Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2009, 02:38   #1
BHPian

I purchased the p1i last year sometime in April, I was a happy customer having paid 17k for a phone that my friend had bought for 22 some time back. Initially everything seemed bright and lively & i thought to myself, i've finally bought a product that'll live upto my expectations.
2 days later, phone stops displaying names, you can still access the phonebook but that's not of much use as you can't go further. A simple format should have done it, and it did; 2 days later, same problem. I call up sony, blast them & they send someone home(Must have been the only time), this person though is as qualified as you or me. He formats the phone(what a genius) and tells me it's done(Really?), I explain that the problem triggers the moment you activate voice dialing, he says 'sir phir to kucch nahi kar sakte, shaayad sony vaale koi update nikale"
I accept this thinking something would come out soon, no using voice dialing.
A few days later i set an alarm and switch the phone off. I miss meeting my gf, the phone doesn't power on like most others do when you set an alarm. Fine i tell myself, must not have this feature. I try again, this time it's charging as well and guess what, It rings.
So i have a phone that can't power on if you set an alarm but do the same with the charger connected and it'll work. What a feature!
More later,There's a lot more.
...10 months later.

---------------------------

I feel awake again so i'll continue.
I forget about the features but it's nagging me somewhere. Why should i accept a product with defects. When i start driving frequently the lack of voice commands makes my job even tougher and so i decide to follow it up. I do a google and realize the whole p1i series has this problem. I cross check with a friend and realize the problem is generic.
&now, SALORA INTERNATIONAL okhla, Delhi.
Reaching this place involves a set of rattling doors and a suspension that'll age 10 years due to 1 trip. I make it, somehow.
Parking? Nevermind.
Since this is the 3rd time i'm coming, (first time touchscreen stopped working, 2nd time i don't remember)I don't expect much, I try to keep my expectations as low as possible but sadly that's to high for this company to manage.
You enter this place wondering whether you've come to a govt. office, there's one lady on the counter for 40 customers, they have 2 more chairs, for impression sake i believe.
This lady is familiar with phones, as familiar as my dog at least and when i tell her my problems she writes them as other data communication problems, alarm clock not working. Excellent i tell myself. She tells me i cannot type more, no space.
I wonder, how am i suppose to tell them the problem.
Lady and Solution
-Sir, ye lijeye pen aur paper, likh daliye. Vaah!
And so i do that and we give the phone in after speaking to a certain ms. Bhavana(she plays a crucial part in the story, please imagine her as a thin married lady, that's all) who heads(i believe so) this service center
To be continued(for you on this thread)
I enjoy the live edition!

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th March 2009 at 13:48. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 29th March 2009, 03:27   #2
BHPian

Sukrit man even I had the unfortunate instance of owning a P990i. And all I can say is that it was an absolutely pathetic phone. The RAM in the phone was so less that if I opened 3-4 apps at once the phone would would restart itself or just freeze. Before the P990i I has the P910 and the P800.

I am amazed that the SALORA INTERNATIONAL garbage dump is still the same as it was in 2003 when I went to get my P800 updated. The reception had an Auntyji sitting there and there were a few chairs with a fan running cluck cluck cluck. Then they simply refused to update my phone as I bought it in UK. I told them that the phone was not a contract phone and bought from Sony Ericsson itself but they were completely clueless. All they said was Sir yeh bahar wala phone ham nahi service kar sakte. But after the P990i I've promised myself never to buy a SE again.

I guess SE is following in Skoda's footsteps!
Old 29th March 2009, 10:44   #3
BHPian

Haha brabus, That's a promise i'm going to make soon. The p1i isn't that bad though, it's the service that's ruining it.
If you guys are interested then i'll continue the story,u'll see what i mean
Old 29th March 2009, 10:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Please make it more legible to read

Be it SE or Nokia, see that you have the latest firmware. Google and ask around before buying one or keep yourself updated about the bugs/updated they fix of your mobile.

P910 was a solid one. Bro still uses one. Got a new screen for 1300 from Dxb when his one broke.

Edit: carfreak; they still have a bad A.S.S.. The guys dont know how to troubleshoot even.

Last edited by jkdas : 29th March 2009 at 10:53.
Old 29th March 2009, 10:51   #5
BHPian

One of the reasons why i avoid sony-ericsson is because of their poor A.S.S.i had 2 bad experiences oin the past-once with the t610 and with another model.the biggest problem is the lack of service centres and the people sitting there have absolutely no idea about the phone,but even worse will try convincing you that there is no problem!!

Of course this was several years before-thought they had improved their service in this time
Old 29th March 2009, 10:58   #6
BHPian

More legible, in what sense?
I don't think the service is better anywhere, at least in delhi, It's terrible
Old 29th March 2009, 11:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well iv been using SE phones for more than 4 years now and have not experienced any problem with them.
Have used the P10i ,990i in the past and its been more than a year since i got my P1i and except for it hanging/freezing sometimes have faced no other issues.
Hoping that it continues to be this way as my next phone is definitely gonna be the Xperia X1.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 29th March 2009 at 11:44.
Old 29th March 2009, 12:00   #8
Team-BHP Support

My P990i used to reboot on incoming calls but the last firmware updatre fixed that. Now I use a G900. It is slim, I can get me emails on it. and it has a touch screen (Graffitti) as well as a numeric keypad (SMS).
Old 29th March 2009, 12:01   #9
BHPian

@faithless- try using voice commands,do they work ? Also check if the alarm powers the phone off; And let me know please
Old 29th March 2009, 12:15   #10
BHPian

A short update;And a more sober attempt.
I'm called early next morning to the service center, "You're phone has been repaired". I head off enduring the roads(really?) and reach to find the same level of chaos. It takes them 20 minutes to give me my phone and even before i switch it on I'm told to consult Mrs.Bhavana if the problem still persists; It does, the phone is just the same.
I go around looking for Bhavana 'ji' and am asked to wait for 15 minutes, "She's gone for lunch". 30 minutes later there's still no sign of her,"15 minute wait kariye".
Exasperated i call up sony Ericsson's helpline and lodge a complaint. They speak to her and she arrives.
I give her a piece of my mind for calling me when the phones not repaired and for making me wait. She has the courage to tell me that the engineer probably did not read the white slip and hence the problem hasn't been corrected. "I will personally attend to your case".
I head home and lodge another complaint. I speak to them again last Thursday and am completely ignored. The next day after a few more complaints i'm told the phone is ready. Just as i'm about to leave salora calls and a lady says, sir you're phone is ready. I tell her i'm aware and was about to leave. I'm asked, "sir complaint kyu lodge kiya". I tell her that i did so because the company was harassing me. She apologizes and says she'll speak to mrs bhavana and call back.
"Sir the phone is under observation". You can't take it today
Old 29th March 2009, 12:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
try using voice commands,do they work ?
Will get back to you about this.

Quote:
Also check if the alarm powers the phone off;
Nop ,i use the alarm feature every day and this has never happened.
Old 29th March 2009, 12:37   #12
BHPian

Edit
@faithless- Set an alarm n switch the phone off,then see if it rings. If it doesn't do the same with the phone on charge. Please let me know.
And as a warning, take a backup before you try voice commands.
Old 29th March 2009, 13:54   #13
BHPian

To cut a long story short; And i require your suggestions

Later Mrs Bhavana calls and says the motherboard is faulty, I ask her why the problem exists on most P1i phones and she has no answer. I'm told i'll receive the phone on the 27th. It's the 29th today and the phone was given on the 18th. I've made numerous calls everywhere and was once told it'll take another week.The next day they didn't even return my call.
I need assistance guys, Please advise.
Mods- Please edit title to a warning to all and required assistance.

Last edited by sukrit7 : 29th March 2009 at 13:57.
Old 29th March 2009, 14:15   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I use a K800i (bought abroad) for the last 2 years (yes, yes, I know it's outdated! but it's still got an outstanding camera) and had a problem once. Went to Accel at Nehru Place, and they damaged the casing a little. Contacted someone personally at Sony Ericsson, and I was told the best place to go to would be Salora at Okhla. They fixed the problem quite (for me) painlessly in a couple of days. I'm surprised Salora is now treating you so carelessly.

As to using voice commands, even my phone freezes when doing this - so I avoid using the feature at all. Also, if I try to use a big (3-4MB) *.mp3 file as my ringtone, I don't get any sound and the caller ID refuses to display. I was told this happens because of the phone having too little memory. I can live without these 2 features, so I am happy to continue using it.
Old 29th March 2009, 14:52   #15
BHPian

Ur a lucky fellow ss but what should i do? It's been almost 15 days now and i'm living without a primary phone and with a limited contact list. Does anyone have a personal address of someone in sony?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks