Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2009, 09:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Home video suveillance

Does anybody have home video surveillance system installed at home? In couple of months, we have to start leaving my 2 year old son with a maid at home. As a safety measure, i want to install a video surveillance system just to make sure my son is safe.

A system which can broadcase on web will be good. A system with just recording feature also should be ok.

Any suggestion please?
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

This is relatively simple with PC. All you have to do is wiring, and installing the webcams at home. This is relatively cheap way of getting the job done. A modern day PC with USB 2.0 ( almost all have this now ) can take on multiple cameras. You can use some softwares and keep them running. Only drawback is that the PC will be running all the time.

IIRC, Microsoft had some webcams available with special swirl facality. They are more reliable than others, but the image quality is not the best.
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:11   #3
BHPian

You can go in for a Network Camera that connects to the home network. DLINK, LINKSYS are some of the well know brands which manufacture these. These Cameras are either wireless/wired (ethernet) which connects to the wireless router on the home network.

They can broadcast live video/audio over the internet which can be viewed on a web browser anywhere in the world. As these devices have built in webserver you dont need have the PC powered ON all the time. The only requirement is getting your Internet Service Provider to give you a static Internet IP.

Linksys.com – Products/Wireless/Home Control/Cameras/WVC54G

Last edited by dreamdiesel : 2nd March 2009 at 11:17.

Most Viewed