Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
the limit on their unlimited plans are as under:

128 kbps = 10 GB download limit per month
256 kbps = 15 GB download limit per month
384 kbps = 20 GB download limit per month
512 kbps = 25 GB download limit per month
1 Mbps = 150 GB download limit per month
Well I have a 1mbps connection and I have crossed my download limit by a huge amount. But I am not seeing any throttling happening. I am still getting the same through put that I was getting earlier.
Old 17th February 2009, 13:23   #33
BHPian

Quite a news it is. I checked with customer care,they told that it is yet to be implemented in Punjab.The cap is limited to NCR.
Old 18th February 2009, 10:02   #34
BHPian

If they do this then they should start displaying the Usage stats on their website against your login acccount.
Currently if you have an unlimited plan they do not display Usage stats, These stats are available only for Limited plans.

Wonder if they are going to change this
Old 19th February 2009, 08:42   #35
BHPian

Airtel Says "Fair Usage Policy Saar!"

Actually this news is true. I am an AIRTEL Broadband user for about 3.5 years now. Since day before yesterday, the connection speeds were kind of slow than usual. I am on a 512 kbps unlimited plan. I called the support number now, thinking may be there was an outage or some thing. The rep confirms that, " Sir, there is no outage- But you have reached your limit."

I was surprised and I asked him to show me the web page of theirs where I can look up that particular information. Reply was, "Sir- the website is not updated yet, we have sent you a letter regarding this".

He directed me to log on to my airtel account and check how much have I used till date. Oops! it's 71 GB since my last billing cycle. He says some thing about the Fair Usage Policy and I have already crossed 71GB, thus connection speed will drop to 256 KBPS.

He then asked me to go to speedtest.net to check my connection speed. Viola! Indeed, they have reduced my connection speed.

Airtel - Now Unlimited Plans have restrictions on download speeds-upload.jpg

The rep told me that my cap was 40 GB. It will be 512 KBPS till 40 GB and 256 KBPS going forward. I took his word on that, but when I googled now, some forums say that it's 25 GB. I will wait for the letter/courier and shall see what's the cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
If they do this then they should start displaying the Usage stats on their website against your login acccount.
Currently if you have an unlimited plan they do not display Usage stats, These stats are available only for Limited plans.

Wonder if they are going to change this
Yes, even last year when I wanted to check my usage, they told me the same thing. But, now you can lookup your stats by going to airtel website.

Cheers,
Jai
Old 19th February 2009, 11:40   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

It's official. Someone at some other forum uploaded this screenshot.
Attached Images

Old 19th February 2009, 13:34   #37
Team-BHP Support

I don't think calling these plans "Unlimited" is really Fair. Airtel should rename its plans to Limited and "Less Limited" Plans.
This is what happens when there is no decent competition in the market. If only MTNL/BSNL up their service and support, things will become much better
Old 19th February 2009, 14:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

So, these plans can no longer be called 'Unlimited Plans' !! Hope they are not going to cut the speed of other plans due to this. I am on a 2 Mbps 4 GB limit plan, I can feel the speed is considerably low since 4 or 5 days. Hope it improves.
Old 19th February 2009, 15:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

Anyone from NCR experiencing this?
Am still getting the same speed as usual.
Old 19th February 2009, 15:34   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Anyone from NCR experiencing this?
Am still getting the same speed as usual.
Well, I was just going to post - I'm pretty sure I've crossed the 15gig limit (can't check now 'cos the Airtel site is under maintenance) & I had my daughter check out the speeds this afternoon. Our download speed was 298, upload was 305 so seems pretty OK to me (we're on 256)
Old 19th February 2009, 15:36   #41
Team-BHP Support

Suman this throttling may be in trial phase so all users may not be affected. Once they perfect it, they are going to implement it for everybody. As long as they announce and inform users that they no longer give Pure unlimited plans its okay. But I expect they will do what they did in the days before TRAI told them to stop calling 64kbps broadband
Old 19th February 2009, 16:10   #42
Team-BHP Support

Meri maano... switch to sarkaari, maaibaap broadband... thats BSNL. I think this is the only thing which the BSNL has managed to perfect in so many years. Its the smartest choice that I even made.
Old 19th February 2009, 16:21   #43
Team-BHP Support

My only worry with them is that they will present me with a huge bill, even if I am on an unlimited plan. Ala Sam.
Old 19th February 2009, 16:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

So, does the cost also come down, pro-rated to the period where we are offered a lower speed???

Ok, ok... guess I am asking for the impossible!
Old 19th February 2009, 17:16   #45
Team-BHP Support

Eddy, believe me, when I took the call to switch over to BSNL I was filled with trepidation. The excessive bills, no support and what not. However my earlier provider (Sify) had by then pissed me off so badly that I just wanted a switch at any cost.

Airtel proved to be extremely sarkari in their approach (red tapism) which surprised me and then infuriated me after a while. They were just taking me for a ride all along.

Then I took the call to spend a little and go for BSNL. Initial costs for BSNL were much higher than any other ISP. However today I can say that they are far better in every respect. They do not overbill, even if they used to earlier, plus of course I have now remote telnet scripts running to ensure that the modem switches off by itself at 2 in the morning and restarts.

About support, what I have found is that 24x7 swagatham service (1500) works like a charm in sorting out the issues. And if you are not satisfies you keep lodging the problem with 1500 for consecutive days. Within 7 days a honcho calls you up to inquire about the problem and then the whole of BSNL staff gets going to sort out the issue no matter how big.

Uh huh! BSNL is definitely changing... for the better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks