Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2009, 01:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Cisco routers for self-study

Hi all,
I've been doing self-study for my CCNP and although I'm happy using a simulator to do my labs right now, I'm interested in buying real routers for self-study. Have any of you or your friends done the same? I know of quite a few international sellers who'll gladly ship to India but the shipping costs will be huge, considering the weight of the equipment. I'm not interested in enrolling at teaching centres because they generally don't offer their routers for use unless you sign up for a course. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11th April 2009, 03:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

There is a guy in Bangalore who can supply you with the routers you need for practise. But for CCNA you dont need anything more then a simulator. What line are you planning to go R&S, VoIP or Security?
Old 11th April 2009, 04:43   #3
BHPian

CCNA now has 3 different streams? WOW!

I think it's a good time to invest in a networking degree as well.
Old 11th April 2009, 06:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Already did my CCNA last year. Now studying for CCNP (currently BSCI) which is the R&S field. Anyways, quickdraw, any more info you know of? Sounds interesting... I found a seller on ebay from Delhi, but he's selling them for way too much.

Last edited by pranavt : 11th April 2009 at 06:59.
Old 11th April 2009, 07:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking at routers for studies, it would be better to get routers on rent. Check classifieds in local daily, you should be able find one in mumbai & that too at reasonable rates.
Old 11th April 2009, 07:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Doesnt Cisco have virtual lab environment or so?
Old 11th April 2009, 07:46   #7
BANNED

You don't need to buy Routers!! Instead you can rent them for a period and return it once you're done. R&S is Routing and Switching.
Old 11th April 2009, 09:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Doesnt Cisco have virtual lab environment or so?
Not officially, no. There are third party simulators which work for basic configs. But anything remotely advanced will make them fall apart.
Old 11th April 2009, 11:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
CCNA now has 3 different streams? WOW!

I think it's a good time to invest in a networking degree as well.
CCNA doesnt, right after that you have to decide your specialization for CCNP and CCIE.

There's also Network design I forgot what it was called.

@PranavT : Call 9886207777 - ARUN.

This is the guy I bought the routers from when I was studying CCNA/NP.

Nice to see so many networking people here, makes me want to get back into the networking world. Too bad I threw a keyboard at my boss
Old 11th April 2009, 14:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Not officially, no. There are third party simulators which work for basic configs. But anything remotely advanced will make them fall apart.
Cisco 7200 Simulator - IPFlow Netflow Collector
GNS3 |

It's a mips/ppc emulator which boots real IOS images and gives you an exact environment that you'd get with a real cisco router. I've been using it for the last few months and it works amazingly well. Only problem is that throughput isn't anything to write home about, but since it's just practice, it doesn't matter at all.

@Quickdraw: Thanks, will call him. It's CCDP btw, the design stream. What kind of prices am I looking at, suppose I want to setup a CCNP lab, excluding a 3560 switch which is going to be very expensive I guess.

@Sankar: I do know it's the Routing & Switching field, that's what CCNP is. CCSP is security, VP is voip, DP is design.
Old 11th April 2009, 15:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
There is. How will a company who wants to experiment on some design etc check if they dont have test lab? Its not free though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Cisco 7200 Simulator - IPFlow Netflow Collector
GNS3 |

It's a mips/ppc emulator which boots real IOS images and gives you an exact environment that you'd get with a real cisco router. I've been using it for the last few months and it works amazingly well. Only problem is that throughput isn't anything to write home about, but since it's just practice, it doesn't matter at all.

@Quickdraw: Thanks, will call him. It's CCDP btw, the design stream. What kind of prices am I looking at, suppose I want to setup a CCNP lab, excluding a 3560 switch which is going to be very expensive I guess.

@Sankar: I do know it's the Routing & Switching field, that's what CCNP is. CCSP is security, VP is voip, DP is design.
CCDP exams cost 1400$, IIRC.

VoIP plus Video gonna have fun for sometime to come. Security always rules.

Anyone here with CISA / CISSP/ SSCP etc?
Old 11th April 2009, 17:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
There is. How will a company who wants to experiment on some design etc check if they dont have test lab? Its not free though.

CCDP exams cost 1400$, IIRC.

VoIP plus Video gonna have fun for sometime to come. Security always rules.

Anyone here with CISA / CISSP/ SSCP etc?
You sure? I just got an email from Cisco a couple of days back, but it was about the CCDE costing 1400USD, the CCIE equivalent of network-design certification.

Forgot to state the best thing about dynamips, and consequently, GNS3. It's completely free and open-source and works on Windows, Linux, Mac and FreeBSD.

Last edited by pranavt : 11th April 2009 at 18:11.

Most Viewed