Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2009, 07:49   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
For a lac here's a suggestion - Marantz CD6002, Marantz PM7001, Quad 12L2 or Epos M5. There'll be enough left for in the budget for decent interconnects. Someone has already posted a list of dealers.
This really would be the way to go for you in your budget. You either could get the Marantz combo with the Quad or Epos speakers or get a Cambridge Audio CDP and amp with the Quad or Epos speakers. Best value for money ..quite nice sound.

Cambridge- available at fx entertainmet at CR park
Marantz- khanmarket
EPOS/QUAD - im not sure in delhi but im sure you can get the dealer on th net somewhere. If its avaialble in calcutta im sure its there in delhi.

B&o-- if you are opting for this instead of Bose you would be going from the pan into the fire.. Both are realy marketing gimmicks with really bad sound are best left jsut to decorate the drawing room.

Last edited by sk456 : 12th February 2009 at 07:51.
Old 12th February 2009, 08:48   #47
BANNED

Quote:
For a lac here's a suggestion - Marantz CD6002, Marantz PM7001, Quad 12L2 or Epos M5. There'll be enough left for in the budget for decent interconnects. Someone has already posted a list of dealers.
Don't waste money on expensive cables. Cheap ones with decent shielding sound as good as the very expensive ones.
Old 12th February 2009, 09:53   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Don't waste money on expensive cables. Cheap ones with decent shielding sound as good as the very expensive ones.
Well let me put it this way. You should get cables which complement your system. eg: A 100k cable would be a waste in a 100k system but spending 5-10k on decent cables would certainly be worth it.For instance the regular RCA connectors available are very very bad and an upgrade say to a entry level QED or Kimber would certainly not be a waste of money.
Old 12th February 2009, 10:07   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
Well let me put it this way. You should get cables which complement your system. eg: A 100k cable would be a waste in a 100k system but spending 5-10k on decent cables would certainly be worth it.
There is no evidence that spending 5-10k on cables is ever worth it. Google
for expensive cables & you will see. Basic cable with decent shielding is enough. And that shouldn't cost you 5-10k, unless you are connecting stuff which are really far off.
Old 12th February 2009, 10:29   #50
BHPian

Not everything you google is correct. Hear and believe.
Old 12th February 2009, 10:36   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Not everything you google is correct. Hear and believe.
I believe in double blind tests. Are there are any double blind tests showing that 50$ cables are better than 10$ ones?
Old 12th February 2009, 10:42   #52
BHPian

50 and 10 dolar cables should both be equally crappy.. try an A/b between the regualr intercoonect you get with equipmet and an entry leve Kimber or QED ( costs abt 3-4K approx ) adn the difference on equoment of a minimum standard like the Marantz combo or Cambridge combi will be clearly audible.. I have doen similar tests with a whole lot of cables costing between 200k to 5k.
Old 12th February 2009, 10:49   #53
BANNED

Quote:
50 and 10 dolar cables should both be equally crappy.. try an A/b between the regualr intercoonect you get with equipmet and an entry leve Kimber or QED ( costs abt 3-4K approx )
What's the cost per metre/foot etc?

Quote:
adn the difference on equoment of a minimum standard like the Marantz combo or Cambridge combi will be clearly audible.. I have doen similar tests with a whole lot of cables costing between 200k to 5k.
Are these double blind tests? If not, they are meaningless.

Randi foundation offers a million dollar reward to anyone who can prove that Pear Anjou cables (costing close to 300$ per foot)
are better than Monster Cables (costing around 60$ a foot, I think). And there are other experts who have said that in a
double blind test, they can't make out the difference between the 60$ cable & a good 10$ a foot cable.
Randi foundation says that the only thing which can make a 300$ cable sound better than the 60$ one is some kind of
paranormal phenomenon.

Last edited by carboy : 12th February 2009 at 10:53.
Old 12th February 2009, 10:54   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
not having tower speakers does not mean that you have to have a sub.
I understand that, but that's something I would like to have (just in case I decide to listen to some AC/DC )

Quote:
Not having tower speakers also does not mean that you have to go for one of these tiny-cube systems, Bose or otherwise. There are excellent "bookshelf" speakers available, that will not only give you good sound but also can be as expensive as you ever want to get!
Understood. But see, the thing is we don't have a "bookshelf" in the drawing room and I don't thing these kind of speakers will look good on the side-table. Another option is the Fireplace, but it's location in the drawing room is off-centre so wouldn't be fine.

Cube speakers or small Satellite speakers can be mounted fairly discreetly on the wall, IMO.

Quote:
Having "conventional" speakers also does not mean that you can't have a sub if you really want one (as long as the amp supports it, of course)--- but there really should not be a need, if you do not want to go in for head-thumping stuff.
Like I said, this is a one-time soend with no plans to upgrade. So, would rather buy a Sub in case I feel like listening to some Rock

Quote:
Good subs, by the way, are not small. They are not like the thing many of us probably have plugged into their PCs --- they are substantial boxes and, Manveet, you have been telling us that you are short, physically or aesthetically, of floor space.
I never said that we are short of floor-space, plenty of that. but we don't think that Tower speakers will go aesthetically well with the theme and decor of the room.

From what I understand, Base is non-directional and so the Sub can be tucked away quite discreetly in a corner. And since they are usually kept on the floor, they'll be pretty much below eye level. For e.g. under the side-table no-one will even notice it is there.

Last edited by manveet : 12th February 2009 at 10:56.
Old 12th February 2009, 11:00   #55
Senior - BHPian

Cabling

5-10k seems a decent budget for Cables. Wouldn't like to spend more than 10% of total cost on wiring.

OT:

Quote:
Randi foundation offers a million dollar reward to anyone ..
Funny Name. He He.

Old 12th February 2009, 11:00   #56
BHPian

[quote=carboy;1168192]
Quote:
50 and 10 dolar cables should both be equally crappy.. try an A/b between the regualr intercoonect you get with equipmet and an entry leve Kimber or QED ( costs abt 3-4K approx )

What exactly do you mean by a double blind test. ?( if you mean blind folded - then im afraid I wasnt ).. but yes it was an A/b with the same equipment with interconnects being changed and the same music being used between changes.

Well the Kimber Tonik series interconnect (1Meter length) costs abt 5-6K i think.( not 100% sure about current prices..maybe slightly more due to excahnge rates ).
I had doen similar tests on speaker cables using entry level Kimber 4PR ( about 400 per meter) , VDH tea track ( about 1500 per foot ) and Nordost Frey ( about 140k for a 4 meter pair )
Old 12th February 2009, 11:09   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Randi foundation offers a million dollar reward to anyone who can prove that Pear Anjou cables (costing close to 300$ per foot)
are better than Monster Cables (costing around 60$ a foot, I think). And there are other experts who have said that in a
double blind test, they can't make out the difference between the 60$ cable & a good 10$ a foot cable.
Randi foundation says that the only thing which can make a 300$ cable sound better than the 60$ one is some kind of
paranormal phenomenon.
Mr Randi disappeared when some seasoned music listeners accepted the challenge. That guy has no ethics so its best not to get him into this. If you really want a serious technical discussion about cables, this is a good read - http://passlabs.com/pdf/articles/spkrcabl.pdf. Its written by someone well respected by audiophiles and audio engineers alike - Nelson Pass.

Cables make a massive difference based upon what your system really is. One must select something commensurate with the rest of the system, not something ridiculously priced.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 12th February 2009 at 11:14.
Old 12th February 2009, 11:11   #58
BHPian

Quote:

paranormal phenomenon.
Like I said dont believe everything you read on the net. The internet is not the holy grail and content on it is soemtimes written by people like 'Mr.Randi' or a ' Miss or Miz or Mrs.Randi' whatever be the case who is welcome to his/her views and 'St###f' his/her million dollars for all I care. 
Old 12th February 2009, 11:12   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Mr Randi disappeared when some seasoned music listeners accepted the challenge. That guy has no ethics so its best not to get him into this.
Do you have a cite for this?

Anyway - check the slashdot discussion on Randi's challenge.
It's a fun read - Slashdot | James Randi Posts $1M Award On Speaker Cables

There is a nice quote in the discussion - "Music lovers listen to music, audiophiles listen to stereos".

Quote:
Like I said dont believe everything you read on the net. 
No I don't believe everything on the net - that's probably why I won't believe you when you say that Cable X is better than Cable Y, without any proof.

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by a double blind test. ?
Double blind test means both the tester & the testee don't know what they are testing.
That eliminates bias & placebo effects.

Blind experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
5-10k seems a decent budget for Cables. Wouldn't like to spend more than 10% of total cost on wiring.
I don't see why you should connect the cost of the wires to the cost of the equipment.
Use the cables which come with the equipment. If the equipment doesn't come with cable, buy the cheap thick interconnects.

Last edited by carboy : 12th February 2009 at 11:19.
Old 12th February 2009, 11:19   #60
BHPian

well give the test a shot. YOu will hear the difference. If you cannot then please go ahead and buy the 10 dollarr wonder boys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks