Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2009, 10:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Any UNIX/LINUX C++ Developer out there??

Is there any unix (or linux) - c/c++ developer out there ??
(Hmm... I could hear echoes as if it is being asked in a vast and empty mountain area)

I am asking this to know more about the kind of development environment you have, how 'Visual' it is, and how do you compare it with any development experience using Visual Studio in Windows.

In my team, people still are doing development using primitive ways, i.e., using VI editor or gvim. Nobody knows what Intellisense is and how the IDE can help a developer while writing code. The GUI development is pathetic, where people write the gui code (using Xwindows) all by hand and nobody uses any Visual GUI development tools at all.

So, if you happen to develop c/c++ in unix or linux, and if you are using any kind of modern development tools or anything better than what I wrote above, it would be of great help if you provide the details, so that I can try implementing it in my team.

We develop in Unix Solaris and Redhat Linux. There are few servers, which all developers access using Exceed (not even EOD) from their XP boxes.

I was a Windows developer and I am quite new to unix linux platform, so I thought of asking someone who has experience, rather than researching myself first.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 27th April 2009, 10:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

LOL. Welcome to the dark world of unix!

btw, isnt Intellisense a tool for Windows? Why would a unix developer know anything about that?

And did you just call vi primitive? Oh brother....

The only tool i use is cscope. its a code browser. And its free. You will find it pretty handy.
Old 27th April 2009, 10:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Same here. vim+cscope for almost a decade. I did not need anything else.
Old 27th April 2009, 11:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

I use kscope frontend for source browsing/searching.
Old 27th April 2009, 11:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the quick responses amitoj, deepahon & srishiva!

Yes, some developers here use cscope of course.

With all respect, VI is a very good text editor. But when it comes to c++ development, a good IDE with smart intellisense, source browsing capabilities, symbol search, integrated build and debugger is light years ahead of VI.

Anyone has ever tried any cross compilation? Anyone using Eclipse?

I have one idea, and that's already been put to practice here. The source files from unix/linux is shared over windows using Samba file server. The developers run eclpse or Visual Studio in windows through they open up the source files and develop. But I feel this is not very easy to set up in the first place. Another issue is that deveopers need to go back to unix/linux to build the changes and debug.

Any other ideas/suggestions welcome...

Last edited by clevermax : 27th April 2009 at 11:14.
Old 27th April 2009, 11:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

do ppl still use emacs?

I remember using it during my coll.
Had far too many features ...
Old 27th April 2009, 11:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
With all respect, VI is a very good text editor. But when it comes to c++ development, a good IDE with smart intellisense, source browsing capabilities, symbol search, integrated build and debugger is light years ahead of VI.
Arre baba vi (or vim, since vim has virtually replaced the old vi all over unix) has all those features. See this
Vim documentation: usr_toc

If you feel you will be more comfortable with a GUI type of editor, then you can try emacs.

Both vim and emacs do all the things that a Visual Studio editor can, and then some more.

By the way, your suggestion of opening files in VS means you are paying microsoft license fee just to view files. Overkill, isnt it?
Old 27th April 2009, 11:30   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

One: Depending on what you end product is eclipse django anjuta or bluefish could be used.

Two: I am not a programmer but people swear by emacc or xemacs
Old 27th April 2009, 12:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
By the way, your suggestion of opening files in VS means you are paying microsoft license fee just to view files. Overkill, isnt it?
That's Visual Studio Express, which is free. That was just tried out as part of our exercise on liberating developers from the dark world

I have used cscope with gvim. I agree that the functionalities of Visual Studio or Eclipse is there. May be it can do much more. But the WYSIWYG factor is missing and the UI development still sucks unless you use some kind of 'Visual' UI authoring tool.

And, for me, VI, Gvim all are the same. If I don't get the whole line selected when I do a Home->Shift->End, that's not an editor for me. Yes the IBM PC keyboard spoiled me

I used to develop C++ in Visual Studio with Visual Assist plugin installed. I'd say it is a different kind of experience altogether. It enables the developer to concentrate more on the (business) logic or algortihm which he/she is envisaging and trying to implement rather than paying some attention to the commands which needs to be typed in or the syntax of the code.

Last edited by clevermax : 27th April 2009 at 12:13.
Old 27th April 2009, 12:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's Visual Studio Express, which is free. That was just tried out as part of our exercise on liberating developers from the dark world
Ah ok

What toolkit are you using for GUI development? Its been a long time since i delved in that, but i think Qt toolkit might be helpful as far as GUI development is concerned. I think it comes with its own IDE as well.
Old 27th April 2009, 12:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Ah ok

What toolkit are you using for GUI development? Its been a long time since i delved in that, but i think Qt toolkit might be helpful as far as GUI development is concerned. I think it comes with its own IDE as well.
amitoj, I've heard about the QT toolkit. I dont know how costly it is. Currently, to make Xwindows based dialogs, people write this .frm files by hand, and run some command over it which will create the actual C file which can render the dialog when run. Then they write the event handling code in the autogenerated functions in that C file. Tedious process isn't it?
Old 27th April 2009, 12:25   #12
BHPian

You can look at Kdevelop on Linux. It is a full featured IDE supposed to be on similar lines to Visual Studio.
Old 27th April 2009, 13:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
You can look at Kdevelop on Linux. It is a full featured IDE supposed to be on similar lines to Visual Studio.
kDevelop seems to answer my needs... But only for linux... :( Thanks a lot cypher for pointing out...
Old 27th April 2009, 14:05   #14
BHPian

Quote:
kDevelop seems to answer my needs... But only for linux... :( Thanks a lot cypher for pointing out...
Which flavour of UNIX are you working on?

The KDE website mentions that it runs on many flavours of UNIX. You may be able to get Kdevelop running on a non-Linux platform. BTW, eclipse can also be used for C++ development. Though, not sure about its support for GUI development.

Last edited by cypher : 27th April 2009 at 14:10.
Old 27th April 2009, 14:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

not a developer/programmer.as gnu/linux got 2 famous gui toolkits - gtk+(gnome) and qt(kde) .for gtk+ ,glade is what I think developers will prefer.
Anjuta is a C/C++ IDE .
Is there any GTK+ IDE? - Ubuntu Forums

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks