Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2010, 14:43   #31
BHPian

Thanks GTO and Honeybee.

@honeybee
Quote:
What kind of a role will this development server play?
It is a multi role server - it needs to serve as a network file server, HTTP server, Router, Firewall and DNS server. There will be about 10 users locally at any given time. The OS is linux - Redhat Enterprise or (Fedora Core 11 at the moment). It needs to be up 24/7/365 and we could do with RAID 1.

Last edited by Prowler : 5th May 2010 at 14:44.
Old 5th May 2010, 19:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

Please don't go with Fedora Core on your servers. RHEL, CentOS or Debian are good.
Old 5th May 2010, 22:25   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Our office has decided to upgrade the development server and they got a quote from a major manufacturer. This is the configuration:

CPU - Xeon X3460 QuadCore
2 GB RAM with ECC
SAS 6/iR Controller Card
500GB 3.5-inch 7.2K RPM SATA II Hard Drive x 2

3 years onsite warranty

And the cost is Rs.84k

I checked the price locally and found that once can "build" the same system for less than 50k

What is the view of the experts here ?
Yes, if you build one on your own, then you would get it for aprrox 50k. I assembled a server on my own for my home use...

My Config is,

- Intel S5000XVN dual processor M/B
- Intel E5405 Xeon 2.4 Ghz Quad core
- Cooler Master 600W PW
- 8 GB RAM 667 Mhz with ECC
- 500 GB SATA
- 1 GB Palit Super + Graphic Card
- VIP Server cabinet
- 22" E2200HD BenQ LCD

And I got everything from Lamigton Road and it costed me around Rs 60 k, but it was around 6 months back.

Though I would strongly suggest you to go for a branded one for peace of mind
Old 5th May 2010, 23:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks GTO and Honeybee.

@honeybee
It is a multi role server - it needs to serve as a network file server, HTTP server, Router, Firewall and DNS server. There will be about 10 users locally at any given time. The OS is linux - Redhat Enterprise or (Fedora Core 11 at the moment). It needs to be up 24/7/365 and we could do with RAID 1.
Some quick thoughts: It looks like too many apps on a single server. If the server goes down, all these apps go down. Can you afford that?

Secondly if you need 24x7x365 availability, simply having onsite warranty is not going to help. You need a person sitting in your office and MONITORING the server, instead of waiting for the server to go down, then report the incident and wait for the tech support guy to arrive. Even if it's same business day onsite warranty, it will cost you a few hours before the server is up again.

Also for 24x7x365 availability, get a backup server. This could be of identical configuration or slightly lesser configuration. When the main server goes down, you should be able to switch to the backup server with minimum loss of time. This will buy you some time to get the main server back up.
Old 6th May 2010, 12:25   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000bhp View Post
Yes, if you build one on your own, then you would get it for aprrox 50k. I assembled a server on my own for my home use...

My Config is,

- Intel S5000XVN dual processor M/B
- Intel E5405 Xeon 2.4 Ghz Quad core
- Cooler Master 600W PW
- 8 GB RAM 667 Mhz with ECC
- 500 GB SATA
- 1 GB Palit Super + Graphic Card
- VIP Server cabinet
- 22" E2200HD BenQ LCD

And I got everything from Lamigton Road and it costed me around Rs 60 k, but it was around 6 months back.

Though I would strongly suggest you to go for a branded one for peace of mind
how much was the VIP server cabinet?

K
Old 6th May 2010, 13:47   #36
BHPian

Yes Pranavt - I won't go with Fedora for the branded Server. They would supply it with RHEL. Patching Fedora every month and upgrading to the latest version is a pain.

Honeybee - I practically live in my office. I am the guy who keeps the servers - local and offshore running.
[rant] I have no personal life to speak of [/rant]

I will leave the present server as a backup. Should work for another 3 years.

1000BHP - I see no RAID card in your config. It is hard to source one. If the hardware RAID card fails for some reason, your array goes for a toss. Software RAID is not practical for our usage ( we tried and failed).
Old 7th May 2010, 11:18   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
it needs to serve as a network file server, HTTP server, Router, Firewall and DNS server.
Quote:
There will be about 10 users locally at any given time.
Quote:
It needs to be up 24/7/365 and we could do with RAID 1.
Here's a thought : Considered shared hosting? With 10 concurrent users online, you are barely going to use any resources. Why not give someone else the headache of maintaining the server / softwares? A basic shared hosting package for a mere $15 - $20 a month suits your needs to the T. Advantages = No large downpayment (pay as you use) + Fully managed by a professional webhosting company + Online 24/7/365.
Old 7th May 2010, 13:45   #38
BHPian

Thanks GTO. Shared hosting ? We have a dedicated server based in the US. We need a local server for the office here. We work for an American Women centric Publisher. We provide them the backend service in Madras. The local server allows the editors and other technical staff to place their work which will eventually be synced to the production servers abroad. The HTTP server is only for testing their work.

Last edited by Prowler : 7th May 2010 at 13:48. Reason: Added details
Old 7th May 2010, 13:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

Please have a look at Multi-functional Firewall Software - Open Source Content Filter & Spam Filter | Untangle.com which should satisfy some or all of your needs.

Quote:
Thanks GTO and Honeybee.

@honeybee
Old 15th May 2010, 06:11   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skartik2 View Post
how much was the VIP server cabinet?

K
I got it for around 8k.
Old 24th October 2015, 10:40   #41
BHPian

Re: Server Config + Implementation - Small Business

Copying my post here from another thread:

Hi Guys,

Need help with something for my father. I am not sure if I will be able to describe the issue clearly as it involves few technical things which I have never come across. But I hope that experts here will be able to recognize it.

So my father along with some of his friends is setting up a new company and wants to set up a network in the new office (which involves storing data on a server as told to me by my father). So he contacted one company for this and below is what was suggested to us. Rather than just relying on the company’s word, I would like the opinion of experts here. So here is the list of items sent by the company. Would request people here to tell me if the quote is reasonable or should we negotiate for something better.

IBM X3650 M4 Two Socket Rack Server

1. Intel Xeon E5 2640 v2 (6 x 2= 12 Core) Processor,
2. 64 GB 16 x 4 GB) Memory,
3. 1 TB x 8, 2.5" SATA Hot Swap HDD,
4. RAID 0,5 In-built (M1115 Card) / RAID 5 Key,
5. DVD-Writer,
6. 2 x RPS (Redundant Power Supply)

The price being quoted is 4,94,700/+ (Taxes Extra) with 3 Yrs On-Site Hardware Warranty by IBM Service Center .

7. Win Server 2012 R2 Paper Lic Electronic Mode Without Cal @ 54,500/++ (Downgrade 2008 R2 Server)

8. Win Server 2012 R2 Cal Paper Lic Electronic Mode @ 2150/-Each

9. Win Server 2012 R2 Terminal Lic Electronic Mode @ 7200/-Each

10. 48 D-LINK GIGA NETWORK SWITCH @ 21,800/+

11. WD 4 BAY EX4 NAS BOX @ 24500/-

12. WD 2 TB RED DRIVE BACKUP @ 7900 X 4=31,600/-

13. WD 6 TB RED DRIVE BACKUP @ 21,500 X 4=86,000/-

14. CYBEROAM FIREWALL 15 ING 3 YRS SUBSCRIPTION @ 35,200/++

15. WQ 42 U RACK @ 44,300/+
Old 24th October 2015, 11:46   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

You can save lots of money if going open source. Also depends on what is the office server used for? Why not cloud source data space and just hire two robust data lines?
Old 24th October 2015, 12:50   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
You can save lots of money if going open source. Also depends on what is the office server used for? Why not cloud source data space and just hire two robust data lines?
Open source is not an option as it is dictated by the client - this is what my father tells me. It would be great if you could tell me whether the price for the given configuration is fair, assuming that the said configuration is what is enough for the office work. Any pointers will be appreciated!
Old 26th October 2015, 11:53   #44
BHPian

It is hard to come up with any meaningful suggestion when we don't know the full specifications of your requirement. How many work stations will be connected to the server and what will be the volume of data generated in a given week ? There will be plenty of questions like that before anyone can suggest concrete solutions.

The quote given is for a high end setup. IBM servers tend to be more expensive . Why not look for Dell PowerEdge servers ? Ask your dad's CTO to take a look at this: http://www.dell.com/solutions/adviso...BServerAdvisor

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks