Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2009, 17:43   #1
BHPian

IBM Thinkpad LCD replacement

My laptop LCD has gone ( or that's what IBM services guys say ).There are vertical lines on the screen which has now filled the entire screen.IBM service guys are quoting an exorbitant amount ~ 35000 for replacement.Is there any cheaper alternative ?Iam just wary of local guys getting any other parts replaced when I give it to them if atall.Have anyone went through the same before ?
Old 5th May 2009, 18:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

35K what, hit the same TP on his head. Should cost you around 12K max.

What size, model ?
Old 5th May 2009, 18:19   #3
BHPian

Hi Rajiv,

Yes.Price 31798 + 4% tax + 1500 service charge ( for out of warranty laptops ) + 12.36% service tax for 1500.

Is 12000 you are quoting directly from IBM authorized center?

Thanks
Old 5th May 2009, 18:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Check the spare price with IBM and outside.

Laptop LCD replacement is not a very daunting task and should not take more than an hour max. If getting it done outside, insist on your presence there.
Old 5th May 2009, 18:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

LCD panel costs 6k. With connectors etc total cost would be around 8 -10k in Grey market.
Old 5th May 2009, 18:59   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPGB View Post
My laptop LCD has gone ( or that's what IBM services guys say ).There are vertical lines on the screen which has now filled the entire screen.IBM service guys are quoting an exorbitant amount ~ 35000 for replacement.Is there any cheaper alternative ?Iam just wary of local guys getting any other parts replaced when I give it to them if atall.Have anyone went through the same before ?
Its a R52 model IBM Thinkpad...
Old 5th May 2009, 19:00   #7
BHPian

There is a chap in Indiranagar who did a good job for me once. LCD was replaced at 1/2 the cost quoted by hp service. You could try with him, but I'm not sure if he exclusively hp/compaq. PM me if you need the number.
Old 5th May 2009, 19:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

the ibm guy is quoting 35k for the lcd or for a new thinkpad (which is not available now), i have ibm lap r51 series and having smiler problem with it, i had checked with the local computer guy he quoted me 6.5k for it.

which model do you have ?

Last edited by karankapoor : 5th May 2009 at 19:18.
Old 5th May 2009, 19:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

You can buy a brand new laptop for 35k. And its quoted, not coated!!
Old 5th May 2009, 22:16   #10
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...y-cracked.html

very recent thread on same issue. replaced for 8000 Rs. hope this helps.
Old 5th May 2009, 23:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Who quoted you this price? Lenovo Center?

Unfortunately I am away from office for next 10 days, otherwise I could have checked the price.

Still, let me know the model and will try to let you know the authentic price. Also try outside as well, they might quote you less

Quote:
Hi Rajiv,

Yes.Price 31798 + 4% tax + 1500 service charge ( for out of warranty laptops ) + 12.36% service tax for 1500.

Is 12000 you are quoting directly from IBM authorized center?

Thanks
Old 6th May 2009, 00:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
R52 has 2 types of screens 14 or 15 you need to check what your system came with. if you see the link below it quotes a price of 7k for screen this is for 15 which should be a little higher than the 14.

so overall even if the replacement service cost it 2k and the screen is 7k it should come up to 9k in total why are they quoting such a high price have you tried with different service centers?

Buy IBM Lenovo LCD Replacement Screen 15 in LCD Screen | IBM Lenovo | Laptop LCD Screens | Computers & Accessories | GADGETS.IN at Gadgets.in - an Online Shopping Store! Electronic Gadgets & Gift items in India

have you tried to connect it to a external monitor is it fine with that ? it could even be a cable flex that connects the screen to the board.
Old 6th May 2009, 09:30   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
the ibm guy is quoting 35k for the lcd or for a new thinkpad (which is not available now), i have ibm lap r51 series and having smiler problem with it, i had checked with the local computer guy he quoted me 6.5k for it.

Hi Karan,I have a R52 model

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
That's what I thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post

Hi Comrade,Just checked the thread.Will negotiate with local guys if they are asking me something more than what I get using gadgets.in

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post

Unfortunately I am away from office for next 10 days, otherwise I could have checked the price.

Still, let me know the model and will try to let you know the authentic price. Also try outside as well, they might quote you less
Hi Rajiv,Yes.I went to Subramanyam Arcade office to check the price and they gave me a mail id.I got a quote from them when I gave some serial number,etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeel View Post
R52 has 2 types of screens 14 or 15 you need to check what your system came with. if you see the link below it quotes a price of 7k for screen this is for 15 which should be a little higher than the 14.

so overall even if the replacement service cost it 2k and the screen is 7k it should come up to 9k in total why are they quoting such a high price have you tried with different service centers?

Buy IBM Lenovo LCD Replacement Screen 15 in LCD Screen | IBM Lenovo | Laptop LCD Screens | Computers & Accessories | GADGETS.IN at Gadgets.in - an Online Shopping Store! Electronic Gadgets & Gift items in India

have you tried to connect it to a external monitor is it fine with that ? it could even be a cable flex that connects the screen to the board.
Hi Akeel,Iam not sure about the exact screen size.Will check it out.I connected to external monitor and it works fine.Should I be asking to check the cable flex as well ?
Old 6th May 2009, 09:35   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post

Hi Karan,Its for the lcd they are quoting.I'll need to check with local guys.I've a R52

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
That's what I thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post

Hi Comrade,Will check out the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post

Hi Rajiv,Thanks for your help anyways.Yes I went to Subramanyam Arcade.Anywhere else I can check ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeel View Post

Hi akeel,Iam not sure abt the screensize.Will check it out.External monitor works well.Should I ask to check the cable flex ?
Old 6th May 2009, 10:06   #15
BHPian

Had the same issue about 4 months back my Toshiba Portege LCD packed up, HCL guys quoted 28K.

I opened the laptop, noted the specs and dimensions of the LCD / TFT (it was samsung in my case), called up my regular computer spares dealer in Jayanagar, he back ordered the same part from Mumbai. Got it in 2 days, did the replacement my self. Chapter closed in 9K and 3 days flat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks