Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2009, 11:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Both have pros and cons.

I have a 8 GB card, so I prefer having all mails on card so that I can look up things quickly on phone itself.
Very true, Both have pros and cons. But somehow i feel it a bit more risky to carry your lifeline i.e. email data in your hand as mobiles are more prone to be lost rather then notebooks.

So for me it's download unread mails and delete the read-one from m-outlook.
Old 2nd April 2009, 08:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
1. Go to message>email
2. select option> email settings> fill necessary info like pop server/ smtp server, username, pwd etc.

otherway is select message button> option> settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
Shashank, if you can access emails in Outlook using POP,
Guys as I have mentioned earlier, I am using POP on my mobile for last couple of years, so I know how to set it up and how it works. However its not upto my satisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Use IMAP idle !!! It gives push mail a run for its money.

IMAP idle = set retrieval time to 30mins. I'm using gmail via IMAP on my e63. I remember an incident, my friends blackberry and my e63 were on the table and we get an email sent to the class group address and surprisingly my e63 beeped for the email approximately 1 - 2 secs before the blackberry signaled new email. I'm just talking relatively ok , nothing comes close to Blackberry as a messaging device.
For you I have a solution. Go to Nokia Messaging: Home and register there, it will send you a link on your phone, download & install that software on your phone, and it would virtually work like Blackberry.

Nokia has stopped supporting Blackberry connect from E71 onwards and they are promoting there own messaging solution instead. Its free as of now.
Old 2nd April 2009, 09:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hey,

Though about a solution that I think will fit what you are looking for.

This is based on a new feature on GMail. This feature lets you download mails from other accounts into GMail. That is through POP.

1. Remove POP settings from Outlook
2. Sign up for a new GMail account
3. Setup GMail to download emails from Rediff every few minutes.
4. Setup outlook so that it downloads emails from Gmail (Instead of rediff) and it should do that using IMAP instead of POP
5. Setup this GMail account with Nokia messenging.
6. Add you current email ID as one of the "Sender" address in GMail.

This would take care of everything.

You can send emails from your GMail account and those mails will go out as "abx@yourdomain.com" instead of "abc@gmail.com".

And through GMail account and IMAP, your Cell, Outlook will always be in Sync.
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:27   #19
BHPian

NFB - That is a great solution. Thanks for it.

Let me see how does this work by using my other gmail account only. I will configure that with outlook and take a feeler of the same.

btw. I have also configured my POP account with Nokia Messaging, and it seems to work fine as of now. The only challenge is sent items, otherwise it seems to be delivering mails pretty efficiently.
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

IMAP would take care of Sent items as well. YOu would need to "Subscribe" to Sent items and if needed then "Drafts" folder in Cell.
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:50   #21
BHPian

hi,

POP account doesn't work on sync basis. Once you download a mail using a pop account it will get removed from the server.
Adding/deleting a mail in your handheld will not affect the mails on the outlook.

Also, once you download the mail onto the handset it cannot be downloaded in your personal outlook.

To fix this issue do the following:-
open your MSOUTLOOK - go to tools - email accounts - view or change existing email Accounts (open your configured POP3 account) - go to more settings. go to "ADVANCED" tab.

there you will find an option "leave a copy of messages on the server"
check mark it and also select the number of days you want to keep the copy of the mails on the server in order to avoid over quota.

this will solve 1 of you problem of disappearing mails once downloaded.

the other problem which you have that you want to sync whatever activity you do on the phone or the msoutlook...cannot be done using the POP accounts.
you would have to do it individually for both MSoutlook and your phone.

other way is to install Exchange Active sync in you phone which will do the task for you considering Rediffmail allows an Exchange Account to be created on the phone.

hope this helps
cheers
JAXY
Old 2nd April 2009, 15:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
how to do this ? I mean, if I use the normal built in client, then I can do it, however I am using the client provided by Nokia messaging.

Secondly, I guess there is no perfect way out. Even though the plan given by NFB is pretty good, but I have other constraints, as I am using outlook to manage my data (more than 2.5 lac mails), 3 different accounts and more than 15 Gb divided among 4-5 different PST files, multiple set of rules. PHEW.

So what I am doing is, I have simply created an account on gmail and would be using that on my phone, while all mails to my rediff account would be forwarded to my gmail account. I will also configure that acount in outlook, and once in a while simply copy the sent mails from that account to my regular sent mails.

Now the only thing I need to figure out is how to make sure that my I send the mail from PDA, instead of showing my gmail acount, shows my rediff account as reply to address.

btw, I have also installed fring on my phone, and its one helluva service.
Old 2nd April 2009, 16:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread I haven't gone through all of it, since my head is already spinning with the year-end accounts work.

I do mostly the same thing as NetfreakBombay: two "catchall" gmail accounts pull-in all the email I want to get on the go: one for personal email and another for work-related email.

I download email from both catchall gmail accounts (set to IMAP mode) onto my E90 using Profimail. I leave the connection to the mailboxes open through Profimail. Profimail supports IMAP IDLE, so delivery of email is close to instantaneous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
how to do this ? I mean, if I use the normal built in client, then I can do it, however I am using the client provided by Nokia messaging.

Now the only thing I need to figure out is how to make sure that my I send the mail from PDA, instead of showing my gmail acount, shows my rediff account as reply to address.
Profimail lets us do this. We can set the "reply-to" address for all emails sent from the phone to whatever address we want to.
Old 2nd April 2009, 16:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post

Profimail lets us do this. We can set the "reply-to" address for all emails sent from the phone to whatever address we want to.

Great !! do you have reliable link to download the same ?

I am using Nokia Messaging service. Do you mean to say that even if I do not use that service (I guess its push mail) and directly configure the gmail account in profimail it would work like the way it is doing now ?

Right now, the gmail account configured through Nokia responds before my outlook is able to download the mail from rediff (it checks after every 5 minutes).
Old 31st January 2010, 18:56   #25
sat
BHPian

anyupdate on this...

Quote:
Hey,

Though about a solution that I think will fit what you are looking for.

This is based on a new feature on GMail. This feature lets you download mails from other accounts into GMail. That is through POP.

1. Remove POP settings from Outlook
2. Sign up for a new GMail account
3. Setup GMail to download emails from Rediff every few minutes.
4. Setup outlook so that it downloads emails from Gmail (Instead of rediff) and it should do that using IMAP instead of POP
5. Setup this GMail account with Nokia messenging.

This would take care of everything.

You can send emails from your GMail account and those mails will go out as "abx@yourdomain.com" instead of "abc@gmail.com".

And through GMail account and IMAP, your Cell, Outlook will always be in Sync.

wondering if there is any update or a more efficient way of getting email from a rediffmail pro account onto a blackberry 8900, nokia E72 & keeping in sync with microsoft outlook.
Old 31st January 2010, 19:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

I do use gmail in box in my E75. I don't have automatic down load. I connect and send and receive mails. It works well.
Old 31st January 2010, 22:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

My dad is going to change his blackberry 8800 as its almost 3 years old. i just want to know one thing is the new Nokia push mail as good as the blackberry ?
Because he really likes the e75 and would love to go for it , but he is scared whether he would lose the blackberry's functionality !
Gurus please advise.
His main purpose would be sending and receiving emails from multiple email Id's.
And also can you configure more than one email id ina nokia push mail service ?

Most Viewed