Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 03:36   #1
BHPian

Returning from America..should I bring back a PC/PS3?

Hey guys, need some help. My stay in the US might be abruptly cut short and I might not have enough time to do my research so thought could seek help here...

I have seen some really cool PCs around. Is it a better idea to bring back a PC instead of a laptop?

Also, would a PS3 bought from here work in India? I haven't explored these two options at all yet.

Pls help out here guys...thanks
Old 15th April 2009, 04:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

I dont think you should get any such bulky items back. Regarding the PS3, im sure India is as competitive as the USA and may even offer the thing at a better price.
Old 15th April 2009, 10:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

A PS3 (80gb) in the US would cost you around US$ 400 - INR 21,000

Sony India sells it for INR 25,990 with one free game thrown in (picked it up for my son last weekend). You'd only be saving a couple of grand & having the headache of carrying it with you all the way from there. If you buy from the Grey market here, it would be INR 1,000 cheaper.

My suggestion would be to buy a few games in the US though - you have a whole lot of them at US$ 19.99 whereas here they are all in the range of INR 2,500 to INR 3,500.

Last edited by suman : 15th April 2009 at 10:19.
Old 15th April 2009, 11:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

A PC would certainly be not worth it. Laptop is fine as it can be carried easily. Better still, get the parts for a car PC and assemble it in your car here.
Old 15th April 2009, 11:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

PS3 almost costs the same in india and usa. The games are a lot cheaper in the us though. Look through ebay, gamestop etc. you can get used games for as low as 10-15 bucks.
Laptop is a better option than a desktop(easier to carry, no customs headache) but if you still want to get a desktop, get only the cpu, gpu, mobo, hard drive, ram, blue ray drive and sound card. You can buy the case in India and assemble it. The rest of the components like screen, mouse keyboard lan card etc. you can buy here. A couple of my friends have done this.
If you connect the desktop to a big lcd, you can have an amazing gaming/movie experience. Also if you go ahead and do this dont forget to buy a wired 360 controller. You can connect it to the desktop for a better gaming experience.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 15th April 2009 at 11:20.
Old 15th April 2009, 11:23   #6
BHPian

I would not risk and trust the baggage handling fellas with these boxes, especially, out here in India. I would rather buy them here and be in peace. Also, there might be some restrictions on warranty, which is quite crucial. Hence, it is not recommended.
Old 15th April 2009, 11:29   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Bringing in a PC is not worth it at all! the components are more expensive than in India or almost the same price.

If you buy here, you at least gain warranty.
Old 15th April 2009, 14:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

The price differential between components in India and US now is minimal other than high end motherboards which cost quite a bit more in India. But even that is changing. So it makes no sense. You could get a Graphics card from there if you like gaming. Prices are higher in India.
Old 15th April 2009, 22:46   #9
BHPian

I will say get the PC components from US. The reason for this is DDR-3 is freaking pricey here (for ex, 6 GB here is 15K=300$ whereas you can get good DDR3-1600 for less than 100$ on New Egg), so are graphic cards & some other stuff like MOBO. TheITwares.com is a good reference for street price in Mumbai. And you will save a huge deal in between. Don't think of Processors or HDD. The prices are almost the same.

I will say, if you can, get something else which is cheaper there. Lots of stores are closing down or giving out discounts and it's a good time to cash in.
Old 16th April 2009, 02:01   #10
BHPian

how is the PS3 experience on a regular tv.. I don't know if I would invest in an LCD right away when I get back to Bangalore. If regular tv is alright, then I would go ahead with the advice on just picking up some games here. And I hope there is no crazy issue of US games not working on Indian PS3s is there? I apologise for my ignorance, I used to be an avid pc gamer once but have lost touch in the last 6 yrs
Old 16th April 2009, 11:05   #11
BHPian

You can get the Intel iCore processor top of the line.
And/Or you can get a PC Blu ray player.
rest of the components are cheap in India.
Old 16th April 2009, 15:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

I just got a PS3 gifted to me from the US. So I'll let u in on what it means to get it from the US.

The dollar is almost Rs. 50/- now.. So for a 80GB PS3 you would shell out $400+shipping if you buy online. So around Rs.21000/-.

The PS3 is 110V if you get it from the US. I've read almost everywhere that it would support 220V, but are you willing to take the risk. So you need to buy a step down transformer here which supports upto 300W. A decent one cost around Rs.500/-

Good thing is it plays games that have been bought in India. Bad thing is this particular model is not backward compatible. Doesn't play PS2 games.

Generally such good pieces of electronics don't run into issues, but if it does warranty could be a problem. But that goes for whatever u get from the US.

Get Blue ray discs from the US. Most of the movies cost 20 dollars. Games there cost around 45 dollars there and around 2500/- here.. not much of a difference.

Laptops are a good buy from the US.
Old 16th April 2009, 15:48   #13
BHPian

Go for Laptop and PS3 I am running my XBOX360 bought in US in India now with the step down transformer and it works perfect.
Old 16th April 2009, 16:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
And I hope there is no crazy issue of US games not working on Indian PS3s is there?
I'm told that all PS3 games work on all PS3s, the only issue is with the Blu Ray movies which are region coded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Bad thing is this particular model is not backward compatible. Doesn't play PS2 games.
Well, even the 80gb one sold here doesn't play PS2 games - I think that compatibility went out with the 60gb one (which was the only one that played PS2 games, even the 40gb one doesn't).
Old 17th April 2009, 17:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I'm told that all PS3 games work on all PS3s, the only issue is with the Blu Ray movies which are region coded.
It wasn't. I had got Transformers, IronMan and Dark Knight from the US and all of them played just fine on my brother's PS3 which was bought in India. What I read was that certain Studios have region encoding while others don't.

Most Viewed