Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 22:14   #76
BHPian

you can download the setting for GPRS by sending SMS to 58355 . Send make and model no i.e "NOKIA E71". Then you will receive five service message for different access points i.e bsnlstream (used in real player setting for playing stream in real player ),bsnlwap ( to browse sites form your mobile ),bsnlnet ( to browse internet through your laptop connected through your mobile via cable or bluetooth, you can use it to browse internet through your mobile also if it has full html browser ),bsnlportal (to browse BSNL portal , you can surf this for to download ringtone video etc),bsnllive (to browse special portal for 3G ) and bsnlmms(for mms). If setting not received for one particular handset then try to send SMS for similar model (i.e. for nokia E72 , if you send NOKIA E71 its working. Also for NOKIA , "NOKIA 6600 " working for most of the time).
Also on 3G you can send my3gtv to 55447 to download live TV application. It will send you access point for TV and link to download mobile TV application.
Old 31st March 2010, 00:11   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman18 View Post
you can download the setting for GPRS by sending SMS to 58355 . Send make and model no i.e "NOKIA E71". Then you will receive five service message for different access points i.e bsnlstream (used in real player setting for playing stream in real player ),bsnlwap ( to browse sites form your mobile ),bsnlnet ( to browse internet through your laptop connected through your mobile via cable or bluetooth, you can use it to browse internet through your mobile also if it has full html browser ),bsnlportal (to browse BSNL portal , you can surf this for to download ringtone video etc),bsnllive (to browse special portal for 3G ) and bsnlmms(for mms). If setting not received for one particular handset then try to send SMS for similar model (i.e. for nokia E72 , if you send NOKIA E71 its working. Also for NOKIA , "NOKIA 6600 " working for most of the time).
Also on 3G you can send my3gtv to 55447 to download live TV application. It will send you access point for TV and link to download mobile TV application.
I didn't get any service settings by sending Nokia E71 to 58355. I called up BSNL customer center, they repeat the same old story.
Old 31st March 2010, 15:14   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
I didn't get any service settings by sending Nokia E71 to 58355. I called up BSNL customer center, they repeat the same old story.
Its working fine here in North. You can also try the following link. GPRS_Setting. On this page select your state and and login . Please note that setting for GPRS and 3G are same .
Old 7th April 2010, 20:29   #79
BHPian

Hi guys, yet another question. Is the 3g USIM capable of reaching speeds > 2mbps on data cards only, but not when plugged into 3g phones (and then the laptop/PC)?
Reason: when i accessed the internet through the Nokia PC suite (with the cellphone interfaced to the laptop), a so-called USB modem interface gets activated, displaying a network speed of 460.8 (or was that 406.8)kbps. Does it mean that the above method works in GPRS mode itself, but not 3g?

Last edited by dkamath : 7th April 2010 at 20:33.
Old 8th April 2010, 00:02   #80
BHPian

Anyone know is there any unlimited plan in BSNL 3G ? what are the charges for Unlimited 3G plan for postpaid BSNL (Cellone) Users ?
Currently using BSNL GPRS Unlimited plan of Rs.199 Per month and thinking to change and get 3G.
Old 8th April 2010, 00:31   #81
BHPian

Are 3G services available for Pune Users?
Old 9th April 2010, 16:30   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Anyone know is there any unlimited plan in BSNL 3G ? what are the charges for Unlimited 3G plan for postpaid BSNL (Cellone) Users ?
Currently using BSNL GPRS Unlimited plan of Rs.199 Per month and thinking to change and get 3G.
Unlimited plan cost you Rs 2499/- PM. Pl check BSNL SITE for more details. Also I observe one think , if you connect GPRS with 3G enabled hand set (With network set to GSM and UMTS both ), then date surfing speed is very good compare to 2G handset. This is due to the fact that 3G is less loaded then the 2G. You can try this if you have 3G handset
Old 16th May 2010, 15:45   #83
BHPian

16Mb/s plan from BSNL worth it?

Hi guys,

Looking for a faster internet for better life.

.:BB HIGH SPEED:.

I'm planning to switch to 16Mbps, 110GB cap, Rs. 5k/month plan.

Is that even available in Punjab?

Is there a better option? Tata, Connect, Airtel are not available in my "city" area. Even mailed Tata's nodal officer. His reply was positive about spreading. A year has gone after that reply.

It also mentions some VDSL modem. What's the difference from ADSL modem?

I wonder why these plans haven't been talked about here yet.

Is there anything better? ??????????
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody using BSNL 3G-screen-shot-20100515-9.33.52-pm.png  

Last edited by Gurpartap Singh : 16th May 2010 at 15:49.
Old 16th May 2010, 18:26   #84
BHPian

Hi Gurpartap,

I wont be able to comment on how good BSNL service is since its not available in Metro's like Mumbai.

Though, if you see the chat below there's a "#" for the "up to 16 MBPS" plan. Which means its only a promotional plan till 3rd June 2010. Not sure what's going to happen after that.

Also please note that its "up to 16 MBPS" and not "16 MBPS". There's a lot of difference between these two, as in "up to", you wont get the complete bandwidth however depending on number of people sharing the bandwidth, you might get that speed. Also I guess you wont be getting the exact download speed of 16 MBPS, as in India the ISP's have a compression ratio of 1:8 (Until they don't specify so. Need to confirm from BSNL), which means in case you get the complete of speed of 16 MBPS, then your download speed would be around 2 MBPS (Eg: Download a file/Song).

I hope it helps.
Old 16th May 2010, 19:19   #85
Team-BHP Support

Lets come to services next.
First I have a primary question:

How would you differentiate speeds more than 4MBps. Can you name an application where higher speeds more than 4MBps can make a difference?

Only case I can think of is:

You have 3 to 4 users at home getting connected through WiFi/DHCP and all of them wants high BW at the same time.

Current 2MBps plans themselves are very costly. A 2MBps unlimited is 3K per month for Airtel (Not aware of BSNL).

Currently I am very satisfied with 1 MBps unlimited. Streaming videos work very well with them (with one guy being connected).

First you also need to confirm if your home AP (Modem/Router) + ISP LE (Local Exchange) can actually provide you that BW.

Last edited by ampere : 16th May 2010 at 19:21.
Old 17th May 2010, 00:14   #86
Senior - BHPian

Look carefully! The line is not a promised 16mbps. but uptp 16mbps.

VDSl is the fastest among DSL connection with downstream of upto 54Mbps and upstream of 16Mbps. But it has limitation of about a kms on standard copper pair.

using fibre optic transiever will overcome this.
Old 17th May 2010, 18:31   #87
BHPian

as 1000bhp said,
check the connection Ratio.
That's the number of users connected to your line.
If you have a connection ratio of 1:10, that means 1 16MBps line is shared between 10 people. [If the other 9 are offline then you'll get close to full speed.]

Also a lot of ISPs don't differentiate between MB & Mb.
MB = Mega Bytes
Mb = Mega bits

1 MB = 8 or 10Mb

That means your ISP might be selling you a 16 Mbps like that is close to 1.6 MBps.

Make sure to clarify that. If the ISP guys tell you its the same, then they are lying. [Some Tata Indicom guys tried to use that one on me, in vain.]

Look for Network monitoring tools like Net Medic or NetPerSec to monitor your download speeds. Make sure all the settings are oriented to MB or Mega Bytes.

EDIT: Just saw the image
It states Mbps.
so it's actually 1.6 MBps.
That means downloading a 700 MB movie will not take 43.75 seconds [under ideal conditions], but closer to 7 Minutes 20 Seconds [again under Ideal conditions].

Also your internet is as fast as the slowest connection. So in spite of having a 16 Mbps connection you may get FAR slower speeds because of a slow server connection somewhere in the middle.

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 17th May 2010 at 18:36.
Old 4th July 2010, 11:11   #88
BHPian

3G in pune?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Are 3G services available for Pune Users?
3G in pune?

Recently got transferred to Pune. Need a data plan for my mobile (E72). Is 3G available in Pune?
Old 4th July 2010, 22:50   #89
BHPian

I have been using BSNL 3G from the day it was launched in BLR. Used it in Delhi, UP, Mumbai, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Cochin etc during my travels. I migrated my plan to 3G, and also got another 256kb 3G SIM Card, as a promotional offer.

Max speed on 3G in blr- About 2.8Mbps consistent, burst rate of 3.2Mbps once, and compared to their EVDO data card, this one is far far better with consistent speeds.
*Switching between 2G and 3G(UMTS) while on a call is still not smooth, and sometime (rarely) the call drops during the handover.

Kolkata has the worst service. Handset shows full signal, but not at all consistent in most areas. Areas near Bell veu hospital, park circus, and Airport are better off.

Hyderabad is better, but again call transfers from 2G to 3G is not smooth.

Kerala was amongst the best (BSNL has good service), with around consistent 1.8Mbps data speed. (Surprisingly BSNL EVDO data card on 1.0X was giving around 250Kbps..!!)

Again in NCR, i suppose its MTNl- but i was not very happy with the data speed, especially in our offices at Gurgoan.

Using a Nokia E52.
Old 5th July 2010, 00:02   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
3G in pune?

Recently got transferred to Pune. Need a data plan for my mobile (E72). Is 3G available in Pune?
As per adverts in Times of India (Pune Ed) and adverts at bus stops, BSNL 3G is available in Pune.
Check the following links and call up BSNL:
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.- India's No. 1 Telecommunications Company
3G Home Page

Most Viewed