Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2005, 13:56   #1
BHPian

Any reviews on the Sony ericsson P910i??

Hey guys planning to buy the sony ericsson P910i..... has anyone used it??? or knows anything about it??? Now i dunt know anyrthing about cell phones..... but i was wondering if i can edit and open excel files on the P910i (since thats my basic requirement)??? and which are the other unique features?? I also heard that its got one of the best camera also...with a 262K colour screen!!
Old 28th April 2005, 15:22   #2
BHPian

hey jigar.. not too sure about the 910i... but i use the p900... excellent peice except for the size...

as for excel/word.... may not be really helpful.. as the screen doesn't do justice to a spreadsheet... good for reading e books tho'

i excel is what u are looking for .. check the nokia communicator.... or if you are okay operating without a keypad check out O2 mini...

cheers
Old 28th April 2005, 16:04   #3
BHPian

I'd used the P910i for a few weeks when i was in the U.K last.It's got really good features,it's a bit too big for comfort.One can really do without a PDA with this phone.....like Vivaid says,the N9300 or 9500 might be better for working on Excel worksheets,though it works fine on the 910i also.
Old 29th April 2005, 12:25   #4
BANNED

the camera isnt the best around. my bets are still on the xda mini first then the 910i.
Old 29th April 2005, 12:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigarmuni
Hey guys planning to buy the sony ericsson P910i..... has anyone used it??? or knows anything about it??? Now i dunt know anyrthing about cell phones..... but i was wondering if i can edit and open excel files on the P910i (since thats my basic requirement)??? and which are the other unique features?? I also heard that its got one of the best camera also...with a 262K colour screen!!
If your requirement is mainly oriented towards excel sheets you should perhaps looks at the Nokia 9300/9500 or the bigger iMates (PDA2k which comes with WiFi and Edge as well).

However, the N9300 is a pain to operate sometimes because of the fact that it doesnt have a touch-screen. You are stuck with a tiny joystick kind of contraption which is not very easy to use or accurate. Especially when you're browsing a website and want to click on a link - you always miss the link and it gets very very frustrating.

No such issues with the iMate - what you click is what you get. The advantage with the iMate (aka the XDA/MDA/Qtek in different markets) is the phenomenal number of third party applications for every imaginable kind of need - it makes the PDA experience much more complete. YOu will never get that kind of an experience with a Symbian/UIQ phones (Nokia 9300/9500, P900i) because there arent as many developers on that platform churning out software.

I would recommend an iMate. The P900 is nice, but the screen is neither long nor wide which means you get a highly restricted experience. With the 9300/9500 you get a WIDE screen which is simply not long enough so you end up doing a lot of vertical scrolling with that miserable joystick. With the iMate, the size AND the screen aspect is JUST RIGHT (for me, at least) and it really feels like holding a little computer screen in your hands.

The only real advantage the P900i has over the Nokias and the iMates is that it comes with push email. However, both iMate and Nokia have just tied up with RIM provide the Blackberry client on the 9300/9500 so you should be able to get push email on them as well. If you are really keen on Push email you should also try www.alwaysonmail.com by Smartner which provides you with the push email capability WITHOUT requiring painful registration with the operator like a Blackberry. This solution is not operator dependent and you can enjoy Push Email services without your operators support - all you need is a GPRS connection, which is great if you travel across different countries.

I hope I have been able to help. I would personally take the P900i over the Nokia 9300 (the latter has no camera, no vibrate mode for a silent alert, no touchscreen, no push email built in and very few third party applications) and the iMate JAM or PDA2K (XDA Mini/MDA Compact/Qtek S100) over both these.

PS: The Nokia 9300 is very unbalanced - it will topple over backwards with the screen open at any angle > 90degrees. Which means you will have a very tough time looking at the screen unless you bring the device up to eye-level or your eyes down to the device level - IMHO you'd look pretty stupid trying to do this...
Old 29th April 2005, 13:40   #6
BHPian

hey steeriod....thanks so much mate...! This really did clear most of my doubts.....!! Since i am pretty blank about cell phones...!! Anwyas i guess...i should be going for an XDA mini or a P910i ....lets see...depending upon which one i like after using it!
Old 29th April 2005, 20:15   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Imo ..9300 is the best business phone around, much better than the 910i or for that matter even the 9500. Only drawback is that doesnt have a camera, but it looks neeat and is perfect size for a phone that is packed with a zillion features.
Old 30th April 2005, 02:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

I've been using the N9300 since couple of months and trust me its not that good.Firstly,it does not have a camera(i dont need it either).It has limited functions and is not that easy to operate.On top of it,one cannot download stuff from the internet on the N9300 as limited softwares are available.I'd suggest the N9500 over this fone to anyone.Even im planning to buy one over the 9300.
My brother is using the P910i.Its an excellent phone,with all the necessary features and an average camera.Its a VGA.But the clarity is better than some Nokia VGA cams.The only backdrop for the Sony is the Stylus.Its not that convenient to use.
The O2 is an excellent PDA,but too big.
Its like every fone has its share of dis-advantages in some way or the other.There is nothing like a perfect fone in the market.Only the N6600 has come very close to it,in my opinion.So jsut go out there and have a look at all these fones and then decide which one do you want to pick up.Afterall,its a matter of personal choice.

X

Last edited by X-Machine : 30th April 2005 at 02:10.
Old 30th April 2005, 11:44   #9
BANNED

i am looking out for a phone todayonwards.contenders are 6680, 6630, xda mini, 910i (i doubt), D500, S700i.
Old 30th April 2005, 12:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
Imo ..9300 is the best business phone around, much better than the 910i or for that matter even the 9500. Only drawback is that doesnt have a camera, but it looks neeat and is perfect size for a phone that is packed with a zillion features.
Beg to disagree, but there are many phones out in the market with much better features than a Nokia 9300. It is a good phone, but it doesnt measure up to competition. Reasons have been mentioned in my post earlier.

For size, convenience, features, compatability (with your desktop/laptop), availability of software applications (third party) and sheer versatality, there's nothing to beat the XDA mini / iMate JAM. Its a lot easier to handle than the N 9300/9500 and the P910 too.

Let me give you a sample list of what you can do with the XDA:

1. Make phone calls.
2. Use the Phone Keypad to look up contacts using T9 predictive text - to look up jesal just key in 53725, for eg.
3. Maintain your contacts using 28 available fields, store EVERYTHING including home address, work address, 8 telephone numbers, 3 fax numbers, 3 email ids, names of the contacts alternate numbers (secretary, for instance) and their telephone numbers, birthdays, homepage, anniversaries and stuff. I mean - you can store EVERYTHING you know about a person...obviously the contacts database will be synchronised with your outlook
4. Manage your schedule using calendar, synchronise the same with your outlook.
5. Send mail using POP3/SMTP/IMAP. You can also use GPRS to connect to the microsoft exchange server at work - so you're NEVER out of office...
6. Open word and excel files.
7. VIew and present powerpoint presentations. You can view on your phone and you can present from the phone (NO NEED OF LAPTOP) using IR or bluetooth to connect to the projecter.
8. VIew electronic documents using Adobe Acrobat.
9. Browse the internet using IE. With some minor enhancements available on the net you can also use IE for tabbed browsing.
10. Play so many games when you have nothing else to do.
11. Take pictures using the 1.3 megapixel camera, send them using MMS or email.
12. Take videos using the same camera (with a 1 GB card you can keep recording for a really long time!), send using MMS or email.
13. Play mp3s using Windows Media Player or any of the dozens of media players available online.
14. Use MSN Messenger, Agile Mobile or any of the IM clients available on the net to connect to your friends on MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, AOL or IRC.
15. Use Terminal Services Client to log on to your servers remotely and carry out administrative / troubleshooting tasks while outside the office.
16. USE SKYPE TO MAKE VOIP CALLS.
17. SEND A FAX FROM YOUR PHONE, USE YOUR PHONE TO RECEIVE FAXES.
18. Use your phone as a modem for your desktop or laptop if you need to do serious browsing for a long time.
19. Watch MPEG movies using Pocket TV.

and so much more. I use my Pocket PC to look up cocktail recipes (application available online), check out which direction I'm headed in (pocket compass), use Pocket GPS to navigate where available, view city maps (which are available online for major cities) when I'm in a new city, check out weather updates for the places I am travelling to, convert money, convert between different types of measures, send meeting requests over SMS or email.

There's also a lot of fun associated with the device - for instance you can set your favourite mp3 as a ringtone and play 'Stairway to Heaven' when your girlfriend calls or 'I want to break free' when your boss calls up.

I also use my Pocket PC to post on Team BHP (not this one, though!!!)
Old 30th April 2005, 13:26   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree that an XDA is in another league all together...it has way more to offer than any nokia or sony phone....but i personally hate XDA phones. After my experience with my iMate which i paid a bomb for, i realised not to experiment with XDA phones ever.... i almost banged my car a couple of times trying to punch something into the phone using that stylus pen. I also find XDA phones very unfriendly to use , it take along time to get used to it and its really the most convient phone around. But i guess it all boils down to personal choice.
Old 30th April 2005, 13:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
I agree that an XDA is in another league all together...it has way more to offer than any nokia or sony phone....but i personally hate XDA phones. After my experience with my iMate which i paid a bomb for, i realised not to experiment with XDA phones ever.... i almost banged my car a couple of times trying to punch something into the phone using that stylus pen. I also find XDA phones very unfriendly to use , it take along time to get used to it and its really the most convient phone around. But i guess it all boils down to personal choice.
XDA mini or Imate JAM is a much smaller version that fits neatly into your hands. Check it out - it much more handy than the other phones mentioned here - Nokia 9 series or P900 series
Old 30th April 2005, 13:32   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I had the regular iMate man... i heard about this new JAM and more compact versions of the iMate but i am totally off that brand now, dont see myself buying anythin but a Nokia.
Old 1st May 2005, 04:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Beg to disagree, but there are many phones out in the market with much better features than a Nokia 9300. It is a good phone, but it doesnt measure up to competition. Reasons have been mentioned in my post earlier.

For size, convenience, features, compatability (with your desktop/laptop), availability of software applications (third party) and sheer versatality, there's nothing to beat the XDA mini / iMate JAM. Its a lot easier to handle than the N 9300/9500 and the P910 too.

Let me give you a sample list of what you can do with the XDA:

1. Make phone calls.
2. Use the Phone Keypad to look up contacts using T9 predictive text - to look up jesal just key in 53725, for eg.
3. Maintain your contacts using 28 available fields, store EVERYTHING including home address, work address, 8 telephone numbers, 3 fax numbers, 3 email ids, names of the contacts alternate numbers (secretary, for instance) and their telephone numbers, birthdays, homepage, anniversaries and stuff. I mean - you can store EVERYTHING you know about a person...obviously the contacts database will be synchronised with your outlook
4. Manage your schedule using calendar, synchronise the same with your outlook.
5. Send mail using POP3/SMTP/IMAP. You can also use GPRS to connect to the microsoft exchange server at work - so you're NEVER out of office...
6. Open word and excel files.
7. VIew and present powerpoint presentations. You can view on your phone and you can present from the phone (NO NEED OF LAPTOP) using IR or bluetooth to connect to the projecter.
8. VIew electronic documents using Adobe Acrobat.
9. Browse the internet using IE. With some minor enhancements available on the net you can also use IE for tabbed browsing.
10. Play so many games when you have nothing else to do.
11. Take pictures using the 1.3 megapixel camera, send them using MMS or email.
12. Take videos using the same camera (with a 1 GB card you can keep recording for a really long time!), send using MMS or email.
13. Play mp3s using Windows Media Player or any of the dozens of media players available online.
14. Use MSN Messenger, Agile Mobile or any of the IM clients available on the net to connect to your friends on MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, AOL or IRC.
15. Use Terminal Services Client to log on to your servers remotely and carry out administrative / troubleshooting tasks while outside the office.
16. USE SKYPE TO MAKE VOIP CALLS.
17. SEND A FAX FROM YOUR PHONE, USE YOUR PHONE TO RECEIVE FAXES.
18. Use your phone as a modem for your desktop or laptop if you need to do serious browsing for a long time.
19. Watch MPEG movies using Pocket TV.

and so much more. I use my Pocket PC to look up cocktail recipes (application available online), check out which direction I'm headed in (pocket compass), use Pocket GPS to navigate where available, view city maps (which are available online for major cities) when I'm in a new city, check out weather updates for the places I am travelling to, convert money, convert between different types of measures, send meeting requests over SMS or email.

There's also a lot of fun associated with the device - for instance you can set your favourite mp3 as a ringtone and play 'Stairway to Heaven' when your girlfriend calls or 'I want to break free' when your boss calls up.

I also use my Pocket PC to post on Team BHP (not this one, though!!!)

Dude most of the features u mentioned are available in the p910 and N 9500. The only exception is I read is using Skype. And I personally dont like the JAM. How the hell do I dial when I am driving. The touch screen buttons are not at all convinient when u tap with your fingers.

I prefer the p910 over my JAM. It's a personal choice though.
Old 24th May 2005, 00:56   #15
BHPian

guys i have been using p800 - then upgraded to p900 and further to p910i -- this family of phones certainly rocks !!
p910i is a gr8 phone inspite of some small problems such as low battery life ( 1.5 days though ) , bulky to carry etc etc. the pocket pcs will beat it but look at the pros of p910i being a symbian os phone.. its faster than most ppcs the smart phones from nokia..
anyone in dillema to choose between SE P910i and the NOKIAS, go for the P910i and if you have the budget, simply go for the iMate JAM or O2 XDA IIs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks