. I was comparing the Lumia 525 vs Lumia 720 and i understand that Lumia 525 has a 1GB Ram compared to 512 MB of the Lumia 720. Is that a MAJOR deal breaker for a basic basic user? Will that affect the future OS upgrades?

Whats the street price for Lumia 720 these days? And expected price for Lumia 525? I gain the 512 MB RAM in 525 but loose out on bigger battery and the LED Flash.

Please advise.

Regards,
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:49   #1382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
..As for feedback on the phone, I'll come up with a detailed post on the positives/negatives of the phone (& OS) in a day or so. Expect a lot of nagging "gaps" to be highlighted & direct comparisons with Android & Apple products.
When can we expect a detailed review of the same? Eagerly waiting to finalize the deal.Thanks.
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:36   #1383
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
My dad is using a 1.5 yrs Old Lumia 710. Still going strong. He is a very basic user. Whatsapp, emails, sms, calls. has a few time pass apps installed but nothing major.

I am looking to gift him a more newer Lumia. Win 8 supported. I was checking out Lumia 720 but then i noticed that all the 20's are now getting upgraded models to 25's. 520 > 525, 620 > 625 etc.
You should probably look at the 625. The camera is decent and the battery-life is pretty good too.
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:39   #1384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Lumia 720 I hear has an amazing battery life and a very good camera. Dad loves to use that camera every now and then. I was comparing the Lumia 525 vs Lumia 720 and i understand that Lumia 525 has a 1GB Ram compared to 512 MB of the Lumia 720. Is that a MAJOR deal breaker for a basic basic user? Will that affect the future OS upgrades?
1GB RAM is deal breaker only if you are into high end games. Other than some of these games, I haven't come across many apps that doesn't work on 512MB. For regular use, 512MB is more than enough. Again, a pathetic developer can make an app that might be slow on even a 1GB RAM but then most good apps don't need more than 512.

I would recommend 720 over the 52X series.
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:43   #1385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I just got this from the windows phone website reg "Add File Manager to Windows Phone":
(No Status) → Completed

This feature is now available in Windows Phone 8.
And as always, if you think this feature or any other feature needs improvement be sure to create new product suggestions so we can track them all and other users can vote on your ideas. And while we can’t promise to ship every suggestion that gets submitted, we will be sure that our product development team receives your feedback. We’re always listening!
I don't see any file manager as such in WP8 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Does anyone else also face this peculiar issue with Adobe PDF reader?
1. If I open the PDF doc from OFFICE, trying to open the second time results in this irritating message: ___.pdf already exists. Do you want to replace this file?

2. If you say "no" to above, then exit the Office app, and go to Adobe app. You will find the same file shown twice!

3. If you press "yes" to the above message (which you won't because you might be afraid - what is this replace/overwrite thing) then you won't find duplicates.

4. Curiously, there are no duplicates in the Office space.
BUMP AGAIN!
Old 2nd December 2013, 19:02   #1386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

BUMP AGAIN!
All those are bugs with Adobe Reader. If you open a PDF attachment from an email, it saves a local copy of that PDF file and when to open the same PDF again it gives you the file already exists error.

This is the only reason I use the PDF Reader app from Microsoft. Even though it may not have as many features as the Adobe Reader app, I find it works well for my kind of usage.
Old 5th December 2013, 17:12   #1387
BHPian

Looking to buy a New Headset for my Lumia 520 . Only Philips and Panasonic headsets are compatible as Per flipkart . Any body Using skullkandy headsets with Lumia 520 . Are they Compatible ?

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 5th December 2013 at 17:13.
Old 5th December 2013, 19:30   #1388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Looking to buy a New Headset for my Lumia 520 . Only Philips and Panasonic headsets are compatible as Per flipkart . Any body Using skullkandy headsets with Lumia 520 . Are they Compatible ?
What do you mean only Philips and Panasonic are compatible? Doesn't Lumia 520 come with the 3.5mm slot for audio out?
Old 6th December 2013, 00:39   #1389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
What do you mean only Philips and Panasonic are compatible? Doesn't Lumia 520 come with the 3.5mm slot for audio out?
I doubt that - my bose headphones work perfectly fine, so do some cheap earphones I have.

P.s. I own a 925 - but I guess the audio jack should be same for all lumia phones.

Btw on an note the output is nowhere equal to the levels I used to get on poweramp (on my android phone).
Old 6th December 2013, 07:26   #1390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think there are any compatibility issues. I am using MEElectronics earphones and Mediabridge 3.5mm AUX cable with my 720. Both work absolutely fine.
Old 6th December 2013, 07:34   #1391
Team-BHP Support

I normally use Sennheiser earphones with my Lumia 625, and my wife uses her Sony headphones if she use my phone to watch videos. No issues with those, but I found compatibility issues with Apple earphones. Tried the earphones which came with my old iPhone 5, and it gave a hissing background noise.
Old 6th December 2013, 08:47   #1392
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nokia Lumia 1020 41MP Pureview Tech Demystified

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
I bought Lumia 920 for my wife for below reasons:

-Simple OS. everything mostly used is just a click away.
-Amazing Camera with real widescreen and low light photo capabilities. Never used flash!

Annoying things:
-Single volume control for all audio. If i reduce volume in game, its reduces in rings!!
-Not very matured 3rd party apps
-No 3G video calling like Samsung

I use Motorola Atrix 2 which is never say die phone! But I really love Lumia 920
Use Atrix 2 and 925

Its fun to do demo of Atrix 2 ( free fall to carpet etc :P) Great built quality!

Check out these apps:

Hill Climb Racing ( the only game I have)
File Explorer
Old 6th December 2013, 08:53   #1393
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I just got this from the windows phone website reg "Add File Manager to Windows Phone":
(No Status) → Completed

This feature is now available in Windows Phone 8.
And as always, if you think this feature or any other feature needs improvement be sure to create new product suggestions so we can track them all and other users can vote on your ideas. And while we can’t promise to ship every suggestion that gets submitted, we will be sure that our product development team receives your feedback. We’re always listening!
Quote:
Guys, this was a false intimation. I too got that mail because I had voted for this feature in the portal.

They sent a mail again later, which read:

Quote:
This requests were mistakenly marked as completed

Mobile Guru
Admin, Windows Phone
Microsoft withdraws Completed Status from Windows Phone File Manager and SD card app storage requests

I believe a file manager will be released later on by MS. There is an unofficial app. although there are issues with it.
Old 6th December 2013, 10:34   #1394
Senior - BHPian

I still don't see much point in a file manager.
Unless you allow the apps to have the permissions to view the whole memory ...
Old 6th December 2013, 14:07   #1395
gemi_kk

Guys,
would someone please tell me if there are any problems with Lumia 625.

My current phone is dead and i need another phone immideately. I dont have time to research see and then to visit malls.

My only concern is with the following:
- Display Quality. Images. video's etc.
- Playing HD Video's (Can it play smoothly, unlike some android counterparts?)
- Call quality.
Rest of the features seem ok to me. I dont need a camera.

Also, in this price range, which other brand phones could be considered. (Excluding Micromax, carbon, etc.)

Last edited by gemi_kk : 6th December 2013 at 14:08. Reason: Adding questions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks