Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 18:33   #31

OK,

Now, I downloaded MMI from a certain website. But it does not have instructions on how I can install the software on the C320. Do I just upload the MMI files on the root directory of the SD card? It has MMI.exe. Would that run on the device?

Anyone who has already tried this? bigman/tsk1979/indie?

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
yes its the unlock, unlock means you are able to use the capabilities of win ce device to a full extent.. like in miopocket you have many softwares/games but default u can only see one screen with four icons viz. miomap, audio player, file explorer and settings.

as far as maps/ software for india are concerned the best is from mapmyindia, you can d/l the software's from Forum - Navigator

if you face any problem, post in the forum or pm, with your doubts.

cheers
Old 25th August 2009, 20:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by heenaluthra View Post
Now, I downloaded MMI from a certain website. But it does not have instructions on how I can install the software on the C320. Do I just upload the MMI files on the root directory of the SD card? It has MMI.exe. Would that run on the device?

Anyone who has already tried this? bigman/tsk1979/indie?
In its own folder or root. It SHOULD work. I have the old MMI and the new one in different folders. Both work when the exe is double clicked.

No harm in trying.
Old 26th August 2009, 18:43   #33

Hey trrk,

Funny thing - when I run the MMi.exe, it opens the MMI sofrware but when he the "opening maps" comes in the start-up screen of MMI, it closes the MMI application. Any help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

In its own folder or root. It SHOULD work. I have the old MMI and the new one in different folders. Both work when the exe is double clicked.

No harm in trying.
Old 26th August 2009, 18:49   #34

I suspect I have the application but not the maps in the MMI? The total size of MMI rar file is 6MB with the biggest file "LanguagePackAmerican.cpf". Is that the reason the MMI.exe startup screen does not get ahead of "opening maps"?

Can someone share India maps and whether all I need to do is paste the maps folder in the root directory of the SD card and bingo?
Old 26th August 2009, 20:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Hey trrk,

Funny thing - when I run the MMi.exe, it opens the MMI sofrware but when he the "opening maps" comes in the start-up screen of MMI, it closes the MMI application. Any help?
Quote:
I suspect I have the application but not the maps in the MMI? The total size of MMI rar file is 6MB with the biggest file "LanguagePackAmerican.cpf". Is that the reason the MMI.exe startup screen does not get ahead of "opening maps"?

Can someone share India maps and whether all I need to do is paste the maps folder in the root directory of the SD card and bingo?
I think the problem is that you do not have maps.

I will let you know what to do tomorrow.
Old 26th August 2009, 22:00   #36

Guys..

I feel on top of the world! ! !

Finally... MMI works... the thing works man!

Kudos to all of you guys! Thanks for the effort man! My 6 month old brick actually HAS life!

Cheers,
Heena
Old 27th August 2009, 12:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
I feel on top of the world! ! !
Finally... MMI works... the thing works man!
Congratulations!

Post a picture please!
Old 2nd September 2009, 22:10   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Congratulations!

Post a picture please!
u can check the screenshots on my device here..

Unlock : Mio Devices - Home
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

I use Noni GPSPlot on HP IPaq 111 PDA. It is a freeware and has lot of features.

Noni GPSPlot

The developer also has freeware tool to download the maps from Google Maps and use them in GPSPlot.
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:46   #40
Team-BHP Support

Actually I also use noni to download osm/google maps, but for the unit I decided to purchase oziexplorer, as I wanted something with advanced capabilities like logbook, etc.,
Old 22nd September 2009, 18:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

Where do you use OSM maps?
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:04   #42
Team-BHP Support

For my ladakh trip I used OSM maps as most roads are mapped, those which are not will be mapped soon by me.
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:31   #43
Senior - BHPian

I tried OziExplorer yesterday. I felt Noni is much better for my use. Accessing various functions is much easier in Noni. It requires less number of stokes and buttons are easily readable on the move.
Another feature i liked in Noni, as a donor user i can create a Navigation map from multiple .map files in a folder in a single shot. This feature is available only for donor users. This allows to split the maps in to multiple small files and the software loads each file on demand. I couldn't locate this feature in Ozi. I am able to import only one .map file at a time.
I will continue to test Ozi for a few more days.
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:44   #44
Team-BHP Support

@Statish, in oziexplorer CE, not PC version, you can put all map files with jpg and .map in one folder(or subfolders in the Maps directory).
Depending upon your location Ozi will automatically pick the map file.
For example I had some 100 map files for Ladakh and Himachal, and more detailed ones for Changthang Plateau(with self created hand drawn GPS trails) etc., etc.,
Ozi will pick up one automatically.
In case it finds 2 maps for same location, it will pick up more detailed one.
Old 20th February 2010, 23:26   #45
BHPian

Hi Mio Gurus...
I was impressed with this thread, and purchased a Mio C320. I am now into "hacking" my way through the device.
Here is what I have gathered, and going to try. Please validate my understanding so that I donot do anything funny and silly.

C320 can be unlocked with Mio Pocket 3.0 software. This is just a utility to unlock but doesnt provide any of the maps or plotting software.
Its good to use a SD unlock mechanism because it would be easy to fall back atleast to test the software.

The next step is to utilize the GPS hardware and WinCE OS within the Mio device, and use the Mio pocket application, and we need to install another "plotting software". Plotting software is basically an application which would plot a map, as x, y coordinates of latitude and longitude, which it obtains from the hardware, and presents on the UI. However, if there are no maps for that area, it would show only coordinates.
I am looking at Pocket GPS and noni GPS plot applications for this purpose.

The next step is to actually see what you where you are on a visually understandable format which is map.
For this, we need bit map images, which contains meta data of latitude longitude location, so that when the plotting software provides lat, long positions, it shows correct location on the map.
This can be done by copying google maps through mobile gmaps.

As of now, I still didnt unlock my Mio, since the SD card which I purchased, I am not able to access it on my laptop. I suspect a bad card reader, which is around 7 years old. Once I am able to write into SD card, I will unlock, and then let you know the results.
Meanwhile, please let me know any corrections or pitfalls in what I understood about this process.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks