Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2013, 19:32   #1411
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Yesterday, I went to Croma to check out lumia 720 for my wife. She needs a easy to use phone with good camera, free music streaming and good battery life and hence lumia 720. My budget is also not more than 15K.

Croma sales man said that there are some reported problems in 720. He suggested 625. Can any user confirm about problems in 720?
That is plain bullshit. He's trying to hard-sell the 625.

I'm using mine for the past 3 months without any issue. Only one minor issue had cropped up with the speaker after using a headphone for the first time, but a soft reset did the trick. I also had to soft reset once more for some other issue, but such niggles are with the Windows software and not the Lumia series.
Old 8th December 2013, 19:43   #1412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Any good live tile/app for displaying the current battery status on the start screen of Nokia lumia 925. Thanks.

Ditto here. There are two "Battery" applications - this is one I use. But the live tile is slightly slow (at times) in updating the actual battery rate (by +/- 5%). Otherwise quite a decent app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi
I've downloaded an app named 'Battery' on my Lumia 720.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
You can download the app called Insider. Pretty useful one!
Nice app!

On a OT note, if not an issue, possible to share a list of 3rd party applications that you use? Unlike Android/iOS the windows store is a bit hard to dig out the interesting applications.
Old 8th December 2013, 19:51   #1413
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
On a OT note, if not an issue, possible to share a list of 3rd party applications that you use? Unlike Android/iOS the windows store is a bit hard to dig out the interesting applications.
I have not downloaded many apps. Only have the regular social media apps (facebook, whatsapp etc.), notes, and all the available Nokia free apps. All other applications are games like angry birds for my girl, and those are tiled in the kids corner, so that she can directly access her home screen and open up the games she likes

If I happen to find/download any interesting app, 'll share it here.
Old 8th December 2013, 21:40   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I also had to soft reset once more for some other issue, but such niggles are with the Windows software and not the Lumia series.
My sister reports that her 720 simply reboots by itself once in a while. Is that too a known Windows software niggle?
Old 8th December 2013, 21:44   #1415
BHPian

Quote:
I agree on this part. The 720 is a pretty great handset. I have been using mine for over 5 months. There are a few niggles here and there, but they are prevalent on my dad's note 2 as well. The issue is with WP platform or lack of RAM which requires an upgrade to 925 AFAIK. It is only my whatsapp that lags. The phone is good enough.

However IMHO, if you are buying a phone for your wife, the 625 is a good curvy option.

Quote:

As of now, I use Adobe Reader, AI Wallpaper HD, BMS, Flashlight XT, Instagram, Private Lite, VLC Mobile Remote and True Caller along with Whatsapp.
Old 8th December 2013, 22:14   #1416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Typically, whenever I feel I need to do something via the phone, I check the store and most likely I'll find the app there. Install should take another couple of minutes. So you need not worry about installing them in advance for future use. Except for big games, most other apps are small size and can be downloaded over a data connection.

Some of the useful apps in my current list:
Bookmyshow - only in case you decide for a movie while on the move.
Dominos - only in case you ever order their pizza
Ebay/Flipkart - if you want to check the online price of something you see in a store.
ESPNCricinfo/Cricbuzz
Flashlight - only for phones with LED flash
gMaps - navigation while on move
Handyscan - some other alternative to scan documents
IRCTC - in case you travel by train, official app
PC Remote - if you are too lazy and want to control your computer from the couch using WiFi while watching TV
TV Guide - for channel listings, though they've screwed up their UI with their last update and I'm looking for an alternative now.

+ news channels, newspapers, banks, mobile providers etc may or may not have an app depending on what you depend on. Search for them too in the store.

For any WP user from Kerala, Malayala Manorama app is really good if you want to read the news in Malayalam.
Old 9th December 2013, 08:30   #1417
BHPian

Quote:

I'm using mine for the past 3 months without any issue. Only one minor issue had cropped up with the speaker after using a headphone for the first time, but a soft reset did the trick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
I agree on this part. The 720 is a pretty great handset. I have been using mine for over 5 months. There are a few niggles here and there, but they are prevalent on my dad's note 2 as well.

However IMHO, if you are buying a phone for your wife, the 625 is a good curvy option.
Thanks friends, gives me enough confidence to go with 720. Its nicely priced at about 15K in flipkart with option for 10% cash back on SBI cards.

625 is very good, but a bit bigger in my size.
Old 9th December 2013, 11:21   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Thanks friends, gives me enough confidence to go with 720. Its nicely priced at about 15K in flipkart with option for 10% cash back on SBI cards.

625 is very good, but a bit bigger in my size.
Even the 620 is a good option if you want for your female counterpart.

The only difference I see between the 625 and 720 is a 20% increase in the processing power on the 625 which isn't noticeable.
Old 9th December 2013, 12:11   #1419
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The only difference I see between the 625 and 720 is a 20% increase in the processing power on the 625 which isn't noticeable.
OT: A bit curious with your statement. What's the difference if the phone is for female counterpart?
Old 9th December 2013, 12:28   #1420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
OT: A bit curious with your statement. What's the difference if the phone is for female counterpart?
Ignore my sentiments, but the phone is a little curvy for male needs.
Old 9th December 2013, 12:42   #1421
BHPian

Quote:
I liked 620 as well. But it has less than 4 inch screen, less battery life. Also 720 has better camera probably, and my wife uses camera a lot.
Old 9th December 2013, 23:00   #1422
Senior - BHPian

If any of you have an issue with the Windows Store not showing updates automatically, try this. I found it on WPCentral and it worked perfectly on my L720.

1) Reset the date to 08/January/2011.
2) Restart the phone
3) As soon as it switches on, set the correct date and time.
4) Turn the Set Time Automatically slider to "On".
5) Go back to your main screen.

Your Windows Store must now be showing you the updates you've missed. I had 8 of them!

Also, I'm not sure if it's found a mention here already. If it hasn't,
WhatsApp for Windows Phone will finally be able to attach Pre-Recorded Videos and save incoming videos on WhatsApp!

Source: http://www.wpcentral.com/whatsapp-ge...ecorded-videos
Old 10th December 2013, 17:34   #1423
BHPian

Is there any way to search phonebook using address field? Most of Linked-in, facebook contacts have address fields (map work address, map home address). I want to find people staying in a particular city.
Old 10th December 2013, 18:55   #1424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Is there any way to search phonebook using address field? Most of Linked-in, facebook contacts have address fields (map work address, map home address). I want to find people staying in a particular city.
Search cannot be performed on the address fields. As of now search only works on the First Name, Last Name and Company Name fields.
Old 11th December 2013, 17:09   #1425
Senior - BHPian

I face a pretty peculiar problem with my 520.
Sometimes when it hangs, you can't operate the touchscreen. And you can't shut it down (slide down to poweroff - how will you slide down when the touchscreen has become unresponsive)
So I take off the battery and restart.
Now when I start the phone - the time and date are all crapped.
I mean it is not correct. Like just now it was showing 11 am, 2 Dec 2013!

I have to restart again to get back the right date and time!

This has happened quite consistently ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks