Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2005, 19:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Having a Memomory stick/card in the Handycam would excite anybody. But it is there only for the sake of being there. If you really want to shoot digital pictures, go and buy a dedicated digital camera. Take my word, the quality of the pics taken from the camcorder are of very poor quality. It should be a least priority.

The important things you have to chack when buying a camcorder are whether it is MiniDV. the quality of the video in daylight and darkness (Most of the entry camcorders fail here), Optical zoom, the more the better, Battery life. Except for MiniDV don't go for cameras with any other format like MicroDV , DVD, Digital 8 etc as they are not compatiable for Firewire captureing in to a PC.

Canon recently launched their camcorder range in India and they have one of finest lens in the entry level camcorders.

Invest some money in to an additional battery. Make sure yjr camcorder you buy has a shoe for fixing additional light or mic for future expandability

Digital zoom in camcorders is similar to the ones on digital camera, just increase the size of pixels.

Also, please invest some money in to a firewire card for your pc. You will have a great time editing the video you shoot. You can either use the software that will come with the Firewire (mostly Ulead Video Studio) or Windows Movies Maker built in to Windows XP. If you cant get enough out of them, you can invest in Adobe Premiere Elements which costs Rs. 5000 in India and has many features from Adobe Premiere Pro. I bought a combination pack of Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements for Rs.7000. I got a good discount through a friend. And they have to ship from Singapore as it was not availabe in India.

If you are capturing your video in to PC to edit or make a DVD/CD, you will require a very huge huge.....hard disk. 1 minute of video requires 100 MB of HDD.

Last edited by satish_appasani : 24th May 2005 at 19:32.
Old 24th May 2005, 21:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

whoa!! this is getting too much for me to understand....guys help me pick out the right one
Old 24th May 2005, 21:46   #18
SMG
BHPian

I think we already have a thread on Camcorder. Moderators , please merge this with that old one.
Old 25th May 2005, 08:46   #19
BHPian

i have a preety sick Sony mini-DV camcorder...its really small and i brought it to india in 2003. I might bring it again this time to keep with me, whenever i travel around india and ohter places when i get off of school and stuff. I can always tape our team-bhp stuff too
Old 25th May 2005, 11:53   #20
BHPian

Check these sites

Karthik, Please check these sites

DVspot

Camcorderinfo

These sites have the reviews of most of the camcorders with ratings, sample pics and videos.

Hope this will help you out.

Thanks,
Dmitri
Old 25th May 2005, 12:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
If you plan to burn VCDs from your cassettes on home PC, make sure you also buy IEEE 1394/Firewire card for your computer.
If you have USB 2 on your PC go for a camcorder that supports USB 2 tranfer - faster than Firewire and doesnt require you to buy a firewire card either.

The advantage of going for the Mini DVD or Micro-drive camcorders is that you dont need to convert the format for your PC as they record in MPEG, which means that you can pop the DVD into your PC or transfer from the Camcorder to PC using USB and start watching without any conversion. Quite convenient, but then Mini DV Tape quality is better than Mini DVD. Not sure how it compares with those recorded on Micro-drive, though.
Old 25th May 2005, 12:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you have USB 2 on your PC go for a camcorder that supports USB 2 tranfer - faster than Firewire and doesnt require you to buy a firewire card either.
Cool, I didnt know that USB 2.0 is faster than Firewire. What speeds does it support?

What are MiniDVD and MicroDrive camcorders? I thought there are MiniDV and MicroDV camcorders. What is difference between them? I'll also search on net.

MiniDV dumps video as raw DV data, which needs to be converted to various formats using Ulead or Movie Maker or your fav. video capture tool. Of course, you can store as raw DV data, which is the best quality, but it takes up humongous space on disk.
Old 25th May 2005, 12:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Cool, I didnt know that USB 2.0 is faster than Firewire. What speeds does it support?

What are MiniDVD and MicroDrive camcorders? I thought there are MiniDV and MicroDV camcorders. What is difference between them? I'll also search on net.
USB 2 has 3 speeds depending on the quality and rating of your cables - normal, high speed and full speed. Check on the web for the speeds supported.

MiniDVD camcorders carry a mini DVD in place of a tape drive and records directly onto the DVD. Its recorded in MPEG, so you can pop the DVD into your PC and watch directly.

MicroDrives are the mini hard discs - the same storage media used by the iPoDs. These are tiny hard drives that take up very little space and provide tonnes of storage. I dont know if there are MicroDrive readers for PCs that allow you to push these in like an SD Card or CF Card or even a floppy, but almost all MicroDrive devices support USB 2 making transfers as simple as plug and play.
Old 25th May 2005, 22:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

so guys i've decided to buy this cam now...the model is Sony DCR-HC42E, here is more details abt the cam...tell me what u guys think..

1.0 Megapixel (Gross) Advanced HAD CCD Imager
MiniDV Recording
12X Optical/480X Digital Zoom
Professional Quality Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar Lens
Progressive Shutter System
Analog To Digital Conversion with Pass-Through
Super SteadyShot Picture Stabilization System
2.7'wide Touch Panel SwivelScreen LCD Display (123K Pixels)
Handycam Station
USB Streaming
i.LINK DV Interface
InfoLithium Battery with AccuPower Meter System
Picture Package Software
Digital Still Memory Mode with Memory Stick Duo Media
Tele Macro Function
Active Interface Shoe
Super NightShot Plus Infrared System
Stamina Battery Power Management System
Program AE (Auto Exposure) Modes
Picture Effects
Battery Information
Manual Focus
Easy Handycam Button.

Imaging Device: 1/5.5' 1070K Gross Pixel CCD
Video Actual: 690K Pixels
Still Actual: 1000K Pixels
F: 1.8 2.5
Focal Distance: 3 350mm (Telemacro)
35mm Conversion: 48 576mm (4:3) Camera: 46 628.5mm (16:9) Memory: 40 480mm (4:3) Camera
Filter Diameter: 25mm
Optical Zoom: 12X
Digital Zoom: 480X
Carl Zeiss Lens: Yes, Vario-Tessar
Focusing: Full Range Auto/Manual (Touch Panel)
SteadyShot Image Stabilization: Yes, Super SteadyShot
Minimum Illumination : 7 Lux (0 Lux with NightShot Plus Infrared System)
NightShot Infrared System : Super NightShot Plus
Shutter Speed: 1/2 1/4000 (AE Mode) li>Viewfinder : Color, 123K Pixels
LCD : 2.7' Color (123K)
Accessory Shoe : Yes, Active Interface
Video Input/Output : Yes/Yes (Special)
Audio Input/Output : Yes/Yes (Stereo, Special)
Interface Connector for Handycam Station: Yes
USB : Yes (On Handycam Station)
USB Streaming : Yes
LANC(Accessory) Terminal : Yes
Memory Stick Compatibility: Yes, Memory Stick PRO Duo
White Balance : Auto/Outdoor/Indoor/One-push
Exposure : Yes, Touch Panel (24 steps)
Power Consumption (VF/LCD/VF+LCD): 2.6W/3.0W/3.2W
Dimensions (W x H x D): 2 1/4' x 3 5/8' x 4 1/2' (54.7 x 90 x 111.7mm)
Weight: 14.5 oz (410g) w/out Tape and Battery

Last edited by karthik247 : 25th May 2005 at 22:24.
Old 25th May 2005, 23:54   #25
SMG
BHPian

What about the price? SONY is no doubt a good brand that one can trust.

Although I don’t intend to spoil your party, allow me to share my own experience (and several of my friends’ for that matter) with you. If you are not planning it for any commercial / professional use then buy the cheapest one.

Because once the initial enthusiasm is over such a costly gadget ends up in a closet gathering dust as a dead investment.
Old 26th May 2005, 00:24   #26
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG
If you are not planning it for any commercial / professional use then buy the cheapest one.

Because once the initial enthusiasm is over such a costly gadget ends up in a closet gathering dust as a dead investment.
I totally agree with this because of my personal experience......

The 1 Megapixel still camera option is totally useless and you will never use this since you will anyway be going with a good digital camera with > 3 Megapixel for good quality photographs...

Have a look at the lower end model DCR-HC21E... It has a good optical zoom of 20X which is very useful while shooting....

also.. the bigger the LCD screen... the lesser is the battery backup....

Last edited by cnu : 26th May 2005 at 00:26.
Old 26th May 2005, 15:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

This one costs Rs.31,000. Well i know i that it'll prob. end up like that, but once i get one, it'll be more difficult upgrading it..So i'm thinking like get a good one when u buy one.
Old 26th May 2005, 15:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

the same model is available for 28,000 in the grey market here(non refurbished).
and around 5k more at the sony world ( 3yrs warranty-peace of mind).
Old 26th May 2005, 18:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

This price in with the authorised dealer with warranty. Won't wanna take a risk buy it from grey market for 3k less
Old 26th May 2005, 19:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Steeroid,

Theoretically though USB 2.0 is faster than Firewire, it's not yet universally accepted. And all the video editing software can only recognize Firewire ports for capturing Video.

MPEG is a compressed format which is just good if you want to pop the DVD from camcorder directly in to a PC or TV and do not want to edit the video. AVI is a raw format containing more details. Though some software accept MPEG files, some serious software like Premiere work well with only AVI format.

Micro DV is a preopreitory format by Sony and only Sony's video editing software regognizes it. No other softwares can capture form Micro DV.

Finally, If you want to do more than just shooting the videos and watching on TV, then Mini DV and firewire are the way to go....atleast for the time being.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks