Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2009, 15:48   #1
BHPian

How does it work ? - POP mail on Mobile

Hey Guys,

I am feeling pretty Dumb right now, I want to configure my POP mail account on Nokia E63, and somehow I am dead confused between lot of things.

Here is what I have :

Noika E63
POP Email account on rediffmailpro.com
MS Outlook

MS Outlook downloads emails from rediffmailpro servers and removes them from server.

What I want :

I want my phone to work as mail device, regularly checking for new mails and updating me for the same. Besides that, I want it in syn with my MS Outlook so that whatever I read, delete or send from my phone is the same on my Outlook.

I hope its not a big deal, but my mind is told mumbo-jumbo right now to do anything about it.

Please help guys.

Cheers
Old 31st March 2009, 15:59   #2
BHPian

it is possible,but i know only for GMAIL.You need to have some settings.i am not sure about MS outlook.in my case it(gmail) appears as a separate folder below inbox.
Old 31st March 2009, 16:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

I don't think there is any "elegant" way out. (It appears that rediffmailpro does not support IMAP)

Best would to move away from rediffmailpro. Gmail has service similar to rediffmailpro, but it supports IMAP and Cell + Outlook can always be in Sync.

One "hack" will sort of work :

1. Sign up for a GMail account
2. Setup a rule in Outlook to forward all emails to this GMail account.
3. Or if rediff pro has filters, setup filters to forward emails to this Gmail account

Cell can keep syncing with GMail account through IMAP.

EDIT : PM me if you want to discuss it on a call
Old 31st March 2009, 16:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Possible very much Shashank !!

Take a look at Rediffmail Pro : Configure Outlook I believe setting up a outlook box on windows mobile and nokia outlook is very much same.
Old 31st March 2009, 16:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

^^^^

Issue is, his Outlook installation keeps deleting emails.

So mobile wont see any email most of the time.
Old 31st March 2009, 16:13   #6
BHPian

The gmail solution is perfectly fine. And I can set it up in second using Nokia Messaging. Put again problem is syncing the outgoing messages.

Ashish - I can setup the mail box on phone, (I am using it the same way for 2 years), but this way I have to manually log on to my mail account every now and then.

btw. - I did configure Nokia messaging and gmail on the phone, and its working like a charm. But the challenge is to get it to work with rediffmailpro. I bet rediffmailpro works fine on Blackberry

is there any third part application I can use ? profi mail or something ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
^^^^

yes...for that I created another account on rediffmailpro itself and forwarded all my mails from main account to dummy account. The dummy account was configured over the phone.

PS : Btw, I can actually configure outlook in such a way that I doesn't empty my inbox, and It will leave the message on the server for a specified period of time.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd April 2009 at 18:06. Reason: back to back posts
Old 31st March 2009, 16:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

In email clients, you have a option to say "leave the messages on the server" or something. With this, outlook should just download them without deleting.
POP3 is limited in functionality and cannot do the same as IMAP4
Old 31st March 2009, 16:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

You can also download mobile Rediff Application.

More Here

I am using the same
Old 1st April 2009, 01:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

1. Go to message>email
2. select option> email settings> fill necessary info like pop server/ smtp server, username, pwd etc.

otherway is select message button> option> settings.
Old 1st April 2009, 01:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

There is an application called RemotePC Lite, which needs to be installed on the computer where Outlook is installed. This app gives access to your Outlook mails via any browser, even mobile browsers.

Link: RemotePC Lite

Checkout if this suits your need.
Old 1st April 2009, 01:46   #11
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Use IMAP idle !!! It gives push mail a run for its money.

IMAP idle = set retrieval time to 30mins. I'm using gmail via IMAP on my e63. I remember an incident, my friends blackberry and my e63 were on the table and we get an email sent to the class group address and surprisingly my e63 beeped for the email approximately 1 - 2 secs before the blackberry signaled new email. I'm just talking relatively ok , nothing comes close to Blackberry as a messaging device.
Old 1st April 2009, 01:58   #12
BHPian

Try emoze Push email & messaging for all mobile devices, it's one of the best push email solutions for mail and the best part is it will integrate with your native email client on Nokia E63.
Old 1st April 2009, 02:59   #13
BANNED

Shashank, if you can access emails in Outlook using POP, you can access them anywhere using POP. POP - meaning Post Office Protocol - is not device or application specific. all you need to access POP email on your mobile are the right settings. namely:

incoming mail [POP]
password

outgoing mail [SMTP] - this is to be able to send emails. optional.
password

in addition to these, you will need to tell Outlook [using a little checkbox in mail settings] to NOT delete mails from the server after downloading. by default, Outlook deletes emails on the server as soon as it downloads them to save mailbox space. this was mainly meant for those days when everybody had puny 5MB mailboxes.

hope this helps.
Old 1st April 2009, 11:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Ashish - I can setup the mail box on phone, (I am using it the same way for 2 years), but this way I have to manually log on to my mail account every now and then.
Oh is it so... but in windows mobile it never seems to be a routine one. It's like enter one time only. I hope you have done enough R&D to fork the option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
PS : Btw, I can actually configure outlook in such a way that I doesn't empty my inbox, and It will leave the message on the server for a specified period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
^^^^
Yes Shashank, it can be done very well in outlook. Lookout for advance setting in outlook while mail-id is configured.

@Netfreak - It should be configured in a way where in only "Unread mail" should be read rather then whole inbox. Though i would prefer to clean-up inbox once in a day keep phone memory available for other apps as well.
Old 1st April 2009, 11:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
@Netfreak - It should be configured in a way where in only "Unread mail" should be read rather then whole inbox. Though i would prefer to clean-up inbox once in a day keep phone memory available for other apps as well.
Both have pros and cons.

I have a 8 GB card, so I prefer having all mails on card so that I can look up things quickly on phone itself.

Most Viewed